DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it possible to charge safely a MP Battery from a portable PBank?

dlopezjurado

Reactions
Hello everybody and thanks in advance for your help

I´ve been reading some threads here, but none of them clearly explain that.
I am terrible with electricity...so basically I don´t know much about Amps, and Volts...I just know a bit.

All the threads I´ve been reading always deviate too much into electricity discussions or mods impossible to understand for a person like me.

So my question is simple.

Is there a portable power bank out there on the market, capable of charging safely (for me and for the battery) one battery of my MP?

My question is to solve a very common problem that happens to me. I sometimes hike in the mountain for 3 days...and just 4 batteries is not enough to fly all weekend...so...I accept other ideas than the power bank too!

No intention to find mods or things like that...just the right power bank...

THANKS!!!

Would you like the powerbank to be portable or is it enough if you can carry it around in your car?

Reactions: Rbruz
power banks are usually output at 5V for usb charge. Mavic batteries are 3 cell 12V batteries lipos, you need a decent smart charger to not damage you batteries. iv made adhoc chargers from larger lipos to charge my mavic but its a bit of work. in not aware of any commercially available power bank to charge 12V 3 cell lipos.

I understand that the "classic" 10000mAh that everybody uses for charging cells is not possible. I get that point
But I need portability, as the hiking would be by walking...most of it by bicycle, and rarely by off road motorcycle...

Even so, please @tmoerel ...tell me about that option to carry it on a car! although...it is pretty unusual to me to go by car...

And about Voltage and some I´ve seen some "experiments and mods" on the forum...but almost impossible to be built with my acknowledgment on electricity! If you know some...you can tell me too @mpa

But still looking for some portable ready to buy kinda power bank that could charge my MP batteries...someone knows something?
Three examples that I found, but I don´t understand if they would work...(I mean, about Amps, Volts and so on..)
OMNICHARGE
Omnicharge: Smart & Compact Portable Power Bank
WORLD MOST POWERFUL BATTERY PACK
PLUG - The World's Most Powerful Battery Pack
THE BEST PORTABLE AC POWER SUPPLY
World's Smallest Portable Power Outlet- ChargeTech

Some of them say are able to charge drones, computers or so.....but I don´t understand

Any idea?

THANKS!!!

And waiting to know from you both @tmoerel and @mpa !!

I made that already works great, 3 batteries 40mins while walking!
07f86c3685dee1f2830ba070c540b959.jpg

Reactions: dlopezjurado
The DJI Car Charger. Even faster than the normal charger :)

But as I said...this is to solve my problem when I go by hiking 3 days walking in the mountain.....so...car charger is not useful to me....sorry!

I made that already works great, 3 batteries 40mins while walking!
07f86c3685dee1f2830ba070c540b959.jpg

YEAH!!! This is what I need!

3 batteries charged while walking!?!?!?! Just 45 min!?!?!?!
Are you kidding???

IS THAT TRUE?!?!?!
NO DAMAGE TO BATTERIES?!?!?!

But...it looks like you have to be an engineer to do this...

I don´t identify almost any of these pieces...and...no idea how to build it....

Some help?

You are the man!

You always lose efficiency when transferring power from one battery to another. If you are concerned with weight when hiking it will be more efficient to just buy more Mavic batteries instead of charging them from another battery.

The problems is of course cost. Does the weight make up for cost is the question ;)

Looks great!

But...more or less the same than the others I showed on my second post...

And...being a total ignorant in terms of electricity...I cannot see anywhere the 12V output that everybody ask for because of the Mavic Batteries...

Do you really know if this is able to charge them without damaging?
What about the 3 examples I gave?

THANKS!!!!

You always lose efficiency when transferring power from one battery to another. If you are concerned with weight when hiking it will be more efficient to just buy more Mavic batteries instead of charging them from another battery.

The problems is of course cost. Does the weight make up for cost is the question ;)
Nailed it on the head!

If itas only 3 days, more mavic batteries would be the answer

If its for longer i.d say as big a solar panel as ur prepared to carry with 12v cigaretter lighter plug and a mavic car charger

Works fine for me, charged up 20 times but only use it when must have to (alone, in remote location, no electricity) Don't know the long term but hey, if you can afford the MP I'll buy another battery if it ruins them!

Works fine for me, charged up 20 times but only use it when must have to (alone, in remote location, no electricity) Don't know the long term but hey, if you can afford the MP I'll buy another battery if it ruins them!
Ok! -you are right!

But then....tell me how to build it!

I don´t indentify the pieces!

What looks like the power source...that black and red prism....what is that!?!?!

Have any list? links? videos?...something? would you mind to share?

Thanks!

Reactions: Natedoggz

Well....of course the weight is a problem while hiking..but...I guess that I prefer that, than paying 6 more batteries!

Let´s keep on trying!

I bought a Armorall V8 Jumpstart box $49.99, 3 cheap china $9.99 12volt dji chargers,. $1 EC5 connectors, 3-1 12volt socket adapter, sometimes I can only get 2 charge when all batteries are at 15%!

I bought a Armorall V8 Jumpstart box $49.99, 3 cheap china $9.99 12volt dji chargers,. $1 EC5 connectors, 3-1 12volt socket adapter, sometimes I can only get 2 charge when all batteries are at 15%!
Wow!
Great!
And good price too!

I take note and I´ll try to convince some friend to help me joining the pieces!!

Thanks a lot @Natedoggz !

Last question...I asume that the Armorall is the one that have the power to charge the batteries....isn´t it? How many batteries you can charge? (I understood 2-3 depending the percentage...??)....is there any way to have double amount of charges? Like a bigger Armorall???

That would be the ideas to me, as I usually am 3 days out with no electricity and I need around 3 batteries per day....
And more or less...how much that Armorall weight aproximately?

THANKS A LOT!!!

So you want 6 charges in the field. Let's say you run your mavic batteries down to 20%, that would mean 34.88w*6= 209w needed. With a DC to DC conversion running at perhaps 85% efficiency, you'll need 246w of power to charge your batteries.
Your Powerbank (with 13.05v output) will have to be a minimum of 66500mah to charge your batteries.

Wow!
Great!
And good price too!

I take note and I´ll try to convince some friend to help me joining the pieces!!

Thanks a lot @Natedoggz !

Last question...I asume that the Armorall is the one that have the power to charge the batteries....isn´t it? How many batteries you can charge? (I understood 2-3 depending the percentage...??)....is there any way to have double amount of charges? Like a bigger Armorall???

That would be the ideas to me, as I usually am 3 days out with no electricity and I need around 3 batteries per day....
And more or less...how much that Armorall weight aproximately?

THANKS A LOT!!!
They have a solar power 1 a little more $, but u can use anything that can start a true V8 gas truck should work, i didn't spend a lot on it because I use them for work and they last about 30 full drains of the power pack for regular vehicles, I have no true long term tests for mavic batteries as of yet, but have noticed some of my compacity has gone down slightly!

So you want 6 charges in the field. Let's say you run your mavic batteries down to 20%, that would mean 34.88w*6= 209w needed. With a DC to DC conversion running at perhaps 85% efficiency, you'll need 246w of power to charge your batteries.
Your Powerbank (with 13.05v output) will have to be a minimum of 66500mah to charge your batteries.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!
These are the numbers that I don´t know about electricity...Thanks @Xcel !!!
But then...it sounds like even...more impossible...hahaha...
All the powerbanks I can find are at most 20000mAh....
And always 12V, not 13.05!!! (is that an issue to have in account?)

Maybe I have to be less demanding and get enough with a mid point between my requirements and the real world...that means, try to get the solution you are offering here to me, AND buy some extra batteries too....

....mmmmmm...I´ll have to think about it...

THANKS AGAIN!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kesiganes