DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it worth it? I cancelled my order twice.. What is your input

Meyer712

Reactions
Ok I live in the middle of Wisconsin.. A small rural area with a hiccup of an airport out my back door. Apparently I am in a no fly zone and my 53 acres is completely encompassed like the majority of the city of 4600 I live near.. I have pre-ordered a mavic pro twice and cancelled each time, thinking what's the point.. I read a ton of posts about the righteousness of the majority of the users on this board and how they will not in no way overtly violate a no fly zone.. I will point out again, I live in a RURAL community in the middle of Wisconsin,, no real threat to national security.. just horses and cows with a few deer mixed in with the bear.. So does it really pay to shell out 1400 for a boat anchor? How hard is is to get an approval to fly in a no fly zone?? This is not even a towered airport here. No one mans the thing. I thought this would be a great way to check fence lines and look for down fence, loose animals etc.. Don't bother quoting the law, I've worked in it for 30 years. Just give me your thoughts on the feasibility and use in a no fly zone on a regular basis.. Am I going to have feds knocking on my door because I'm flying in a no fly zone? If I can even fly it here. My opinion is -Other than National Security specific sites, Major towered airports, and Military airspace there should be no, no fly zones. I feel it is a violation of my constitutional rights, what next, Government restrictions on what TV shows you are allowed to watch??

Where in wisconsin? I'm near waukesha. :) Have you checked on the GEO map to see if you are in a RED NFZ?

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

With the new GEO only RED circles cannot be unlocked. You'd have to be taking off from within 1.5 miles of the airport for that. The OLD NFZ system had much bigger red circles you could not take off from. The new GEO allows you to fly in places you could not under the old NFZ.

Last edited:
Ok I live in the middle of Wisconsin.. A small rural area with a hiccup of an airport out my back door. Apparently I am in a no fly zone and my 53 acres is completely encompassed like the majority of the city of 4600 I live near.. I have pre-ordered a mavic pro twice and cancelled each time, thinking what's the point.. I read a ton of posts about the righteousness of the majority of the users on this board and how they will not in no way overtly violate a no fly zone.. I will point out again, I live in a RURAL community in the middle of Wisconsin,, no real threat to national security.. just horses and cows with a few deer mixed in with the bear.. So does it really pay to shell out 1400 for a boat anchor? How hard is is to get an approval to fly in a no fly zone?? This is not even a towered airport here. No one mans the thing. I thought this would be a great way to check fence lines and look for down fence, loose animals etc.. Don't bother quoting the law, I've worked in it for 30 years. Just give me your thoughts on the feasibility and use in a no fly zone on a regular basis.. Am I going to have feds knocking on my door because I'm flying in a no fly zone? If I can even fly it here. My opinion is -Other than National Security specific sites, Major towered airports, and Military airspace there should be no, no fly zones. I feel it is a violation of my constitutional rights, what next, Government restrictions on what TV shows you are allowed to watch??

If you use your drone in a responsible manner then you'll never have a problem. I fly within a half mile of a heliport on an almost daily basis & have never had a problem. If you stay away from their airspace & limit your height then they'll never know you even fly a drone.

I'm a private pilot and I really don't want folks flying their drones within the flight pattern of the airstrip whether it be tower controlled or a municipal rural airport. Your dealing with folks lives in those planes. Having said that, most pattern altitudes are about 700 ft AGL except for the final approach which is a steady decent to the runway. That pattern can be as wide as a mile for small aircraft and larger for big guys and jets. Helicopters sometimes hover and conduct ops at lower altitudes in the airport vicinity, but they also try to follow the flight pattern rules for the most part. I would look into what others are doing if they are in your situation and for sure what the law says because you can get in real trouble flying where you shouldn't and it will also be bad for our beloved hobby... Just my thoughts on the matter...

Reactions: Underdog1964
Using the FFA app to find the NFZ's around you?
It's fairly universal that it's a junk app and borderline useless.

These are some of the more popular apps.
AirMap
Hover
UAV Forecast

Get that sucker and have some fun, inspecting stuff sounds like you'll be down low and out of the way.
Worried about planes, set it down if ya hear one, sure in the middle of no where you hear them far off.

Around where I live you can hear a 4 stroke lawn mower for miles

Reactions: MavicProMX
Using the FFA app to find the NFZ's around you?
It's fairly universal that it's a junk app and borderline useless.

These are some of the more popular apps.
AirMap
Hover
UAV Forecast

Get that sucker and have some fun, inspecting stuff sounds like you'll be down low and out of the way.
Worried about planes, set it down if ya hear one, sure in the middle of no where you hear them far off.

Around where I live you can hear a 4 stroke lawn mower for miles
Those apps are better, but the GEO one I linked is the one that the drone will use to determine whether or not he can even fly.

Reactions: Zoombee
If it happens to be class E, there might be some operational hours or someone to contact, otherwise, even for us part 107 guys, class G (uncontrolled) airspace is perfectly legal without notifying anyone, although common sense and safety should prevail. I am assuming your strip is class G, but double check using Airmap.IO, or a sectional chart.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. As a recreational flier, all you need to do is let towered airports know what you're up to, otherwise, as stated above, know what the pattern is, and stay away from it. Also, use common sense, be alert and stay at reasonable altitudes.

Have fun and enjoy!

Last edited:

Read this article. It should alleviate your worries.

The FAA Gave Us a List of Every Drone Pilot Who Has Ever Been Fined

Where in wisconsin? I'm near waukesha. :) Have you checked on the GEO map to see if you are in a RED NFZ?

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

With the new GEO only RED circles cannot be unlocked. You'd have to be taking off from within 1.5 miles of the airport for that. The OLD NFZ system had much bigger red circles you could not take off from. The new GEO allows you to fly in places you could not under the old NFZ.

Clintonville

If you use your drone in a responsible manner then you'll never have a problem. I fly within a half mile of a heliport on an almost daily basis & have never had a problem. If you stay away from their airspace & limit your height then they'll never know you even fly a drone.
Which drone do you fly?

Those apps are better, but the GEO one I linked is the one that the drone will use to determine whether or not he can even fly.
Clintonville Municipal airport seems to be a yellow/green zone.. Not sure exactly what that means..

No worries. To be completely legit, Call the Airport's Tower, see what they say, their response will be of interest to us here as well. I'm surrounded by Yellow Circles, hundreds of Heliports, just be aware of them, stay well below your limit of 400 feet and you will be fine.

You will be able to fly the aircraft, no problem. You will see a warning message each time you start, but it will start and you will be able to fly.

The warning should be similar to this:
The aircraft is in a Warning Zone (Class E). Fly with caution here.

With the Geo map what do the colors mean? More specifically whats the difference between green and enhanced green?

With the Geo map what do the colors mean? More specifically whats the difference between green and enhanced green?
Sorry found the information on the website

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada