DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is what DJI does with the Mavic legal?

Again you're speculation is unfounded. There is zero proof that supports DJI Hobbling the drones if and when it senses it being flown in the wrong area or fashion.

That's what makes all of this nonsense. They said they wanted to update the Geo system so it knows where you are flying so it doesn't wrongly apply flight restrictions.

I used to live on the border of the USA and Canada, this new system ensures the drone doesn't hold me to Canadian flight restrictions by more precisely knowing where I am at. This isn't a guess, this is what they said!

Everyone is perpetuating this fear that DJI will ground all drones at will, or could or might. It's all a bootytrap to promote everyone's agenda.
unfounded speculation ?????Continue to read this post , this is FACT
Do you just realize what you just said ??????
"I used to live on the border of the USA and Canada, this new system ensures the drone doesn't hold me to Canadian flight restrictions"
You had no restrictions Before you updated , Now you do have restrictions lolllllllll You fell for there Bootytrap
What DJI is doing is they want you to install the upgrade then sign another TOS ......... do you get this so far?
Now being that you upgraded you have to sign the TOS ...... Are you getting this ???
If you don't sign the TOS your controller will get locked into beginner mode !!!!!!!!!!!.........Got it ??????
"You didn't even realize This" because more then likely your one of the few people that just click away
Think Twice before you post your nonsense ...... Good luck with your Updates

Reactions: wayy510
Wait you don't like having to update?

There isn't one tech product on this earth that doesn't have to be updated! All tech is created by coders and as such have human errors in them.

Google Jailbreaking. Even Apple is constantly patching and fixing issues
OMG your really lost !!!!
You think There isn't one tech product on this earth that doesn't need updates ?????????
There are millions that don't !!!!!!!
Wake Up......... You need updating lolllll

Last edited:
OMG your really lost !!!!
You think There isn't one tech product on this earth that doesn't need updates ?????????
There are millions that don't !!!!!!!
Wake Up......... You need updating lolllll

Flashlights, calculators and my lamp don't need updating.

Anything with FW and hardware working together gets updated.

Even my WiFi Crockpot just got an update, and believe it or not it made me sign back in afterwards. I think they're stealing my pot roast recipe

Reactions: ecoleman
Well I can see by your punctuation you're clearly upset.

You win, win for arguing to no point at all.

DJI updated the app, and didn't make you update the FW. That's a fact. I'm proof.

Today and yesterday I flew without my "app" all together. Just goggles and the drone. The app doesn't mean anything.

Take care buddy. Let us know how the lawsuit goes!

stealing my pot roast recipe ????? Maybe they are loolllll
You say, Anything with FW and hardware working together gets updated???????
Sorry to burst ya bubble However your wrong
One day you will understand ...... Today is just not that day

DJI updated the app, and didn't make you update the FW. That's a fact. I'm proof.

Today and yesterday I flew without my "app" all together. Just goggles and the drone. The app doesn't mean anything.

I not upset and im not arguing with you ...... Im just stating the Facts you failed to see .
You are right you don't need the App to fly, However like I said before if you update to the new FW/Software and not sign the new TOS your Mavic Remote controller will be stuck in Beginner Mode with or without the app // only if you Do Not Sign The New TOS after you installed the New FW ........ The FW is making this change to the Remote controller and AC ........ not the app
Like I said ...... your speaking too soon about this new FW/Software that you installed

I am debating for the future of these amazing machines which won't be so amazing once the bureaucrats get done with it.
Maybe.

I'm of the opinion that these technologies will in fact be liberating for honest pilots rather than restrictive.

Once authorities have the ability to directly target and bring down an individual aircraft in real time, and reliably identify its operator, I think we will see a relaxation of some of the most annoying rules to hobbyists, like VLOS, for example.

Further, as the technology improves the safety and reliability of remote operations, extending range, etc. the pressure to change this rule will increase. Technologies like this will provide the strong argument in favor of allowing this while still protecting the public.

So many here get some sort of macho self-satisfaction calling others paranoid, tin-foil hat wearers, and on and on for citing nefarious use of drones as a reason for these restrictive control technologies.

Such people are shallow thinkers. Who do they think needs to be comfortable with all this? Drone pilots, or the general public?

Reactions: MacPap

I think it's time we just let the loonies get on with it. I'm going out again to fly my updated, unrestricted Mavic. Gonna join me?

These are DJI words NOT mine.
DJI said:
In July, DJI aircraft firmware will require mobile applications that control DJI aircraft to be activated with the user's DJI account.
• On July 1, this feature will go live on all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware
• If an application is not activated, or a legacy version of the SDK is being used, all camera live streams will be disabled, and fiight will be limited to a cylinder of 100m diameter and 30m height to ensure the aircraft stays within line of sight.
Yes, I'seen that statement many times, and you simply are not reading it correctly. I believe this may be because you are not a technical professional like an engineer, but that is an assumption and I may be completely wrong. Sincere apology if I assumed wrongly.

It's that last point you are misunderstanding. In order for DJI to cause those limitations to take place, you have to update to newer firmware in the Mavic. We believe the code for implementing these restrictions first appeared in .700, but no one really knows. However, I'm about as confident as I can be that it is NOT in .400.

So, unless GO4 4.1.0 refuses to operate with the drone unless it is updated (which would be a forced update, and there is no evidence anywhere that this is going to happen), the software necessary to enforce these limitations is not there to enforce them.

You, and many others, totally misunderstand what's going on here, what's being updated, and how all the various pieces of the ecosystem (Smart app, RC and AC firmware, DJI authentication servers) work together. The whole reason DJI is pushing hard to get people to update is because they can not implement these controls without you updating.

Go ahead and continue to believe that, on July 1, people on .400 firmware will suddenly find themselves limited. I know it won't happen. However, I will look around and see if you, and others, are enjoying your Crow lunch.

Listen, yesterday in Arizona there was a fire and police couldn't get to the fire because there were five drones trying to film it. They tracked down most of the pilots and arrested them, but this is becoming more and more of an issue.
We had two similar situations here in the Santa Cruz Mountains in the last 12 months.

Last summer there was a fire, and helicopters were grounded from carrying and dumping water because of private drones buzzing the fire.

This winter, same issue at several disaster sites after the huge storms we had. There was one locale where a rescue heli couldn't get in because of buzzing drones. The pilot eventually just risked it and fortunately landed and took off safely.

The people here who dismiss these very real risks, often snidely, are simply put, idiots.

Reactions: SkunkWerx's
Yes, I'seen that statement many times, and you simply are not reading it correctly. I believe this may be because you are not a technical professional like an engineer, but that is an assumption and I may be completely wrong. Sincere apology if I assumed wrongly.

It's that last point you are misunderstanding. In order for DJI to cause those limitations to take place, you have to update to newer firmware in the Mavic. We believe the code for implementing these restrictions first appeared in .700, but no one really knows. However, I'm about as confident as I can be that it is NOT in .400.

So, unless GO4 4.1.0 refuses to operate with the drone unless it is updated (which would be a forced update, and there is no evidence anywhere that this is going to happen), the software necessary to enforce these limitations is not there to enforce them.

You, and many others, totally misunderstand what's going on here, what's being updated, and how all the various pieces of the ecosystem (Smart app, RC and AC firmware, DJI authentication servers) work together. The whole reason DJI is pushing hard to get people to update is because they can not implement these controls without you updating.

Go ahead and continue to believe that, on July 1, people on .400 firmware will suddenly find themselves limited. I know it won't happen. However, I will look around and see if you, and others, are enjoying your Crow lunch.

Good post, but I see where the other side is coming from.

Your point is that it has to be restricted from within the firmware, not the fly app. But is that true? I would tend to side with you on this, since the drone can be piloted without the control app connected.

That being said, I'm skeptical of any claim DJI doesn't have the ability to restrict flight when the app is being used, but if they do that, it's effectively an illegal crippling of the drone with no acceptable purpose, and a major change to the core functionality of the device. That is where lawsuits come from.

Actions speak louder than words. I guess we'll see what happens in the coming months. I'm on .400 and sticking to it --- works great.

Flashlights, calculators and my lamp don't need updating.

Anything with FW and hardware working together gets updated.

Even my WiFi Crockpot just got an update, and believe it or not it made me sign back in afterwards. I think they're stealing my pot roast recipe
Goonie, while you and I are solidly on the same side in this argument, I hardly think flashlights and crockpots are good examples of the class of product we're talking about here.

Even if the crockpot has wifi :D

Reactions: SkunkWerx's
Good post, but I see where the other side is coming from.

Your point is that it has to be restricted from within the firmware, not the fly app. But is that true? I would tend to side with you on this, since the drone can be piloted without the control app connected.
Any restrictions can be implemented in either or both places (AC firmware, GO4 app). However, from a design perspective it needs to be done in the firmware to ensure these limitations are enforced when flying without the app, or using a 3rd party app that hasn't been updated to use the new SDK.

So, in my judgement (COO of small tech firm, have managed software R&D at various levels for the last 20 years) they definitely implemented it in the firmware, and likely didn't bother wasting the resources implementing these controls directly in the app, as engineering resources cost a lot of money, and there are all sorts of trivially easy way to get around the restrictions being enforced through the app.

That is all my opinion, of course. Informed opinion.
That being said, I'm skeptical of any claim DJI doesn't have the ability to restrict flight when the app is being used, but if they do that, it's effectively an illegal crippling of the drone with no acceptable purpose, and a major change to the core functionality of the device. That is where lawsuits come from.
Nope. When you updated the app to the version containing these controls, you agreed to them in the new Terms of Service for the app.

Really, I know this stuff like the back of my hand. I've been dealing with these sorts of legal issues for decades regarding software. The reason customers have absolutely no leg to stand on regarding ANY changes to the GO4 app is because they update it voluntarily, and agree to the new terms, addressing any changes in functionality, voluntarily.

IF anyone could actually get into a courtroom to argue such a case, the first thing the DJI lawyers will say is, "She was under no obligation to update to the newer version, she could have continued using her DJI product exactly as she was with the existing version of GO4 installed on her device".

At that point, the judge would dismiss the case -- with prejudice, and probably make you pay DJIs legal fees.

What some here just won't accept is that they have no right to future work from DJI, nor do they have any basis to assert rights they voluntarily surrendered when accepting a piece of software for free (GO4). In lieu of payment, DJI instead asks you to surrender certain rights regarding the use of the application in exchange for a license.

This is such routine, mundane legal stuff w.r.t. software I'm amazed so many here are chafing under the yoke of long-established contract law and industry practices.

Reactions: MisterMavic
.Go ahead and continue to believe that, on July 1, people on .400 firmware will suddenly find themselves limited. I know it won't happen. However, I will look around and see if you, and others, are enjoying your Crow lunch.
What YOU don't understand is that well be as sad as you if that proves to be true....

Correct.

They also haven't demanded that I furnish them bank account numbers, passwords to my stock trading accounts, and a host of similarly nefarious things that, like forcing a firmware update, there is no evidence at all will ever happen.

But we can say "yet" to any speculation. It's how fear-mongering works.

BTW @MacPap, have you stopped beating your wife yet? I have no evidence, but why should that stop juicy speculation and fear-mongering?

...The people here who dismiss these very real risks, often snidely, are simply put, idiots...
Stoping (or even "put away") idiots for obstructing a rescue operation is one thing. And I don't think anyone would argue on that.
Restricting sane people from having fun with their drone because of those idiots, however is a completely different beast.
And i do not think that by restricting the abilities of a drone for everyone you stop idiots from being idiots (as they are defined above).

...BTW @MacPap, have you stopped beating your wife yet? I have no evidence, but why should that stop juicy speculation and fear-mongering?
I do not live in a country where such practices are welcomed... Aside of that I never announced that i would do such a thing. That would be similar to what DJI does by announcing something... :)

Last edited:
What makes me smile however is that every one is Dji is right this Dji is right that and nothing will happen and .....
But most of these people remain put on .400.
Either way well know soon enough.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580