DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this noise or a sensor issue?

Looks like noise. ISO 1600 is a lot for the small sensor...
It's just in the pitch black parts of the image

Last edited:
Reactions: halley
Took some low light shots and noticed this strange noise on the raw image. Anyone had a similar experience, or know if this is normal? It was shot as f2.2, ISO 1600, 1/3s and 4.7mm.

Dropbox - Screenshot 2017-02-20 21.12.16.png

I saw that myself not long ago. It ended up being the graphic card getting to stop working on your laptop/pc. I took my laptop apart and cleaned it, then did the heat gun trick and it was like brand new again. I would recommend you at least start looking into backing up all the important stuff on the pc.

Yeah I find that above 800 ISO the camera struggles.
It might be just me but I prefer shooting from 100 to 800 max, yes you would need some ND filters in order to shoot in different light conditions.

I saw that myself not long ago. It ended up being the graphic card getting to stop working on your laptop/pc. I took my laptop apart and cleaned it, then did the heat gun trick and it was like brand new again. I would recommend you at least start looking into backing up all the important stuff on the pc.

How a JPG or PNG or MOV gets recorded on the Mavic has nothing to do with your PC. This is a screenshot, yes, but the sensor noise is much more likely here. Interesting idea but completely independent.

I figured it was noise I've just never seen anything like it shooting on DLSRs but I've also never shot with a sensor that small so that does make sense.

Well thanks for the heads up, I'm on a 2015 Macbook Pro but stranger things have happened so I'll look into it.

Yeah I find that above 800 ISO the camera struggles.
It might be just me but I prefer shooting from 100 to 800 max, yes you would need some ND filters in order to shoot in different light conditions.
I'm so used to shooting with DLSRs and ISO 1600 being perfectly acceptable so I guess I've gotta switch out of that mindset. I realized this sensor is great in the day but not so hot during the night, I wonder if I increased the shutter time instead of ISO if it would still happen?

I'm so used to shooting with DLSRs and ISO 1600 being perfectly acceptable so I guess I've gotta switch out of that mindset. I realized this sensor is great in the day but not so hot during the night, I wonder if I increased the shutter time instead of ISO if it would still happen?

I think the camera is quite acceptable at night but yeah try lower shutter speed with lower ISO.

I think I took that pic in full auto and there is tons of noise.
Will do some tests tonight.

Attachments

• echo.jpg
    echo.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 17
Well thanks for the heads up, I'm on a 2015 Macbook Pro but stranger things have happened so I'll look into it.

Your Macbook is new enough that it's not doing what I had experienced. When I 1st saw the noise I it remided me of what I had dealt with not long ago.

SLRs have similar behavior where above a certain ISO the dark zones turn into muddy purple noise... but it's simply typically several stops higher.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR