DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is Data Needed?

Ray&Paula

Reactions
Hi, I plan on using an iPhone 6 for the Mavic Pro and have a few newbie questions;
1) Does the Mavic Pro require the use of data in order to use "All" the functions?
2) If the use of data is needed, how much does it use?
3) After doing some research, I see that some functions do not work while using of using WiFi only. Is there any good articles and/or video's that explains data usage and WiFi for the Mavic Pro?

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks, Ray

Does the Mavic Pro require the use of data in order to use "All" the functions?
You can fly the Mavic with a Wi-Fi only device. You'll only need data if you want to do something that requires connecting to the Internet -- like downloading the maps in real-time, streaming videos to YouTube, or installing firmware.

If the use of data is needed, how much does it use?
It depends what you're doing with the data.

After doing some research, I see that some functions do not work while using of using WiFi only
You will not be able to use functions that require an active Internet connection. Those functions are not commonly used while flying, so it's not a deal-breaker for most people.

If using an Apple device, the Wi-Fi only devices do not contain a GPS receiver. Without GPS, you will not be able to use the Follow Me flight mode or be able to manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off. Again though, you might not need those features. Figure out your needs and buy the device that fits your needs.

You can fly the Mavic with a Wi-Fi only device. You'll only need data if you want to do something that requires connecting to the Internet -- like downloading the maps in real-time, streaming videos to YouTube, or installing firmware.

It depends what you're doing with the data.

You will not be able to use functions that require an active Internet connection. Those functions are not commonly used while flying, so it's not a deal-breaker for most people.

If using an Apple device, the Wi-Fi only devices do not contain a GPS receiver. Without GPS, you will not be able to use the Follow Me flight mode or be able to manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off. Again though, you might not need those features. Figure out your needs and buy the device that fits your needs.

Right now, I really don't intend to do any streaming. I believe that I would prefer to have maps in real time. I definitely want to use the Follow Me & Home Point modes. Thanks for the help, Ray

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121