DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Mini 3 or 4?

TestPilot

Reactions
I've read mostly about iPad Mini 4 being great for the Mavic. And for the long term, maybe it is better, since it has more RAM, and processing power.

What about iPad Mini 3? Being significantly cheaper of course, and.....the only reason why I would consider getting ANY Apple product is because it is allegedly the most compatible with the Mavic and DJI Go app.

Strangely, I don't read much about people's experiences with the iPad Mini 3.

Anyone using it and flying far and smooth with minimum lag?

Reactions: Trustinclark
I've read that the the mini 2 and 3 have the same processor and both work well. The 4 is slightly faster. I've been considering getting the 2 myself.

Reactions: slavamon
The iPad Mini 4 is lighter, thinner, faster, brighter, has an anti-reflective coating on the screen, and performs better when flying in hot temperatures. The iPad Mini 2/3 still works though.

What about iPad Mini 3?
If you're considering the iPad Mini 3, save some cash and get the iPad Mini 2 instead. With the exception of the thumbprint reader on the iPad Mini 3, both are identical functionality-wise.

I've read mostly about iPad Mini 4 being great for the Mavic. And for the long term, maybe it is better, since it has more RAM, and processing power.

What about iPad Mini 3? Being significantly cheaper of course, and.....the only reason why I would consider getting ANY Apple product is because it is allegedly the most compatible with the Mavic and DJI Go app.

Strangely, I don't read much about people's experiences with the iPad Mini 3.

Anyone using it and flying far and smooth with minimum lag?

Just picked up a Mini 4 yesterday and the anti-reflective coating Msinger mentioned definitely helps. Prices on the 4 were just lowered last week I believe? A worthwhile investment IMHO.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
I picked up a mini 2 for a good price, worked like a charm so far on my mavic. mini 4's were a bit out of my price range at the time or i would have gone for that and future proofed myself a bit more. But, i am happy with what my 2 can do... so dont rule it out!

Just picked up a Mini 4 yesterday and the anti-reflective coating Msinger mentioned definitely helps. Prices on the 4 were just lowered last week I believe? A worthwhile investment IMHO.
I got the Mini 4 a couple of months ago after experiencing countless crashes and disconnects with my Android phone and tablet. I got the cellular version, so it has GPS. After more than 25 flights, it has performed flawlessly... not one issue.

I actually use the iPad Mini 2. It works perfectly and is a fraction of the cost of an iPad Mini 3 or 4. Obviously up to personal preference but thought I'd share my experience!

With technology evolving so rapidly, I'm constantly thinking about my electronics becoming obsolete.

Cost is always a consideration, but if you can afford the newer version of anything, your bound to gain at least an extra year in compatibility.

Just my $0.02

Good luck either way!

I guess, it is either get: a) iPad Mini 4 or b) iPad Mini 2 then. iPad Mini 2 is definitely a fraction of the cost of iPad Mini 4 though.

Also, Apple does not appear to want to upgrade or maintain the iPad Mini line any more. All the rumors so far of an iPad Mini 5 have come to naught. So I wonder how that would affect things as it is.

Reactions: Islandguy27
I guess, it is either get: a) iPad Mini 4 or b) iPad Mini 2 then. iPad Mini 2 is definitely a fraction of the cost of iPad Mini 4 though.

Also, Apple does not appear to want to upgrade or maintain the iPad Mini line any more. All the rumors so far of an iPad Mini 5 have come to naught. So I wonder how that would affect things as it is.

Very true, considering they released the "New" iPad that replaces the Air 2 without any fanfare a week ago today. Granted it was more of a cosmetic upgrade. The only change on the mini 4 last week was a 128 GB version so who knows what is going on with those product lines.

I have just bought a Mini 3 on the Apple refurb store in the UK. The only reason I went for it above the Mini 2 was that they were the same price.

As stated above, the only difference between the Mini 2 and Mini 3 is the thumbprint reader. I wouldn't have paid extra for it, but I am used to using it on my other Apple devices and I thought that the resale price might be a little higher on the later model. I have probably dented my resale price by going for the 16GB model - fine for me as I'll only use it for the Mavic, but others might ignore it as it has too little storage. It was £50 more to get the 32GB.

The Mini 4 is a good upgrade for the anti-reflective screen. I am not sure I'd notice the lighter weight or faster processor when controlling the Mavic with it, but nice to have. Apple UK want £549 for the cellular version and I couldn't find a good one second hand hence going for the Mini 3.

Very true, considering they released the "New" iPad that replaces the Air 2 without any fanfare a week ago today. Granted it was more of a cosmetic upgrade.

I thought it was a bit of a cosmetic downgrade. They have gone back to the thicker iPad Air 1 case (7.5mm vs 6.1mm thickness) and lost the laminated screen with the anti-reflective coating.

The specs are a bit better and the price lower, so not a bad deal overall.

Reactions: Spinylizard
I opted for the much cheaper Ipad mini 2 with no cellular and applied an anti-reflective film. Works great except I'm always in bright sun so I wish it was brighter. I haven't tested brightness side by side with a 4. That would be interesting to see. That's the only reason I'd consider the extra cost.

For cheap iPad minis consider looking on gazelle or swappa. I picked up a 2 for like 150 bucks.

iPad 4 for sure. I've found it to have better visibility in direct sunlight. Still not great but better.

Reactions: Soundtekk
Very true, considering they released the "New" iPad that replaces the Air 2 without any fanfare a week ago today. Granted it was more of a cosmetic upgrade. The only change on the mini 4 last week was a 128 GB version so who knows what is going on with those product lines.

Bring back Steve Jobs.........

Reactions: austindave
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike