DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is State Farm crazy?

Dspace

Reactions
To start: yes I happily purchased a State Farm PAP for my Mavic, and no, I do not have any insurance industry experience other than spending a lot for it........Feel free to bash my reasoning/numbers

Too good to be true? So State Farm is the only major insurance company to insure non commercial use of quad's against loss, theft and damage, INCLUDING damage, loss or theft resulting from flying said quad. (Waiting for that mid flight hacking theft:eek:). This is all being done under their standard Personal Articles Policy. They basically charge the same rate for insuring your quad against flight loss/damage as they do for a laptop, camera, or jewelry (so they are assigning the same risk factor to a flying quad as other personal items). Who was smoking what when this was decided!?.........I digress.

So my PAP says that sports equipment is excluded if loss/damage results from product defect or dampness of atmosphere, among other things. Does crashing your quad in the water count as atmospheric dampness?:p If your art is being professionally restored or exhibited you're not covered, but flying your quad,.....sure no problem....

Ok, back to some very crude back of the envelope numbers; so you pay a max of $60 to insure your $1000 quad. I've read that insurance companies generally aim for a loss ratio of 40-60%, that is the total of paid out claims on an annual basis is 40 to 60% of annual premiums collected. Makes sense, want to make a profit after expense/overhead. So for each $1000 claim paid out they want to offset it with 33 "non-claimed" premiums. This assumes a 50% loss ratio and all $60 applied to just a quad. Is this realistic for non-commercial quads during flight? Got me, but I sure wouldn't want to be that underwriter. I have dealt directly with underwriters who insure hang gliding schools, jet ski rental operations and kiteboarding schools, and it is interesting to see how they make it work (of course that's all about liability versus property loss so different issues I guess).

My basic understanding is that the companies insuring commercial drone operators generally do not insure quads against damage/loss during flight operations, but when/if they do, they charge large premiums relative the quad cost, this on top of hefty liability premiums. Yes/no? And this is for mostly experienced commercial pilots under stringent operating controls, as opposed to many hobby beginners who barely glance at the quick start guide.......

I sure hope the State Farm PAP/quad policies survive but wouldn't be surprised to see them go away or change significantly. No doubt the hobby quad biz is growing very rapidly and most of the traditional insurance biz is low growth/highly competitive. Perhaps State Farm wants to be first in on that growth, loss ratio's be damned. Interesting time in the UAS world.

There needs to be a lot of successful non-crashing pilots out there for every claim filed! Wonder how many claims have already been filed??

Reactions: DronePilotOne
To start: yes I happily purchased a State Farm PAP for my Mavic, and no, I do not have any insurance industry experience other than spending a lot for it........Feel free to bash my reasoning/numbers

Too good to be true? So State Farm is the only major insurance company to insure non commercial use of quad's against loss, theft and damage, INCLUDING damage, loss or theft resulting from flying said quad. (Waiting for that mid flight hacking theft:eek:). This is all being done under their standard Personal Articles Policy. They basically charge the same rate for insuring your quad against flight loss/damage as they do for a laptop, camera, or jewelry (so they are assigning the same risk factor to a flying quad as other personal items). Who was smoking what when this was decided!?.........I digress.

So my PAP says that sports equipment is excluded if loss/damage results from product defect or dampness of atmosphere, among other things. Does crashing your quad in the water count as atmospheric dampness?:p If your art is being professionally restored or exhibited you're not covered, but flying your quad,.....sure no problem....

Ok, back to some very crude back of the envelope numbers; so you pay a max of $60 to insure your $1000 quad. I've read that insurance companies generally aim for a loss ratio of 40-60%, that is the total of paid out claims on an annual basis is 40 to 60% of annual premiums collected. Makes sense, want to make a profit after expense/overhead. So for each $1000 claim paid out they want to offset it with 33 "non-claimed" premiums. This assumes a 50% loss ratio and all $60 applied to just a quad. Is this realistic for non-commercial quads during flight? Got me, but I sure wouldn't want to be that underwriter. I have dealt directly with underwriters who insure hang gliding schools, jet ski rental operations and kiteboarding schools, and it is interesting to see how they make it work (of course that's all about liability versus property loss so different issues I guess).

My basic understanding is that the companies insuring commercial drone operators generally do not insure quads against damage/loss during flight operations, but when/if they do, they charge large premiums relative the quad cost, this on top of hefty liability premiums. Yes/no? And this is for mostly experienced commercial pilots under stringent operating controls, as opposed to many hobby beginners who barely glance at the quick start guide.......

I sure hope the State Farm PAP/quad policies survive but wouldn't be surprised to see them go away or change significantly. No doubt the hobby quad biz is growing very rapidly and most of the traditional insurance biz is low growth/highly competitive. Perhaps State Farm wants to be first in on that growth, loss ratio's be damned. Interesting time in the UAS world.

There needs to be a lot of successful non-crashing pilots out there for every claim filed! Wonder how many claims have already been filed??

Do you know if State Farm only want to insure you for non-commercial flying?

I am more curious on the first person that needs to file a true claim and then needs to bite the pillow when SF denies them.

Do you know if State Farm only want to insure you for non-commercial flying?
As far as I know they are only doing non-commercial under their standard PAP policies

Here is a link to some insurers for commercial drone operators. There are only a few underwriters for commercial operations (AIG, Lloyds, Global Aerospace) but numerous brokers. If you want commercial drone damage coverage, you have to wrap it into a liability policy and the starting amount is $1000+/year with a limit for $3000 in drone damage and $1M in liability. You have to provide ample proof of training, experience and credibility just to be approved.

The commercial side of this makes logical sense to me. The numbers seem reasonable. The State Farm PAP policy is completely contradictory to drone flying based on stated limitations of other common personal items they insure. The loss ratio numbers sure don't seem to add up for hobby beginners (1/33). But, hey what do I know.

Like Amoredsaint says, we'll have to see what State Farm does. I suspect they will honor the first handful of claims but as soon as the claim numbers start rising relative to new policies written, they will start denying claims associated with flying and limit coverage to quads being stored. Remember, they won't even cover your art work at an exhibition, only hanging/stored in your house. With that stated right on their PAP policy, why the would they ever be obligated to cover a flying quad??? And who is gonna buy a PAP policy for a quad that excludes flying? Then the whole thing goes away......

(just read a post on the DJI forum. A newbie flies his quad right into a tree while staring at his monitor. Had his State Farm policy for just 1 week, and is filing a total loss claim.) Sorry folks, this ain't gonna last.....

Last edited:
Reactions: DronePilotOne
As far as I know they are only doing non-commercial under their standard PAP policies

Here is a link to some insurers for commercial drone operators. There are only a few underwriters for commercial operations (AIG, Lloyds, Global Aerospace) but numerous brokers. If you want commercial drone damage coverage, you have to wrap it into a liability policy and the starting amount is $1000+/year with a limit for $3000 in drone damage and $1M in liability. You have to provide ample proof of training, experience and credibility just to be approved.

The commercial side of this makes logical sense to me. The numbers seem reasonable. The State Farm PAP policy is completely contradictory to drone flying based on stated limitations of other common personal items they insure. The loss ratio numbers sure don't seem to add up for hobby beginners (1/33). But, hey what do I know.

Like Amoredsaint says, we'll have to see what State Farm does. I suspect they will honor the first handful of claims but as soon as the claim numbers start rising relative to new policies written, they will start denying claims associated with flying and limit coverage to quads being stored. Remember, they won't even cover your art work at an exhibition, only hanging/stored in your house. With that stated right on their PAP policy, why the would they ever be obligated to cover a flying quad??? And who is gonna buy a PAP policy for a quad that excludes flying? Then the whole thing goes away......

(just read a post on the DJI forum. A newbie flies his quad right into a tree while staring at his monitor. Had his State Farm policy for just 1 week, and is filing a total loss claim.) Sorry folks, this ain't gonna last.....

Thx Dspace!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose