DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is mavic quieter than the P4

LuPo

Reactions
Lucky new users, can you confirm mavic is much quieter than phantom P3/P4 ?

Yes, it's about 50 percent quieter. The only downside to that is it has to be 50 percent closer for me to hear it when I lose site of it. Lol

This is really good news as my old P4 is too noisy in my opinion. Looking forward to receive my Mavic in November.

All the Phantoms are as loud as each other 1-2-3-4, this is one reason why the Mavic is better.

Quieter and more stealthy means less worry about ignorant people getting all upset about a drone flying around... ;-)

Reactions: Jsun and kmaluo
Yes, it's about 50 percent quieter. The only downside to that is it has to be 50 percent closer for me to hear it when I lose site of it. Lol
No way. It's actually not much quieter. Look at this review. Watch the part at 3:05. He holds up a decibel meter within several feet while hovering and gets 83 decibels with the Mavic and 87 decibels with the Phantom 4.

Math 101.
Decibels are logarithmic values. 40 decibels is not twice as loud as 20 decibels.
The difference between 83 & 87 decibels is quite large really.
No way. It's actually not much quieter. Look at this review. Watch the part at 3:05. He holds up a decibel meter within several feet while hovering and gets 83 decibels with the Mavic and 87 decibels with the Phantom 4.

Reactions: dwashy21 and LuPo
Math 101.
Decibels are logarithmic values. 40 decibels is not twice as loud as 20 decibels.
The difference between 83 & 87 decibels is quite large really.
Actually the difference of 10 decibels
True dat. From my calculations the P4 is 2.51x louder than the Mavic. 87/83 dB
It takes a difference of 10 decibels to be twice the perceived loudness.

Reactions: montanacurt
Decibel is a logarithmic unit. 3 db difference is a factor of two (100%) in power and 1.41 (41%) in amplitude. 4db is a factor of 2.5 in power and 1.58 (58%) in amplitude, not far from the estimates above.

Last edited:
I wish DJI would really concentrate on developing a quieter prop.

Also, swinging larger slower moving props would help... although that might reduce the zippyness of the Mavic.

I do know my LARGE spider quad AD-1 with 12" TigerMotor props is significantly quieter than my Phantoms, and those props are shaped way different than the DJI props.

Just thinking out loud (can you hear me thinking?) :p

View media item 23

I wish DJI would really concentrate on developing a quieter prop.

Also, swinging larger slower moving props would help... although that might reduce the zippyness of the Mavic.

I do know my LARGE spider quad AD-1 with 12" TigerMotor props is significantly quieter than my Phantoms, and those props are shaped way different than the DJI props.

Just thinking out loud (can you hear me thinking?) :p

View media item 23

I wonder how much sound comes from the motors compared to the props? They might be able to significantly reduce the noise by working on the motor noise without having to sacrifice performance. A much more quiet drone would be great. Without a doubt, the noise is the most unpleasant thing to me about flying my Phantom.

Reactions: LuPo
I wonder how much sound comes from the motors compared to the props? They might be able to significantly reduce the noise by working on the motor noise without having to sacrifice performance. A much more quiet drone would be great. Without a doubt, the noise is the most unpleasant thing to me about flying my Phantom.

I can just speculate, I doubt much noise comes from the motors. I spun up my P3's a few times without the props and just the motors were very quiet.

Some helicopters like the Sikorsky Blackhawk have "Hockey stick" styled blades, the bend at the end of the blade helps to make them quieter. Changing the design of the rotor blade on a drone should help to quiet it down as well.

Motors themselves are very quiet on both my Phantoms and my AD-1.... you can see for yourself by starting up your bird without the props.... which is what I do with each 'copter I get before I actually attach the props and send it into the air... I want to see that all systems are working prior to take off..

Some helicopters like the Sikorsky Blackhawk have "Hockey stick" styled blades, the bend at the end of the blade helps to make them quieter. Changing the design of the rotor blade on a drone should help to quiet it down as well.
Agreed... the Tiger props on my AD-1 have the ends turned up slightly... I wonder if that is one reason they are quieter...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000