DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Iphone users. Which app to record screen?

RallySoob

Reactions
I would like to record the screen on my iphone 6s+ so viewers can see what I see when flying.

I know about android apps the let you capture record the screen. I can not find a thing for ios. Has anyone here been able to pull it off ios?

AirShou is mentioned a lot of times. I am worried that it is a Trojan! I see some guys saying that it's safe but I also see some people saying they have doubts. There are plenty of other ways to do it using Airdrop and a laptop running software. Mac is of course the easy way but there are PC options.

My macbook pro just took a dump so i only have desktop mac at moment. Really hoping to record easily using an app dangit

I know what you mean. Apple is so restrictive that it can become annoying.

Reactions: Wyz_One
I use an airplay enabled HDMI dongle plugged into a portable gaming HDMI recorder. I just enable airplay to the dongle and then hit record, if I also want a monitor the recorder has a HDMI pass-Thru for that, records to a USB flash drive (thumbdrive or SD card in a USB adapter) There is no easy ways to do screen recording on a iPhone or iPad. I like my setup as it also records your voice if you plug in a mic, and it records the GO app warnings. It is better suited to a GS but can be used portable without using a monitor and powering it with a powerbank.

Without jailbreaking one of the only ways I know how to do it is to use something like Screwnflow or Camtasia with your computer connected to your iPhone. Problem is that your lightning port is taken by the controller, so I'm not sure how to get around that... Maybe there's a splitter you can buy or maybe someone has a trick for connecting your phone to the remote wirelessly?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

You can record the iPhone screen directly to a Mac computer but that's not very field handy.

Without jailbreaking one of the only ways I know how to do it is to use something like Screwnflow or Camtasia with your computer connected to your iPhone. Problem is that your lightning port is taken by the controller, so I'm not sure how to get around that... Maybe there's a splitter you can buy or maybe someone has a trick for connecting your phone to the remote wirelessly?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
AirPlay will mirror your iPhone to any Airplay compatible device wirelessly.
EDIT: This is supposed to work in IOS 10.2.1 but so far I am having trouble getting it to work fully.

Last edited:

As in Mirror an Iphone to an Ipad?
Everything I have read says it will only do it to Apple TV or a PC/Mac running software.

Do you have a link to how to get a video stream from an Iphone to an Ipad?

Rob

Right i read that the latest ios update has allowed seemless airplay connection between phone to phone. Meaning i can airplay onto my ipad or friends iphone easily. But im having hard time figuring out how to airplay anything other than just music or video... like how do i airplay my phone screen and not just a single video etc.

If you have 2 ios devices, update to latest ios10 firmware & try it out! I was surprised myself

I know that works but Litchi is not an option I am comfortable with right now. Just too many crash stories for my liking.

Me too man. I bought Litchi but still cant get myself to try it. Im afraid of dreaded fly away and its been so perfect in dji go app im scurred to mess that up

Only thing i wanted it for was way points but its really not that bad using go app way point editor u just have to take the time to fly it 1st obviously but at least its still possible to do.

Its really cool how litchi lets u program a route outside of your controllers connection range though. It would be neat to see how far u could fly 1 way

Reactions: Robbyg
Right i read that the latest ios update has allowed seemless airplay connection between phone to phone. Meaning i can airplay onto my ipad or friends iphone easily. But im having hard time figuring out how to airplay anything other than just music or video... like how do i airplay my phone screen and not just a single video etc.

If you have 2 ios devices, update to latest ios10 firmware & try it out! I was surprised myself
I have an iPhone & iPad so will give it a shot. I do use airplay to cast my Controller output to a monitor via a HDMI dongle, and it casts all of my screens including the home screen, you can watch every key press on the monitor (not good) so tou have to be careful, haven't tried it IOS device to device yet.

I don't know why so many IOS users miss this but try Coolpixel its in the app store is free to try with 2 mins screen recording after that its $5 a year. works flawlessly no need to jailbreak or anything. Even exports the videos back to your Photos app & to the icloud

Stuart

I know that works but Litchi is not an option I am comfortable with right now. Just too many crash stories for my liking.

Fair enough. I understand. It tool me 6 months of owning Litchi app before I flew my P3S with it. However, once I did, I was hooked. Will be using DJI GO 4 app for now while I learn the Mavic.

I don't know why so many IOS users miss this but try Coolpixel its in the app store is free to try with 2 mins screen recording after that its $5 a year. works flawlessly no need to jailbreak or anything. Even exports the videos back to your Photos app & to the icloud

Stuart

Cool pix doesn't mention screen recording in its blurb but it's the first thing on its capture options!!! No wonder we all missed it!

Works just fine - thanks for the info. So much easier than lugging a mac about!

The free version it limited to 2 mins (enough for evaluation) then it is only $5 to unlock it for a year.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Last edited:
I don't know why so many IOS users miss this but try CP its in the app store is free to try with 2 mins screen recording after that its $5 a year. works flawlessly no need to jailbreak or anything. Even exports the videos back to your Photos app & to the icloud

Stuart

Thanks for the info, CP works perfectly :)
I went ahead and paid for it, I was not all that comfortable with the in app redirect to PayPal but after searching the PayPal page it matched everything on the real PayPal so i knew it was legit. Afterwards I checked on my PC and the payment went through. I did the $15 lifetime upgrade so it should be completely unlocked. I went for the $15 lifetime version because I figured the hack risk was the same either way and I did not want the app to have an auto shutdown period in case the developer discontinues the product.

Thanks again, I still don't know how you found it. Nobody ever mentions it on the web. Maybe the Mavic community should just PM people with the info if somebody starts a new thread asking the same question. Lets leave as small a footprint as possible so it does not get removed.

Rob

A warning about CP.
During some tests I just found out that it authenticates your account every time you run it. If your out of WiFi or cellular data range the App will default back to 2 minutes of recording. This is really a terrible move by the developer!

The only thing you can do if your using an iPad or will be out of cell range is to make sure you load the app before leaving home.

Reactions: David162
Litchi works great. I use it quite a bit and have had no problems at all. Lots of folks are using it regularly without issue... you can do some more research, but my feeling is that most of the crash/flyaway issues are compass issues or just plain old user error. Maybe that's not the case, but I've had no issues...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98