DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is what DJI does with the Mavic legal?

All DJI GO and firmware updates are optional.

That isn't entirely correct...
I was out in the field 2 updates ago and I fired up Go4 and allowed it to connect to the net, I received a message something along the lines of "You must upgrade this app" and some other jargon which I can't remember and the flight app simply wouldn't execute. The update message kept reappearing every time I tried and since the connection was poor I couldn't update anything in the field.
Also is being outdoors a good place to be forced to upgrade?
I think a simple update notification and reminders would be more appropriate.

You can keep everything as-is now and continue to run offline forever if you'd like.

That is 100% correct and the price is no maps or an alternative flight app.

BTW @msinger, love your work ;)

Reactions: wayy510 and MacPap
But its not being forced on anyone.

Can anyone actually confirm this app update isn't forced like a previous update?

Please confirm: Start Go4 and connect to aircraft and internet. Does the Go4 app become disabled or can it still operate and not be updated?
I have to know and I'm too chicken to try it!

Reactions: MacPap
Please show me where it states this. I have not been able to find it
This is from a DJI developers email:
"If an application is not activated, or a legacy version of the SDK is being used, all camera live streams will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a cylinder of 100m diameter and 30m height to ensure the aircraft stays within line of sight.".
I believe it is the live streaming feature disabled, not necessarily the "camera".

Camera is not disabled, the gimball is. It will still take video blind.

"If an application is not activated, or a legacy version of the SDK is being used, all camera live streams will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a cylinder of 100m diameter and 30m height to ensure the aircraft stays within line of sight."

I am using the legacy Go4.0.7 & Firmware.400.
  1. Put iPad into airplane mode.
  2. Fired up Go4 and connected to the Mavic.
  3. All appears to be as it should be, minus the maps.
  4. Did not try with Internet enabled.

Also: Can anyone actually confirm this app update is or isn't forced like a previous update?
Please confirm:
  • Start Go4 and connect to aircraft and internet.
  • Does the Go4 app become disabled till updated or can it still operate and not be updated?

I have to know and I'm too chicken to try it!

This is from a DJI developers email:
"If an application is not activated, or a legacy version of the SDK is being used, all camera live streams will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a cylinder of 100m diameter and 30m height to ensure the aircraft stays within line of sight.".
I believe it is the live streaming feature disabled, not necessarily the "camera".
Nobody is arguing if you update it will be restricted UNTIL you re activate. I find it hilarious that people here seem to think this update will give DJI magical powers to just brick your drone or reduce its capabilities to nothing. And its based on what? Something someone from the tin foil hat society said? I guess ensuring you don't fly your drone where your not supposed to is considered crippling it. Then there are some that think the new TOS explicitly states DJI can screw you yet they can't tell you anything about the one they agreed with the first time because they didn't even read it. It stated that in the first one everyone clicked away without even looking at it. I don't think it even changed. All DJI is doing is updating software. Not making sweeping changes to its entire company. Why would they change it? Was it stated anywhere they were updating their TOS? Once again I am not defending DJI because if it turned out to be true what everyone is stating Ill never buy anything from them again. But come on people. Lets have some facts here instead of spreading nonsense.

Reactions: geigy
This update is in the App, and not in the firmware, so all the comments about dont update etc. are not correct.

As for being legal etc. I expect it is being done to protect sensible pilots from morons who decide they want a nice picture of a Boeing 737 on finals at the airport and many places around the world have no fly zones such as military installations, national parks and cities where irresponsible flyers are using their Mavics and jepodising the hobby for all of us.

Any possible explanation why DJI puts all its customers to re-login?
My personal belief is that its for the Spark customers. DJI wants the TOS to apply to all their drones and I think they realize some existing customers may also purchase it. Instead of trying to figure out what Spark owners are already existing customers and who is a new customer they just make everyone re agree to cover everything. It removes the "but I didnt know that applied to my new drone too" excuse. But thats just my belief.

This update is in the App, and not in the firmware,...
Yet....

Besides .700 firmware did not let you take of in an airport NFZ anyway even with the previous app. So.... as long as DJI does not clearly and without ambiguities state what are the new restrictions or all the backdoors incorporated to their new app I'd still advise people to stay put....

My personal belief is that its for the Spark customers. DJI wants the TOS to apply to all their drones and I think they realize some existing customers may also purchase it. Instead of trying to figure out what Spark owners are already existing customers and who is a new customer they just make everyone re agree to cover everything. It removes the "but I didnt know that applied to my new drone too" excuse. But thats just my belief.
So you're saying if I purchase a Spark and connect with my iPad/Go4 they won't know I am current Mavic user?
Would I not have to register the virgin Spark via the app regardless?
Why not just create a separate app instead of introducing bloatware?

the TOS to apply to all their drones
Should you have said "the new TOS"?

It removes the "but I didnt know that applied to my new drone too" excuse. But thats just my belief.
So current Mavic owners have read the TOC in its entirety and will do so again along with all the new Spark owners?

as long as DJI does not clearly and without ambiguities state what are the new restrictions or all the backdoors incorporated to their new app I'd still advise people to stay put....
I'm with you @MacPap, very suspicious due to the ambiguities when taken in context with "statements" about hobbling the quad, not immediately but the hobble function is now there and that is the aircraft's default state which requires unlocking.

I purchased the quad outright with licensed software to perform a certain way. I will feel cheated if any loss of ability or performance occurs for any reason that was not of my making regardless of the contractual law involved but rather from the moral high ground upon which I stand.

Last edited:
So current Mavic owners have read the TOC in its entirety and will do so again along with all the new Spark owners?
Doubtful. Nobody cared the first time so I still don't get why they care now. Must be all the back doors and bricking codes and restrictions that some claim the new app has in it. I wish I had a sneak peak into the new coding too so i knew exactly what was in it before even seeing it.

That was my point. It would be cheaper and easier for them to just create one app that covers all.

:eek:Now that just opens a whole new can of worms.

I wonder what the actual costs would be to have apps for each unit?
P3 range, P4's, Inspires, Mavic and Spark...
Would it be millions or a few hundred grand?
I would have assumed the additional development/deployment costs would easily be offset by fewer warranty claims and happier client base.

Been busy so I just tried to catch up on a few pages since I last looked. I've seen a lot of really moronic things written since then. I'm going to try and address them all because I'd really like to not have my time wasted having to read such idiotic garbage again.

First "You agreed to the TOS when you bought your Mavic and no one made you buy it". Ridiculous. I was presented with no TOS before purchasing my product. I bought my Mavic on Amazon. Those who said this and those who will say it again, please screen shot the TOS on the Amazon page that I evidently ignored which I accepted by checking out.

Second "My car, my blu ray player, my tv, my cat etc all require periodic updates...so what?" Sure, they do. But do the manufacturers of those products tell you that if you don't update your car windshield will be blacked out? Your blu ray player won't play? Your tv will only get one channel? No, they don't. THAT there's an update is not the problem. THAT there is an update with the threat that if you don't do it your product will be limited is. Doesn't mater if they don't end up limiting your drone. All that matters is that they are comfortable having made a threat. This is not how you treat your customers or customers you want to keep, anyway.

Third "Stop crying that they owe you new features..blah blah blah". LOL, ok Dad. Show a single post where anyone said DJI is obligated to prove new features to someone's purchased product. There wasn't a single post that even remotely resembled such a demand that I saw. Stop muddying the waters.

Fourth "why are you worrying about what may happen, just go out and fly!!" ROFL. Are you kidding?? I think hands down the type of post that appears on this board more than any other is "OMG, you went one foot over 400??? You blinked and lost VLOS???? Do you know what could have happened???? You could have KILLED somebody you ignorant, irresponsible flyer that will be the death of my beloved hobby. There are more posts on here crying about worrying what could have happened than anything else. It's called weighing the risks and consequences and something any responsible and smart person should do

The same people who are sharing their opinion of what this means or what will happen (and let's stop kidding ourselves folks, you people aren't in any better position to comment as an authority about what WILL happen than the rest of us...it is just your OPINION and you are only guessing as we are) are the same people who are calling those of us raising legitimate concerns all sorts of names. Shut up. Have a different OPINION? Fine, share it. Stop being condescending. There's zero need to call names to your fellow members here because they don't see things eye to eye.

This business practice is wrong and deceptive at best, criminal at worst. There's no reasonable justification for doing business this way. Maybe nothing will happen and that would be great. However that's not the issue is it? No, the issue is how they are going about doing what they are doing and that they not only have the ability but are willing to use it to significantly alter your product after you purchased it to something vastly different from the features they advertised you would enjoy when you bought it. THAT is the problem.

Maybe not tomorrow, maybe not for two years. If you are being honest with yourself and can recognize the situation for what it is, there's absolutely no possible way you can argue for, or justify, that this is a righteous, legal, or acceptable business practice. So stop. Really.

Second "My car, my blu ray player, my tv, my cat etc all require periodic updates...so what?" Sure, they do. But do the manufacturers of those products tell you that if you don't update your car windshield will be blacked out? Your blu ray player won't play? Your tv will only get one channel? No, they don't. THAT there's an update is not the problem. THAT there is an update with the threat that if you don't do it your product will be limited is. Doesn't mater if they don't end up limiting your drone. All that matters is that they are comfortable having made a threat. This is not how you treat your customers or customers you want to keep, anyway.
DJI has made no such threat. At least not to me. I am not updated and My Mavic not restricted or limited in any way. Still fly's just as it did the day I bought it.

I bought my Mavic last week and luckily still have firmware 4 in it. I sideloaded the Dji go app version 4.0.4 so im running both version without any issue on my S8+. With a newer DJI Go 4 app i get nothing but crash and disconnected the minute i start it up. I have seen the message about the update on later week but i never have any force update and get my app locked for not doing it.

I updated this morning, and flew with absolutely no problems - nothing changed. My belief is that DJI is putting themselves in the position where they can force compliance with local laws governing drone operation. As someone who tries to stay within the law, and definitely within the bounds of safety, I am easy with this. If the laws of the country put further restrictions on my flying I won't be happy but as a law abiding citizen I will comply. If DJI is helping me to comply, then all well and good.

Reactions: Owen Manderfield

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada