DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Iphone overheated and caused me to lose my $hit.....

whitedesigns

Reactions
I was flying the Mavic in Bellagio, Italy (where I got some amazing video btw) when my iPhone over heated and went blank (because I was standing in the noon sun with the temp about 90 degrees). As anybody who uses an iPhone knows, until it cools down, the thing won't work, it just displays a temp. warning.

Needless to say, I was a bit stressed as the Mavic was about 900 feet away, 200 feet above, so I used RTH until it got close, then landed it manually. Whew...

I was flying the Mavic in Bellagio, Italy (where I got some amazing video btw) when my iPhone over heated and went blank (because I was standing in the noon sun with the temp about 90 degrees). As anybody who uses an iPhone knows, until it cools down, the thing won't work, it just displays a temp. warning.

Needless to say, I was a bit stressed as the Mavic was about 900 feet away, 200 feet above, so I used RTH until it got close, then landed it manually. Whew...
Ahlalalal, those tricky iphonesh*t... Lucky I haven't any ;)
My only worries is if Apple buy DJI one day in the future. Prices will rise by 5, SD card will disappear = MP 32go, MP 64go... Lol, and also Ppl queueing one day prior the sales in front of the applestore... saying: we hope soon can control it from the Apple watch

;)

Low power mode can help with that.

Weird - I was out in the Texas sun at a real 99F and 88% humidity and nary an over heat on my 6S+.
The phone doesn't get anywhere near as hot as my old Samsung S7 Edge.

Weird - I was out in the Texas sun at a real 99F and 88% humidity and nary an over heat on my 6S+.
The phone doesn't get anywhere near as hot as my old Samsung S7 Edge.
The apple leather case on the phone might have been a factor....

The apple leather case on the phone might have been a factor....
I have a NAtive Union case on mine - rubber bumpers, rubber interior cushioning and waxed canvas back. Dang nice looking case and a perfect fit. Best of all it is a tight squeeze but I don't have to remove it to fly.

Reactions: whitedesigns
You probably have a shade. If the phone is hit by the sun directly it'll definitely overheat.

Last edited:
Reactions: whitedesigns
Ahlalalal, those tricky iphonesh*t... Lucky I haven't any ;)
My only worries is if Apple buy DJI one day in the future. Prices will rise by 5, SD card will disappear = MP 32go, MP 64go... Lol, and also Ppl queueing one day prior the sales in front of the applestore... saying: we hope soon can control it from the Apple watch

;)
HA ha ha ........NOT ME!!

You probably have a shade. If the phone is hit by the sun directly it'll definitely overheat.
Nope - though I need one fer sure. I gotta hold the dang thing right up to my face - might as well just get the goggles. ;)

I fly in the sun a lot, not today as its now 108º and I would have a stroke. But on normal days I have never had my iPhone shut down while flying. I have had it overheat and shutdown out on the boat or if I left it out in the sun. Do Android phones have this safety feature?

I don't think phones are meant to work that hard. I have a Samsung S6 edge and if I use the gear VR I get a temp warning in about 10 minutes. Which really makes it worthless. VR puts a big strain on it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll