DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this why we are so restricted with our quads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, idiots faces are on the video.

"No, you see, it's ok for me to fly this over the stadium and lots of people because I am an expert pilot." Which is of course why you've included footage of you ******** up along with footage of breaking the rules.

I agree, this is why there are more and more rules being made. :(

wow, read the comments on the youtube vid as well, most everyone seemed to think he was awesome. those mavics are pretty heavy, i mean, if it falls and hits someone on the head, that could very well be fatal. just imagine a rock the same weight as a drone, would you throw it off a building in down town SD.

He did get lucky that the mavic is such a great machine that it regained itself. If the mavic fell from 300ft and hit someone in the head it would most likely kill them.

Actually FAA just released a study about the dangers of free falling drones. Not as serious a risk as initially thought. Test showed a Phantom sized drone only presented 10% chance of serious injury, let alone death. Mavic is considerably smaller. Not that I am condoning this guy's decision making.

I believe DJI alone will be selling 1 million units / year in a short time (maybe already doing it).

If only 5% of all owners are completely nuts / irresponsible, we are talking 50.000 of them ADDED each year to the airspace.

Only a matter of time for more and more serious accidents.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: frequentflyer
Yes The comments like the ones that say they can not wait to do the same thing.. I seen one video where a guy was flying in a park and the next day park ranger came to his house and gave him a ticket I wonder if they could do the same with this guy? The park ranger tracked him down through his YouTube video to give the fine.

That was the park rangers, and if he hadn't admitted to launching/flying from in the park they couldn't have done anything. In this video, the only thing he had done is ignore FAA hobbyist guidelines. Honestly, the FAA probably don't give a rat's *** about this guy and wouldn't be worth it to deliver a relatively miniscule fine anyhow. They are more concerned with commercial use, that's where 5 figure fines come into play....its all about the $$$. Why do you think Disney can buy airspace, if you think it is to protect the kiddos, I've got some nice land in Florida to sell you real cheap ;)

That's my biggest fear even flying over homes and buildings.

I'm scared ********of it falling and hitting a child man. That's brutal.

I remember in December thinking hard about flying my Mavic around the Space Needle early early in the morning scared out of my mind.

I finally chickened out. Glad I did

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rydfree
Actually FAA just released a study about the dangers of free falling drones. Not as serious a risk as initially thought. Test showed a Phantom sized drone only presented 10% chance of serious injury, let alone death. Mavic is considerably smaller. Not that I am condoning this guy's decision making.

A phantom is mostly a hollow plastic shell which I can see as absorbing some of the impact but it is still according to how it hits . If it were to hit at the end of one arm all that force would be concentrated in that one spot and most likely do severe damage to a skull . If you don't think a more compact and harder drone such as the Mavic would pose any danger then let me drop one off on your head from a few stories .

What if somebody can invent a parachute system so if a drone is falling at a certain rate of speed it will initialize as to not kill somebody or do major damage to property? They we can fly in more places and get that Incredible video pictures that we all want and still be safe?

That could actually be a viable solution . The parachute would not have to be big enough to land the drone softly , just large enough to limit the free fall to non-lethal speeds . Get to work and start a Go fund me page . You'll be rich , lol

If you don't think a more compact and harder drone such as the Mavic would pose any danger then let me drop one off on your head from a few stories .

I am personally looking forward to this trend - hopefully, once the novelty of drone videos over towns wears off and the people making them need to find a new craze to earn them vacuous social media points, they could start making videos of them dropping drones on each others heads from 300ft to prove their conjecture that it's probably quite harmless.

Reactions: rydfree
I can't stand Drone Valley Videos. I keep starring at it belt and I don't know why. And the fake backdrop is annoying.
I really like his videos. But most of all, his site sells great gear at cheap prices with fast free shipping. Customer service is top notch. That's gotta be worth something!

If you don't think a more compact and harder drone such as the Mavic would pose any danger then let me drop one off on your head from a few stories .

Wow. Please re-read my post. The original comment suggested death was the most likely outcome. I objectively referenced a recent FAA scientific study.

I'm still not sure why these two (rydfree & blades) want to drop a mavic on my head because the FAA did a study.

I didn't at anytime express my personal thoughts or feelings on the subject.

I guess reading comprehension isn't everyone's strong suit.

What else would you fill it with?

And let's be fair...it was a Padres game...sure there were people there, but filled is a bit of a stretch.
I didn't say filled to capacity, but it was filled with enough people to give someone in Homeland Security a few gray hairs.

To say my jaw dropped when I saw that would be a bit of an understatement.
(BTW - I agree with your statement above that)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots