DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is anyone concerned about soft focus

Reactions
Have all the videos of the pre release mavics just been out of focus or is the resolution just not as good as the P4? I currently have P2, P2-plus and the inspire and as others have said Ill take a little hit on the quality for size, but the vids have seemed really poor(softness wise ) i know a lot can be done in post but that seems like artificial correction.

Have all the videos of the pre release mavics just been out of focus
Yes.

It should be noted that the P4 is largely considered oversharp, and many videographers turned down the sharpness in their Phantoms. If you like that look, you can absolutely increase the sharpness in the same way, via the Camera settings.

Try these; they're my favorite thus far, both for footage/quality and for content:

iPhonedo Review:
iPhonedo Comparison:

nope, not concerned i actually think it will be sharper in some circumstances

No need to worry about softness on the Mavic. You will see a lot of discussion regarding extreme softness in early videos from the Mavic that was due to a couple of the reviewers not having the proper focus settings.

Please see this explained here: Mavic Pro Soft Focus Issue Explained

Also take a look at DJI Product Tester, Ken Booth's latest videos with the Mavic. You will quickly see that there should be no further concern about the soft focus

Have all the videos of the pre release mavics just been out of focus or is the resolution just not as good as the P4?

All? Nope, not all have been out of focus. Just a lot of them, and unfortunately some highly popular youtube creators have not helped. There are plenty that not only show that the footage is comparable (if not better in some cases) they also show HOW the focus works.

I am not worried in the least, and am excited I can actually change focus.

Reactions: Advexure
All? Nope, not all have been out of focus. Just a lot of them, and unfortunately some highly popular youtube creators have not helped. There are plenty that not only show that the footage is comparable (if not better in some cases) they also show HOW the focus works.

I am not worried in the least, and am excited I can actually change focus.

Yes, having the ability to change focus is an absolute must so glad DJI made share the Mavic had that. @Jeffrey Palomba check out videos from DJI Product Test, Ken Booth and your concern over soft focus will quickly be mitigated. Disappointing that those at DJI who set up the testers and reviewers with their Mavic units didn't make sure everyone knew how to properly set the focus settings. We've been hearing questions about the focus just about everyday as that issue early on with the testers became highly publicized.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929