DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad 4 mini cellular -or- 5.5 CrystalSky

BilliamB

Reactions
i like the Mavic but becuase I cant see the screen on my S7 I cant enjoy the Mavic so I am going buy a new display. I know the crystalsky works outdoors but it is thick, runs android and kinda crippled. The ipad is cheaper and more versatile but is the screen really viewable outdoors in bright sunlight?

Reactions: n7011n
i like the Mavic but becuase I cant see the screen on my S7 I cant enjoy the Mavic so I am going buy a new display. I know the crystalsky works outdoors but it is thick, runs android and kinda crippled. The ipad is cheaper and more versatile but is the screen really viewable outdoors in bright sunlight?
The iPad definitely gives you more options, I think you will still need a little help in the sun, there are many varieties of sunshade out there that will give you some help. If it is to be a dedicated monitor for DJI, I think I would go with the CrystalSky.

I personally hate sticking my head into a sunshade. For one, if I wanted to do that, I would just use my Goggles, since I'd be oblivious to my surroundings. Having a dedicated monitor for the outdoors, so I don't have to use my Apple device, which is in a case, that comes with hot-swappable batteries, dual SD card slots, and I believe a bidirectional HDMI port, as well as custom buttons, seems like a much better option than something dedicated to the Mavic, but that can do so much more in terms of software, but fails in the sunlight, IMHO.

... and I believe a bidirectional HDMI port...

As standard, no, there are no video inputs on Crystalsky.

... but.... there is a very new statement from one of the DJI reps that there will be an add-on accessory that will enable HDMI and SDI input and loop out...

This is all we know right now:

Two sdi ports. one in one out. for loop out sdi signal.
two hdmi ports. one in one out. for loop out hdmi signal.
can be powered by ronin 2 and communicate ronin 2 via cable.

iPad mini 4 on sale at BestBuy for $299 128 gig. I use it on all my DJI platforms. I had a P4P+ with "quazi" CrystalSky and the small screen was crippling for me and did not notice a drastic difference in direct sunlight. Besides, the iPad mini will not require an additional tablet mount for the RC

i am leaning towards CrystalSky because it does not require a sun shade. iPad fits and is more useful BUT is not truly made for bright, outdoor viewing.

neither option is ideal.

Will DJI ever get their act together? I have come to learn that if DJI doesnt have everything available on the release day that they might not ever and when they do it wont be cheap.

i onder if Apple store will let me take an iPad 4 outside and try it out, they will if they want me to buy one.

As standard, no, there are no video inputs on Crystalsky.

... but.... there is a very new statement from one of the DJI reps that there will be an add-on accessory that will enable HDMI and SDI input and loop out...

This is all we know right now:

Will DJI ever get their act together? I have come to learn that if DJI doesnt have everything available on the release day that they might not ever and when they do it wont be cheap.

i onder if Apple store will let me take an iPad 4 outside and try it out, they will if they want me to buy one.
If you went to an Apple Store that wasn't inside a mall I guarantee they'll let you take it outside. With that said, you'll shortly see comparison videos popping up.

This might help you decide...don't get hung up on thinking that the P4P+ is not CrystalSky, because the bottom line is that the P4P+ and base CrystalSky tout 2X brightness over over devices.

I have no experience with the CrystalSky-display but I have the iPad Mini 4 128GB (cellular) with the PGYTech iPad Mini 4 sun-hood (L168) and feel that I dont need anything else! Super nice fit, easy/fast assembly. Sure that CrystalSky-display might be incredible but with this setup, I feel that I don´t need it.

i'd like to thank everyone for their input but I think it is time to sell my DJI Mavic because it just isnt ready for prime time.

Mavic, three batteries, DJI ND Filter set, padded foam case, extra props, sunshade - $1,000.

i'd like to thank everyone for their input but I think it is time to sell my DJI Mavic because it just isnt ready for prime time.

Mavic, three batteries, DJI ND Filter set, padded foam case, extra props, sunshade - $1,000.
PLOT TWIST!!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada