DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad mini 2 drains battery like crazy

Frits

Reactions
I love flying with my iPad mini 2, but it drains the battery very fast. I will be in a flight with the mini charged to 100% and I will get a low battery warning within 6 - 8 minutes. Flew this week and got the low battery warning. Hauled in the Mavic and the Mini showed 6% left!!
The other day it cold shut down after less than 10 minutes.

Video cache is off and I barely have anything else on this iPad.

When flying with my iPhone 6 all is good with minimal battery frain.

Thinking of getting an iPad mini 4 dedivated to the Mavic.

Thoughts, comments?

Thanks!

Thats way too fast of a battery drain. I fly with my mini 2 and can fly all three Mavic Pro batteries and have a good amount of battery left.

Did you buy the Ipad mini 2 used? Previous owner may have used it for quite some time and diminished the total capacity of the ipad mini 2 's battery.

Want me to charge up the Ipad mini 2 to 100 percent and fly 3 batteries back to back so that I can determine how much battery life should /would be left?

I have a new Ipad Mini 2 with Cellular BTW.

I love flying with my iPad mini 2, but it drains the battery very fast. I will be in a flight with the mini charged to 100% and I will get a low battery warning within 6 - 8 minutes. Flew this week and got the low battery warning. Hauled in the Mavic and the Mini showed 6% left!!
The other day it cold shut down after less than 10 minutes.

Video cache is off and I barely have anything else on this iPad.

When flying with my iPhone 6 all is good with minimal battery frain.

Thinking of getting an iPad mini 4 dedivated to the Mavic.

Thoughts, comments?

Thanks!
Personally, I'm waiting for the DJI CrystalSky monitors to come out. Those are dedicated screens for the DJI drones.

Thats way too fast of a battery drain. I fly with my mini 2 and can fly all three Mavic Pro batteries and have a good amount of battery left.

Did you buy the Ipad mini 2 used? Previous owner may have used it for quite some time and diminished the total capacity of the ipad mini 2 's battery.

Want me to charge up the Ipad mini 2 to 100 percent and fly 3 batteries back to back so that I can determine how much battery life should /would be left?

I have a new Ipad Mini 2 with Cellular BTW.
Bought it new and it always served me well. I am really puzzled by this.

I'd say it's the cold too, had mine shut off after about 30 min due to low battery, warmed it up in my jacket and had about 60% battery when warm

Temp was about -20c

Yes, but that does not seem to bother my iPhone.

Could be because phones are usually in pockets before flying so they are probably somewhat warmer? whereas ipads are already cool to start not to mention the battery is a lot bigger and has more surface area to cool down quicker?

Could be because phones are usually in pockets before flying so they are probably somewhat warmer? whereas ipads are already cool to start not to mention the battery is a lot bigger and has more surface area to cool down quicker?
Thanks, that is what I think also.

Thanks all for your comments. It seems that I have an issue with my Mini 2 when flying the Mavic.
Must be some setting that just drains the battery when I fly the Mavic. Other than that the battery life seems OK.

Note that it is the WiFi only model that I connect through the personal hotspot of my iPhone 6.

Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get a mini 4 WiFi + cellular version. Less hassle, better screen and obviously a superior processor.

use a use charger battery block and plug into the mav remote and it will fly 10+ batteroes ;)

use a use charger battery block and plug into the mav remote and it will fly 10+ batteroes ;)
My remote is fine and its battery lasts a long time. It is my iPad mini that drains very quickly (iPhone is fine).

There's an app called "Battery Life" which will tell you how good or bad the battery is and if it should be replaced or not. Unfortunately, the author appears to have an issue getting Apple to keep it in the App Store. It was there, then unavailable, then back, and as of right now, it is gone again.

On the chance that it comes back:
Battery Life: Your Battery Doctor by Battery Life
Battery Life: Your Battery Doctor on the App Store

I was interested to see how much juice my Ipad Mini would have left after flying 3 batteries as a result of this thread so I flew 3 batteries in my normal flight modes. Then immediately looked at the battery percentage left and it stated 65 %. This was with WiFi an Cellular data switched on and the screen brightness at full.

Seems your iPad mini 2 may have some other app or service running in the background that is draining the battery. It could also be that the battery has less capacity for some reason. They do sell replacement batteries if you were willing to crack open the case and replace. Youtube has instructional videos.

I have not been able to find anything,maybe caused by some app or otherwise, besides the fact that this occurs when it is below the freezing point (although the iPhone 6 does not seem to be bothered by this).

Anyhow....I bit the bullet and got myself an iPad mini 4. Better processor, better screen and this time I got the WiFi + cellular version - no more connecting to my iPhone via personal hotspot. I have not had any opportunity to do some serious flying, but things should be OK now.

Nice upgrade! I love the cellular versions of the iPad for the simplicity of connection and download of maps ,etc

First if you are using the latest version of iOS, go into settings, battery and see which apps are causing the most use, It could also be a software issue, I would perform a DFU reset (look it up in google) then restore it and set up as a new device, you can also go to an Apple Store and if they determine it's a bad battery, they will swap out your unit with a replacement for $79 if there are no other issues with it

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent