DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it possible to follow the authorization process without being forced to update app or firmware?

torqum

Reactions
I want to be able to fly in an "enhanced warning zone". To do this I need to get authorization by logging in. But the DJI GO app that I have is from April and the firmware that I have is from January. If I turn internet data on with my phone and start the dji app will it force me to update either the app or firmware before letting me fly? Also, if I prefer to fly with litchi, can I first login with the DJI app, get authorization, then exit the DJI app, and fly with litchi?

Good questions.

I can't answer but I'll be watching for the answers.

What phone are you using?
I can't imagine that it would "force" you to update the app.
And as has been noted in other places on the forums, firmware updates are optional.

The DJI app itself might tell you there's a newer version and offer to update, but you don't have to, just cancel/decline.

If Android, it's not DJI that may force an update, but rather Google, in particular the Play Store of the DJI app is marked for automatic update.

Which it probably is, unless you've deliberately disabled automatic updates in the Play Store page for DJI GO 4. So, make sure you do that before you connect to the internet.

iOS is a mysterious enemy technology to me that causes headaches, anxiety attacks, and loss of bladder and bowel control, so I make sure never to get anywhere near it.

The DJI app itself might tell you there's a newer version and offer to update, but you don't have to, just cancel/decline.

If Android, it's not DJI that may force an update, but rather Google, in particular the Play Store of the DJI app is marked for automatic update.

Which it probably is, unless you've deliberately disabled automatic updates in the Play Store page for DJI GO 4. So, make sure you do that before you connect to the internet.

iOS is a mysterious enemy technology to me that causes headaches, anxiety attacks, and loss of bladder and bowel control, so I make sure never to get anywhere near it.

Ok thanks. That makes sense, but I can imagine them implementing something in their app which would check the server for a "kill switch" which would change some setting in the app and prevent you from flying even if you dont update. But I guess I'm just being really paranoid.

For the non-iOS fans out there - dwallersv - as long as you Do Not have the Automatic App Update turned on in your Setting menus, iOS will NOT force the update. Go4 may tell you there's an update but I've never seen Go4 force an update.

I like to add That for Android systems install a no Root Firewall like NetGuard from the PlayStore and block out any app from communicating
with the InterWeb .......... The free version works well