DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

is tripod mode useful for long exposure similar to a normal tripod?

Micah

Reactions
Hello, I was wondering how still the gimbal will render a night/eve photo in tripod mode? Will it hold an image still for 2 seconds just as good as on a normal tripod? Or is it mainly used for slow precise flights?

Hello, I was wondering how still the gimbal will render a night/eve photo in tripod mode? Will it hold an image still for 2 seconds just as good as on a normal tripod? Or is it mainly used for slow precise flights?

Both. I don't think you will have any problems with a 2 sec exposure. Exept maybe in high winds

When I first took my Mavic high up into the sky to take some videos and still pictures, I was amazed by how rock-steady the video recorded by the Mavic was. Then I realized that when taking video of a distant landscape from 300 feet in the sky, it really doesn't matter whether the video camera is moving left or right, or up or down by a couple of inches as long as its constantly pointing in a fixed direction. If your drone is pointing at some distant landscape and you take a picture, and then you command the drone to move a few feet left or right and take another picture, you probably won't be able to see the difference in the pictures. What matters more for landscape photography and video is directional stability, and it appears that the Mavic has excellent directional stability (thanks to its internal gyro?).

When I have the Mavic hover close to me in mid-air, I can see it moving back and forth by a little bit (an inch to a few inches of constant movement?). So, no, it's nowhere as steady or as good as a real tripod for photography of subjects 15 feet away. But for photography and video of distant scenery in dim light, I would think that a few inches of jitter in its translational movement combined with its excellent directional stability would be just fine for even 2 second exposures.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr