DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad mini 2/4 for dji go4 /mavic

babmingren

Reactions
Hey i'm about to buy a ipad mini to use with the mavic. But not sure what to get cause really like the iPad to have GPS so i can change the rth point. But does every iPad mini2/3/4 have it or only does with cellular models.

Only the cellular iPad models contain a GPS receiver. You can use the GPS even if you don't activate the cell service.

GPS will still be enabled when airplane mode is enabled on an iPhone.

Only issue is you won't have live maps if you don't use the cellular. Means you have to 'prefly' the area to cache the maps. There is some discussion at the moment wether the maps save when the ipad is turned off though. I did a test last night, viewed an area I have not been before then turned on airplane mode and rebooted. Maps were still there for me went I opened it again.

Would be nice if the iOS version had a manual map download like the Android does.

Cell version also has the barometer for height information. Certain flight modes can follow the controller and adjust height accordingly

What I do is tether my Ipad to my Iphone (hotspot), bring up DJI GO app so it loads the maps for my current (flying) location. Once I see the map of the area, I "untether" my Ipad from my Iphone and continue with the rest of my preflight checklist...

To the OP - If you can afford it, I'd go with the the Ipad Mini 4. It has a faster processor and is still produced by Apple which means it'll be supported for a longer period of time. I notice my Ipad Air, which has the same processor as the Ipad Mini 2, can sometimes lag a little at times, momentary freeze, or draws in a partial "green screen". Never so bad as to be a problem. Just something I noticed. My Ipad Mini 4 and my Ipad Air 2 have no such issues.

Only issue is you won't have live maps if you don't use the cellular. Means you have to 'prefly' the area to cache the maps. There is some discussion at the moment wether the maps save when the ipad is turned off though. I did a test last night, viewed an area I have not been before then turned on airplane mode and rebooted. Maps were still there for me went I opened it again.

Would be nice if the iOS version had a manual map download like the Android does.

What I do is tether my Ipad to my Iphone (hotspot), bring up DJI GO app so it loads the maps for my current (flying) location. Once I see the map of the area, I "untether" my Ipad from my Iphone and continue with the rest of my preflight checklist...

To the OP - If you can afford it, I'd go with the the Ipad Mini 4. It has a faster processor and is still produced by Apple which means it'll be supported for a longer period of time. I notice my Ipad Air, which has the same processor as the Ipad Mini 2, can sometimes lag a little at times, momentary freeze, or draws in a partial "green screen". Never so bad as to be a problem. Just something I noticed. My Ipad Mini 4 and my Ipad Air 2 have no such issues.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22