DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad Mini.....Version 1 okay?

I_Like_Drones

Reactions
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting an ios based device for my Mavic but as I've NEVER been close to having or using an ipad I really am pretty clueless.

I have an android smartphone which I can use when I get my Mavic but I fancy a dedicated device and it seems an ios based solution will work best.

Will an ipad mini version 1 suffice?

I want gps in the device and I can wifi to my phone's hotpspot for data.

I'm not sure what other considerations I need to...consider, but a large screen would be good, and cheap as chips second hand on ebay is a big bonus in the specs :)

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting an ios based device for my Mavic but as I've NEVER been close to having or using an ipad I really am pretty clueless.

I have an android smartphone which I can use when I get my Mavic but I fancy a dedicated device and it seems an ios based solution will work best.

Will an ipad mini version 1 suffice?

I want gps in the device and I can wifi to my phone's hotpspot for data.

I'm not sure what other considerations I need to...consider, but a large screen would be good, and cheap as chips second hand on ebay is a big bonus in the specs :)
I do not believe the first generation works, I think you need generation 2-4.

Reactions: I_Like_Drones
Thanks for the replies.

What does the 2 have they the 1 doesn't that makes a version 2 the minimum?

And do I need to make sure of anything with a 2 to get the best from it? Do they all have gps, for example?

No. Wifi only ipad does NOT HAVE built in gps. As for the first question, it's just like when you try to download apps to your smart device...some accept it some dont. apps are designed to a minimum platform devices and software versions. If you own an ipad mini 1 and search the go4 app, it just does not finds it

Thanks for the replies.

What does the 2 have they the 1 doesn't that makes a version 2 the minimum?

And do I need to make sure of anything with a 2 to get the best from it? Do they all have gps, for example?

The iPad Mini 2 and 3 have a faster processor and twice as much ram as the iPad Mini 1, the iPad Mini 4 has a faster processor than the 2/3 and twice as much memory again as well as an improved screen with an anti-reflective coating. Depending on the price difference it's worth considering the 4 as it should be supported for longer and it has the better screen as well.

As mentioned above, if you want GPS you'll need the cellular version.

John

Thanks for the advice and info guys.

I''l look out for a cheap Ipad Mini 2 with Cell....so that I have GPS.
It will be dedicated to the Mavic so I want to keep costs to a minimum.

I found iPad air 2 for 200 WiFi only, deals are out there just keep your eyes open and jump when you see it

I've just noticed you're in the UK, smartfonestore have a second hand iPad Mini 2 with cellular for £170 although it's grade C plus they've got a grade C iPad Mini 4 for £240:

Buy cheap new and used/refurbished Apple iPad smartphones or mobile phones

Cex also have second hand ipads, a bit more expensive although they offer a two year warranty period as standard:

CeX (UK) : Stock search

CeX (UK) : Stock search

Those are the ones I was looking at when I was also considering buying an IOS device to use with my Mavic.

I have a Mini 4 WFi only. I use my iPhone as a hotspot and the GPS/maps work fine. It does not even take much battery on my phone.
There are good deals on used/refurbished iPads all over. Just like Rnl said, keep your eyes open and you will find one.

I use a dedicated iPad Mini 2 cellular. It works great. The only apps I have installed are Go 4 and Hanger 360.
I think if you load too many apps on the Mini 2 it may struggle if they run in the background. That's why I only use mine for the Mavic.
Of course a Mini 4 will handle more intense apps, but if it's out of your budget the 2 is fine. The cellular version just makes life easier with regards to maps and some of the tracking modes.

Reactions: I_Like_Drones
I''l look out for a cheap Ipad Mini 2 with Cell....so that I have GPS. It will be dedicated to the Mavic so I want to keep costs to a minimum.
GPS is only needed on the mobile device if you want to use the Follow Me flight mode or be able to manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If you do not need to use either of those features, then you can save some cash and get a Wi-Fi only mobile device. All other GPS-related features use the data from the Mavic's internal GPS receiver.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143