DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the Mavic for beginners?

FantasticMrF

Reactions
Im not yet a mavic owner, im extremely interested in buying one and became a member of this website to
assure myself before i make such a decision.

my one question however, is the mavic appropriate for a beginner?

Im not yet a mavic owner, im extremely interested in buying one and became a member of this website to

Yes!

Mavic was my first real drone. All you have to do is Read the manual, watch plenty of YouTube videos, read about crashes on this forum, and fly in a large open space. You will do fine.

Yes it is extremely easy to fly and a great hobby. This forum will increase your skills and make flying and photography a great hobby.
All skilled pilots were beginners.

Perfect! Thank you very much for your correspondence.

Its easy to fly when nothing goes wrong. The issue is knowing how to fly manually when you loose gps etc

All my friends that wanna learn I put them on a simulator then a hubsan x4 until they can take off land from a bar stool indoors, then I tell them go outside on a breezy day and practice, once you can nail that you can fly a mavic or phantom type bird.

Yes, definitely a great unit for those just getting their feet wet in aerial drones. If you have any further questions or are ready to order your Mavic give us a call at (855) 625-2055. We'd be happy to work with you, Mavic units and all accessories are in stock.

Mike

Reactions: FantasticMrF
Hmmmm
Not posted in a while so I'll jump in!

The Mavic was and is my First foray in to the Drone world.
It's a very portable and capable Drone with a easy to fly platform.
Touch wood, I've had no real issues, apart from a encounter with a BBQ cover....

It's easy to fly but equally easy to get in to Problems....
I've not flown mine for a few weeks and have even considered selling as I've read horror stories on here of very accomplished pilots having total losses.....

Buy with confidence ... fly with caution!!

I think generally all the drones from DJI, except the inspire series, are appropriate for beginners you just have to go easy at the beginning in order to learn the capabilities of the drone.

Reactions: FantasticMrF
Yes, the mavic is very easy to fly, and expensive to crash.

I second the recommendation to start off with a smaller cheaper drone to get practice flying in ATTI mode (no GPS).

You don't need to be able to fly through hoops like the FPV guys (haha) but you may at some point find it valuable to be able to see your drone as a dot in the sky, and figure out whether it is pointing to you or not by how it responds to the sticks, and bring it back solid and slow.

Last edited:
is the mavic appropriate for a beginner?
The Mavic or any Phantom 3 model is perfect for a beginner. After owning/flying all of them, I can tell you they are very similar flight-wise. When starting out as a beginner, the most important things you can do are read/understand the manual before flying and fly in beginner mode in a wide open area in that's free of all obstacles. No other type of drones fly like DJI drones, so you won't learn much by starting off with a less expensive drone from another manufacturer.

I could argue either side. I would say it's a great beginner drone (it's my first) IF you do your due diligence and learn most of the ways you could crash or lose it. Spend 2 or 3 hours browsing this forum to see what I mean. Don't get freaked out, but be aware you need to be aware of many subtleties. Again, I'm a first time drone pilot and so far, so good. But I err on the side of caution. It IS fun and very rewarding.

I like to tell people you need to be part pilot, part videographer, and part attorney to properly fly it. Keep that in mind.

Yes, definitely a great unit for those just getting their feet wet in aerial drones. If you have any further questions or are ready to order your Mavic give us a call at (855) 625-2055. We'd be happy to work with you, Mavic units and all accessories are in stock.

Mike

thanks a lot mike! unfortunately im from the UK and not the US haha!

Reactions: Advexure
I ordered my mavic pro before id even flew any drone before so I bought a hubsan h501 from amazon and flew that for about 2/3 months before receiving my mavic.
It definitely helped because the hubsan is a full manual drone so i got practice of flying a drone that doesn't keep hover position, so when i finally got the mavic it was quite easy to fly as i was familiar with the control pad and the drones movements already.

Not saying that you need to practice with another drone first, im just saying it helped alot to understand how a drone flies. If you crash the mavic its an expensive crash, ive crashed my hubsan many times getting too cocky or trying daft moves but its all in the learning process of finding your limitations.
:)

The Mavic or any Phantom 3 model is perfect for a beginner. After owning/flying all of them, I can tell you they are very similar flight-wise. When starting out as a beginner, the most important things you can do are read/understand the manual before flying and fly in beginner mode in a wide open area in that's free of all obstacles. No other type of drones fly like DJI drones, so you won't learn much by starting off with a less expensive drone from another manufacturer.

100% disagree

99% of people the first time they operate any RC car, plane, heli, glider, boat and multi rotor etc don't understand that when the unit is coming at you the turning left and right is reversed, just that alone has cost millions in crashes. As the other person posted they flew a hubsan 2/3 months before the mavic arrived and it helped.

Buying a $40-$75 drone will only help you with a mavic it will Not hurt you! Versus buying only the mavic and flying it first, you have a huge risk of crashing it just flying it back to land.

Ive been flying RC stuff since 86' RC cars since 80' and RC 65mph boats since 94' and all of that stick time has helped me fly my mavic following surfers with zero issues and some rad vids not counting the picts from vacations in jungle beaches. Built my first tricopter about 5yrs ago and that taught me stuff I use when flying the mavic, as a matter of fact I still have all my drones from back then about 15 of them, since I don't crash them unless doing low altitude loops.

My first ever quad is
12c24aacfc44c994453c3bb52718e003.jpg

All the way up to a 17" prop hex

In fact, heck I have this copter that carries a gopro that folds to almost mavic size but uses bit larger props still
ac3fca99c490400281f506ab4679b395.jpg

So YES flying a cheap toy copter will help !!!

99% of people the first time they operate any RC car, plane, heli, glider, boat and multi rotor etc don't understand that when the unit is coming at you the turning left and right is reversed, just that alone has cost millions in crashes
This very simple skill can also be learned in a matter of minutes with any DJI drone. If flying in a wide open location like I'm suggesting above, it would be tough to crash into something due to flying in the wrong direction. The only obstacle in a location like that is the ground and only one stick can pilot the Mavic to the ground.

I'm barely ahead of you, just received my Mavic (first drone) 3 days ago, only have 7 flights and ~45 minutes air time. So many things it can do I need to learn about yet, but started in beginner mode and took it slow and easy. IT WORKS!!! Heck it almost made me look like I knew what I was doing.

A few 'touch and goes' with RTH and manual and I felt ready to fly further, so I did! Got to remember to watch the battery at the BEGINNING of the flight, had to turn back before I wanted to, but was so glad to have it perform so well.

Do not be concerned, the Mavic is easy enough to train on, and has high enough qualities to satisfy for quite a while. I almost got the P4P, but happened upon the Mavic before hitting the buy button. So glad I did, this thing packs small and light and I can carry it on my motorcycle too!

The video quality is surprising without changing anything, and from what I gather it can get better with ND filters and the like, and post processing if I really want to make it the best it can be. Once I reach that point, I'll see if I really need a P4P, but I still know I want one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98