DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It it legal to fly near a demonstration?

kona

Reactions
I mean not above the crowd, but sideways so one can film it. I'm imagining it is not legal, but don't recall reading specific legalese to that extent.

As long as you are abiding by all applicable national regulatory agency regulations and local laws, it would be legal.

Laws vary by country, and we've got no idea where you are.

Here it's pretty precisely defined, you must not be closer than 100m laterally from any group of more than 24 people unless you've got specific prior authorization from the civil aviation authorities.

I'm in the USA. I imagine that since helicopters could be in the area, it will be illegal. But I want to know the law.

The US is also a big place. As far as helicopters (and all manned aircraft) you need to give way to them. If you are flying within 5 miles of a airport you need to contact the airport owner "and" tower. because helicopters _could_ be in the areas does not automatically mean you cannot fly.

Reactions: kona
If you are asking specifically whether photographing them is legal, In the US, you have the right to photograph anyone in public with a drone or anything else, same as anyone else, unless they have a reasonable expectation of privacy, (such as their backyard or rooftop etc.)

In the US if it is not illegal then it's legal. Not trying to be smart a$$ but many will simply not do something if in doubt, so eliminate the doubt. Find out if there is any restrictions on launch or landing in the area, find out if you are closer than five miles from an airport with a control tower, and notify them, and don't fly directly over or dangerously close to anyone. If you've covered your bases, you are legal, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
I hope it stays that way. Something tells me with all the drone hate out there and Canada going crazy already the Mavic 2 might not see the light of day.

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
I hope it stays that way. Something tells me with all the drone hate out there and Canada going crazy already the Mavic 2 might not see the light of day.
It is definitely an ongoing fight.

Under commercial operations and part 107 you cannot fly over people. Recreation would be a different story. Best thing I can recommend would be to make sure you are flying in unrestricted airspace, preferably not directly over anyone. Do understand that if your aircraft were to malfunction and it hits someone you could find yourself in the slammer (it's happened more times than once). Be smart, be safe, and understand the consequences of the worst case scenario.

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ