DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone battery cold weather tips

WolfgangStiller

Reactions
There have been a number of threads talking about people having issues with iPhone battery life (especially in cold temperatures).

Here's my experience: I have flown a number of times at 0F to 18F (-18 to -8 Celsius) (each time the Mavic rode folded in backpack exposed to the cold but the battery had a warming pack on it to keep it warm.) In each case (up to 18 minutes of flying) I had no problems with Mavic or RC battery life. My iPhone 6 was another story. I started out with all batteries fully charged and the iPhone turned off. I kept the iPhone somewhat warm in an inside pocket and the iPhone started at 100% charge but during the longer flights it would be down below 20% each time (once below 10%). The iPhone (at least in my case) is the weak link for cold temperature flying. There seems to be no issue in warm (> 40F) temperatures. I have since experimented with some changes and am now able to get more life out of my iPhone.

I'll share my results here but would like anyone else that has had iPhone battery issues to share their tips here as well. Thanks!

My tips:

1) I keep my iPhone fully charged by plugging in to a USB port in my car as we drive tot the trail head.

2) I shut down the iPhone for the hike to the trailhead (I pre-load the maps to DJI Go 4 or Litchi)

3) I put the iPhone in an inside pocket with a warming pack. (The warming pack seems to really help).

4) I have disabled caching of videos (DJI Go/Litchi) on the iPhone.

5) Turn off wifi, cell reception and bluetooth (airplane mode)

6) I have uninstalled the Facebook App. This one surprised me but I noticed a pretty good improvement in my (only two) tests so far. Here are some details on disabling the FB app but keeping FB one button press away:
Forget the Facebook App: Use the Mobile Site for a Less Annoying Experience

7) Attach warming gel pad or chemical warmer to the back of the cell phone while it's use (attched to the RC). A good example is this at less than 1 USD each.

Amazon.com : HotHands Adhesive Body Warmer (40 count) : Sports & Outdoors

Edit: update Jan 29, 2017: I have since tested the adhesive body warmers on the iPhone and these seem to work great. The phone works as if it's running in warm temperatures.

Last edited:
My iPhone 6S is warm enough when I have a case and keep it in my pants' pocket. The case helps during flight also. I have also used Mophie battery case while flying in cold.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

It's always the weak link for me too. The best option I've found is to plug it into a battery pack. With the Mavic and an iPhone, you should be able to use a battery pack to keep both the remote and the iPhone topped off. I just keep the battery pack in my pocket and I'm good to go. If you don't have a separate battery pack, you could use the DJI adapter that turns an extra mavic battery into a charging block.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

My iPhone 6S is warm enough when I have a case and keep it in my pants' pocket. The case helps during flight also. I have also used Mophie battery case while flying in cold.

Sounds good! What temperatures are you talking about?

It's always the weak link for me too. The best option I've found is to plug it into a battery pack. With the Mavic and an iPhone, you should be able to use a battery pack to keep both the remote and the iPhone topped off. I just keep the battery pack in my pocket and I'm good to go. If you don't have a separate battery pack, you could use the DJI adapter that turns an extra mavic battery into a charging block.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Is there a way to charge the iPhone while you are flying? (I have been playing with some options on that but so far I haven't found a solution)

Has anyone just slapped a hand warmer on the back of the iPhone and on top of the Mavic Battery? Like the skiing kind... hot paws or hot shots ??? Wouldn't that do the trick? Or am I missing something?

Sent from my iPad using

5c5a9951bb6ff6a8d98fe0d94da4ac71.jpg

Has anyone just slapped a hand warmer on the back of the iPhone and on top of the Mavic Battery? Like the skiing kind... hot paws or hot shots ??? Wouldn't that do the trick? Or am I missing something?

Yes, I'm guessing that would work well.

Is there a way to charge the iPhone while you are flying? (I have been playing with some options on that but so far I haven't found a solution)

Actually, I don't think you can charge an Apple device with the controller, only an Android phone. I had it mixed up... I was thinking that the remote would charge an iphone and not an android, but it's the opposite, ie. only charges androids.

So you can plug an external battery source into the controller with Micro USB to charge the controller and then plug the iphone into the bottom USB port, but it won't actually charge the iphone so you still have the original problem. I just tested it to be sure that's the case and it is. Sorry for no help haha... I guess the hand warmers are probably your best option! I know my phone also lasts far longer when you turn it on airplane mode and I've read that you can fly with it in Airplane mode, but haven't tested it myself (apparently you won't have maps unless you cache the map for that area first).

Reactions: cgfriberg

Sent from my iPad using

I think that's a good idea and have been meaning to try that (or just a 3M gel pack pre-warmed in the microwave). Haven't done it yet though. Whoever does this should report back here, I bet that will help.

Actually, I don't think you can charge an Apple device with the controller, only an Android phone. I had it mixed up... I was thinking that the remote would charge an iphone and not an android, but it's the opposite, ie. only charges androids.

So you can plug an external battery source into the controller with Micro USB to charge the controller and then plug the iphone into the bottom USB port, but it won't actually charge the iphone so you still have the original problem. I just tested it to be sure that's the case and it is. Sorry for no help haha... I guess the hand warmers are probably your best option! I know my phone also lasts far longer when you turn it on airplane mode and I've read that you can fly with it in Airplane mode, but haven't tested it myself (apparently you won't have maps unless you cache the map for that area first).

Thanks for reminding me about airplane mode. That seems to help a little (if you turn off cell, wifi and bluetooth it does boost your battery life). I am going to add that to the list above. Thanks!

Sounds good! What temperatures are you talking about?

I have been flying with Phantom with a case in -18 C and with Mavic -6. With Mavic and Mophie battery case I did 6 minute flight in -24 C and then the RC to iPhone got disconnected but both devices were still powered.

Reactions: WolfgangStiller

Sent from my iPad using

I have found a package of these only instead of "hand warmers" they are "body warmers" and have a sticky side for sticking to clothing. I stick that right to the back of my iphone 6splus and it works awesome. no sticky residue afterwards either.

I have found a package of these only instead of "hand warmers" they are "body warmers" and have a sticky side for sticking to clothing. I stick that right to the back of my iphone 6splus and it works awesome. no sticky residue afterwards either.

Good find! I hadn't seen those with the sticky but that sound perfect to keep the iPhone warm.

Reactions: Late and Bursky

Sent from my iPad using

I do this frequently, often in -30 temperature
I use a bit of duct tape to attach a "hand warmer" to the back of my iPhone. The heat lasts for several hours. The phone battery lasts all day

I do this frequently, often in -30 temperature
I use a bit of duct tape to attach a "hand warmer" to the back of my iPhone. The heat lasts for several hours. The phone battery lasts all day

The ones with adhesive make this even easier.

I have since tested the adhesive body warmers on the iPhone and these seem to work great. The phone works as if it's running in warm temperatures.

What about flying from inside a vehicle? I have seen some people report doing this, but I'd be interested in more views given potential interference problems from looking through glass and all of the metal.

I have also used Mophie battery case while flying in cold.

So, Late, you'll plug the iPhone in Mophie and all? Hadn't thought of that, but good idea. My iPhone was down to 20% after just one Mavic battery. (Chilly day in Maine.)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54