DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Iphone Question

harleymhs

Reactions
Hey Guys, I have an OLD iphone 5s that im not using.. No sim card in it.. Can I use this for my dedicated controller device? Or do I need to have a phone that has a sim in it and working data on it? I read somewhere that a few guys are using ipod touches.. Thanks..

You should be OK. If you want maps you can download the area you will be flying over wifi before you go out

That's what I thought , but how do you download the maps before I leave? Thanks!
Copied from elsewhere

In the app under "General Settings" (gear symbol) go to "Turn on map caching." Note: You need to have WiFi access or cellular, if you have a cellular model. Go to the area you wish to save in map mode and use lowest range that you wish to view to get greatest detail. Pan around to be sure to get all of the area you need. The area you view in the app while caching will be saved for use in the field.

That is the lowest iPhone that is certified to work with the Go app... it may struggle but maybe not.
I have no idea what the specs are for the Go4 app but I would suggest you stick with the regular Go app.

A word of warning...

Because my iphone5S screen was so small I decided to use an old LG G2 which probably isn't supported but in its day was a great phone and it appeared to work fine. First dozen flights went without a problem but I decided to buy an Nvidia Shield for the larger screen. I subsequently joined Healthy Drones and after analysing the flights was shocked. The signal strength was showing massive errors, one flight overall down to 14 from 100 and lots of purple which is poor signal. The Shield shows 100 and is all green. Luckily all the first flights were close in whilst getting used to the bird. If I had tried a long distance test it could have gone very wrong if the RTH didn't recover for some reason. I guess this would have shown on screen but I was probably monitoring other things like battery and camera settings. Must keep a better eye on signal in future.

Just be aware some older phones might not be the best choice for your £1,000 investment.

That is the lowest iPhone that is certified to work with the Go app... it may struggle but maybe not.
I have no idea what the specs are for the Go4 app but I would suggest you stick with the regular Go app.
I've never had any trouble running Go4 on my 5S. Maybe a dozen flights so far, not so much as a stutter. Love my 5S.

My understanding was that you needed to use the Go 4 app the work with the Mavic and its features.. Didn't know the GO app was compatible with the Mavic Pro..

Copied from elsewhere

In the app under "General Settings" (gear symbol) go to "Turn on map caching." Note: You need to have WiFi access or cellular, if you have a cellular model. Go to the area you wish to save in map mode and use lowest range that you wish to view to get greatest detail. Pan around to be sure to get all of the area you need. The area you view in the app while caching will be saved for use in the field.

I don't see that setting for Map Caching in settings?..

I run a 5S, only got 2gb of storage left on it, stacks of apps etc, runs go 4 no issues

I use an old iPhone 5 and have no issues. The app runs flawlessly but I don't use the phone for anything else other than the GO app.

What I do for maps; My Ipad Mini 4 while having cellular its not activated. What I do is when I get to a flying site/location. I turn on the hotspot on my phone, let the Ipad Mini connect to the Iphone and get the maps for where I'm flying. Once thats done, I turn off the hotspot on my Iphone...

I know you said you are using a 5s without sim cards so I'm assuming you have another phone with the hotspot capability...

My understanding was that you needed to use the Go 4 app the work with the Mavic and its features.. Didn't know the GO app was compatible with the Mavic Pro..
Certainly it does... the Mavic was out before the Go4 app was released.

Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 2.54.36 PM✨.png

Got my mavic today and can fly with no problem. But I have no camera. I'm using an iPhone 6 that works with my phantom3 using dji go. Got it to work on wife's droid turbo2 and also my iPad. But nothing with my iPhone with the latest software update. Any ideas?

Got my mavic today and can fly with no problem. But I have no camera. I'm using an iPhone 6 that works with my phantom3 using dji go. Got it to work on wife's droid turbo2 and also my iPad. But nothing with my iPhone with the latest software update. Any ideas?
Delete the app from the iPhone 6 and reinstall it, see if that cures it. ;)

I run a 5S, only got 2gb of storage left on it, stacks of apps etc, runs go 4 no issues

Bakerboy, what version of the GO 4 app are you running on you iPhone 5s?
I'm still running 4.1.0 & works fine.
I know the new version 4.1.20 is very processor intensive & I'm nervous about updating & not being able to work with my iPhone 5s.
I'm also running iOS 10.3.3.
I have not updated to iOS 11.
A friend updated his iPad Mini 2 which has the same chip as the 5s in it & it rendered it useless. Any thoughts?
Any input from anyone is appreciated.

You should be OK. If you want maps you can download the area you will be flying over wifi before you go out

I'm a little unclear what's meant by "if you want maps". If I use an old iPhone with my MP controller and fail to "download the area" what happens then? Is it just that the map graphics are missing, or does the whole map function cease to function? Using an old phone for this intrigues me, but I don't want to lose the aircraft...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots