DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It seems that the new firmware update has limited my HD transmission range instead of improving it.

Jamison74

Reactions
Installed the new update this morning, all went smooth no problems with updating both the Mavic and RC. Went out to fly a known route at about HALF the distance I normally HD signal loss the signal dropped dramatically. I checked my settings, flew to the home point. Next battery flew another route well known to me with the same result. I might add, I live in a rural area with topography so flat you can see the curvature of the earth in the horizon. So I am always pushing the distance on my Mavic with great results consistently. I don't have a question per se. But any feedback or advice would be appreciated.
But has anyone else that flies out long distance notice a difference after today's update? ?
*I have already downgraded the FW and flew the other 4 batteries and all is back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Maybe it was a freak solar flare or spike in the kp index. I am baffled

Sometimes when companies say they have improved something like the signal, all they have really done is moved the metering scale and cutoff point up a bit or adjusted the threshold levels. So 40% signal becomes 30% and what was 10% becomes zero or the cutoff point. This works fine for the casual close in flyer because he never pushes it down to 20%, so he will never see any kind of breaking up in the video but the guy who use to get breakups at 20% and then continues flying down to 10% now gets perfect signal at 20% and the signal is gone by time he hits the distance where he use to have 10% signal.

Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: Airboy
I only did 3 flights today and no long distance. But at 10k', it was rock solid like before. I don't really notice a difference.

Maybe it was a freak solar flare or spike in the kp index. I am baffled

Havent upgraded my Mavic yet but will be doing it as soon as I get back home.
I might be flying a couple of times later today, will post my report :)

They could have messed with the Auto spectrum chooser. I always manually set the frequency range using 10hz. Switch to custom and see if the currently selected region has lots of noise, mine had auto selected the highest noise range after fw update.

Sent from my XT1650 using MavicPilots mobile app

Anyone else tried real long distance with new firmware? Anything to report?
I'm still at 280...

I have owned all Dji's hobbyist drones since the 1st phantom. Once the wow factor settles down from the time of a models 1st release, they begin cutting the performance throat of each model. After each firmware update there has been some type a change that results in less performance. It may not fly as far, or as fast, or as long, there just seemed to be something in most peoples opinions that took the aircraft in the wrong direction. The worse part was there was never any shared details on what changes took place. Plus there would be groups of those that had issues that they never had prior to the updates.

I wasn't able to try out my MV today since I just got home and it was already too late... The thing is, it seems the new software does not improve the previous version in any way...
Still I will try it out tmorrow morning and add my experience in this forum once I'm done (and hopefully returned home my Mavic safe and sound).
Spanish Flyer

I have owned all Dji's hobbyist drones since the 1st phantom. Once the wow factor settles down from the time of a models 1st release, they begin cutting the performance throat of each model. After each firmware update there has been some type a change that results in less performance. It may not fly as far, or as fast, or as long, there just seemed to be something in most peoples opinions that took the aircraft in the wrong direction. The worse part was there was never any shared details on what changes took place. Plus there would be groups of those that had issues that they never had prior to the updates.

Any other sources on this? would love to read more about it. seems like the apple/iphone effect?

Any other sources on this? would love to read more about it. seems like the apple/iphone effect?

I don't think there is anyone here that has been around as long as I have. Most from the old days split up between the Phantom 4 pro and Inspire 2. Unless someone changed their screen name, I have yet to recognize but a few.

You pretty much have to read and follow the flight data that to have to convert to a readable format to see most of the unknown changes.

I can vouch for Frank. Been on the phantom forum since end of 2014 and started with the FC40 and continued with most models through I2. The DJI journey has been pretty predictable. Get in on the first couple fw updates as they are major fixes, then you get crippled.
The only caveat was the I1-V2 with C series RC had the best range of all the I1's. so that kinda bucked the trend

Last edited:
I completed the upgrade and after experienced a dropout as you can see from the pic below(red segment). The mission was an out and back returning on the same path as outbound. The drop out happened only on the outbound path and not in the same spot during the return path. There is no interference source that I know of i.e. cell tower, ham antenna, etc that would explain that specific segment drop out so my take is that this was a transient drop out and not a static drop out as I'd have seen the same issue during the return path. Of the ~15 flights I have under my belt in this area this is the only time I've seen this problem so I'm suspicious of the FW update.

dropout.PNG

Reactions: Jamison74
Yes it's true that in the past they have dumbed down the capabilities in software after release. Certainly true with P2V and P3.

About the Mavic and this update, I flew to 11k' this morning and lost FPV/telemetry in the app (but not on the RC). But I never tried this location before. I will do a controlled real test sometime soon where I know the Mavic was solid at 20k' before the update. I don't do distance flights much but need to understand the capabilities, so do them occasionally.

Reactions: temptation
I'm always adjusting the RC antennas so they're correctly angled toward the drone.

89b0a80274a9b28208612e1724a0dbb6.jpg

Maybe this was a factor? Has it happened on more than one flight since the update?

Installed the new update this morning, all went smooth no problems with updating both the Mavic and RC. Went out to fly a known route at about HALF the distance I normally HD signal loss the signal dropped dramatically. I checked my settings, flew to the home point. Next battery flew another route well known to me with the same result. I might add, I live in a rural area with topography so flat you can see the curvature of the earth in the horizon. So I am always pushing the distance on my Mavic with great results consistently. I don't have a question per se. But any feedback or advice would be appreciated.
But has anyone else that flies out long distance notice a difference after today's update? ?
*I have already downgraded the FW and flew the other 4 batteries and all is back to normal.

Signal propagation based on laws of physics. Unless hardware physically changed, no amount of firmware will help.

Reactions: syke and Jamison74
I completed the upgrade and after experienced a dropout as you can see from the pic below(red segment). The mission was an out and back returning on the same path as outbound. The drop out happened only on the outbound path and not in the same spot during the return path. There is no interference source that I know of i.e. cell tower, ham antenna, etc that would explain that specific segment drop out so my take is that this was a transient drop out and not a static drop out as I'd have seen the same issue during the return path. Of the ~15 flights I have under my belt in this area this is the only time I've seen this problem so I'm suspicious of the FW update.

View attachment 6455

Reminiscent of so many games where the graphics they showed off at E3 ended up being nothing like the release version of the video game.

Another reason not to immediately blindly autoupdate.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots