DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IPad video playback problem

noka

Reactions
I downloaded a Mavic Video (< 1 GB, 4k, MOV and MP4) to my iPad Air (ios 10.3, 40 GB free Memory). Video appears in Photos - but cannot be played back. I see just the first frame, if I touch the > button, I only get the "loading" circle thing... Also import into iMovie does not work (it's not even offered as a source)... Any ideas?

Hi again. I would really appreciate help. I did some more testing: less resolution, both file formats, switching from PAL (I'm in Berlin) to NTSC... nothing. I import directly from SD card into iPad and the videos just won't play. Never had this with Gopro videos of any size - they play just fine. What am I missing?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I did some more tests: same problem on iPhone 7plus with ios 10.3 and same problem on iPad Mini with ios 10.2.1. nobody out there with the same problem or better with any resolution??

IOS will play the cached 1080 or 720P from the Mavic but not 4K as it doesn't support it as a mobile device. You need either a laptop or desktop that supports 4K video and play or download it from the SD card. If you want 4K on your phone or tablet then there are select Android devices that support it at lower resolution playback.

I did some more tests and it's clear now.

Obviously it "just" depends on the processor. My iPad Air can handle Mavic videos up to 1080p and 96fps. While my iPhone 7Plus is still ok with 2,7k and 25fps. Anything above will NOT play... I think I also read posts where somebody confirmed, that he can play 4k on his iPad Pro... cannot test that :)
So I can forget to do my edits on the iPad...

this is how i understand it....

iPad Pro A10 processor = yes 4k is compatible
iPad mini 4 A8 processor = Maximum 2.7k compatible
iPad mini 1-2-3 with A7 processor = not sure what works

Mine (iPad Air / iPad Mini4 and iPhone 6S) won´t play Mavic videos imported from SD no matter what size and resolution. Not even 720p which is what I usually prefer for everyday filming.

On the other hand, all those same idevices will play my P3P and P4 video despite size or resolution. Except 4K but then I hardly ever use it. It will open and edit in iMovies as well straight away, without a glitch.

It sure is codec or something related, exclusive to the Mavic. All videos open and can be worked on my Macbook though. Pretty intriguing really.

Hey guys , Had this same problem yesterday when I downloaded footage in 4k from the sd to my Ipad air , up till now have just watched my training footage from the cache on my ipad , I wanted to see the original footage in 4k to look for abnormalities , such as the watercolour effect or blurred images . I tried and deleted just about all media player apps in the apple store and finally found one that plays the 4k download without stuttering or crashing it is the CnX Player . Hope this helps

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose