DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It seems that the new firmware update has limited my HD transmission range instead of improving it.

Signal propagation based on laws of physics. Unless hardware physically changed, no amount of firmware will help.

Actually enhanced noise filtering can help to improve range in areas where the loss resulted in excessive noise.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I don't think there is anyone here that has been around as long as I have. Most from the old days split up between the Phantom 4 pro and Inspire 2. Unless someone changed their screen name, I have yet to recognize but a few.

You pretty much have to read and follow the flight data that to have to convert to a readable format to see most of the unknown changes.

Don't doubt you, I'm a firm believer in if it's not broken don't update it. After reading a few threads it seems like a lot of people are running into issues, is there anyway to bipass the update? I'm going to be flying in new locations for the next month in Asia and can't have it malfunctioning

Reactions: Jamison74 and AyeYo
Don't doubt you, I'm a firm believer in if it's not broken don't update it. After reading a few threads it seems like a lot of people are running into issues, is there anyway to bipass the update? I'm going to be flying in new locations for the next month in Asia and can't have it malfunctioning

More importantly for those who already updated, there is no way to go back?

This pattern of DJI performance bait and switch is very concerning, on the same level of Zano.

Reactions: Jamison74
If this is true, can DJI get hit with a class action of false advertising?

I've never gotten anywhere near that 7 mile advertised range and now with each update it is getting worse and worse.
Pretty soon it will have the range of the SYMA

I don't think there is anyone here that has been around as long as I have. Most from the old days split up between the Phantom 4 pro and Inspire 2. Unless someone changed their screen name, I have yet to recognize but a few.

You pretty much have to read and follow the flight data that to have to convert to a readable format to see most of the unknown changes.

Been around since 2014 with my first proper drone fc40.

Re range issues, my experience has been opposite.
I dont think the range has been decreased at all.
The firmware/software has had a few glitches on route by very happy with the current offerings.

You bypass by ignoring the messages that tell you there is a update.

More importantly for those who already updated, there is no way to go back?

This pattern of DJI performance bait and switch is very concerning, on the same level of Zano.

The Dji Assistant provides a option to return to previous version. The app would consist of deleting the version you're replacing, and searching for the apk of the version you want to return to.

You bypass by ignoring the messages that tell you there is a update.

The Dji Assistant provides a option to return to previous version. The app would consist of deleting the version you're replacing, and searching for the apk of the version you want to return to.

Ah okay, I thought I read somewhere another user was fuming because it wouldn't let them fly after trekking an hour to get a great shot. Would the warranty be voided if you're not flying with the latest firmware?

Ah okay, I thought I read somewhere another user was fuming because it wouldn't let them fly after trekking an hour to get a great shot. Would the warranty be voided if you're not flying with the latest firmware?

DJI Care is more comprehensive than warranty. Get your monies worth. That was the whole point of spending $99 for the DJI Care.

DJI Care is more comprehensive than warranty. Get your monies worth. That was the whole point of spending $99 for the DJI Care.

I guess would the DJI care be voided if you're not flying with the most recent firmware? this is just for the sake of inquiry since there was another post about 3rd part accessories, just wondering how stringent they are. I have statefarm insurance so doesn't quite matter in my case but I'm sure a lot of people are reliant on warranty/DJI care here.

I guess would the DJI care be voided if you're not flying with the most recent firmware? this is just for the sake of inquiry since there was another post about 3rd part accessories, just wondering how stringent they are. I have statefarm insurance so doesn't quite matter in my case but I'm sure a lot of people are reliant on warranty/DJI care here.

Or alternatively you can allow DJI to force the update, have your drone fall out of the sky, possibly killing someone, then get sued, or maybe even charged for manslaughter and spend the rest of your life in prison, while DJI washes blood off its hands, always blaming pilot error. Yes, DJI Cares indeed.

WARNING INSPIRE 2 fell out of sky

DJI can't have it both ways, if not doing an update causes me to lose my DJI Care, then on the flip side, if I do the update and it kills someone is DJI going to man up, accept full responsibility and pay for all my legal defense fees and anything and everything else that comes out of it? No? Guess which route is cheaper for them? Yeah I don't think they will use the excuse of me not doing an update to deny me the DJI Care that I paid for. That ways then they could always say "hey, sorry it fell out of the sky and hurt someone, but we pushed out an update, he didn't take the update" . But they can't have it both ways. They can't force a customer to do the update with the implied threat that DJI Care is null and void unless the update is performed immediately, and then turn around when the update causes something catastrophic and walk away from it all and not take a hit.

Last edited:
Installed the new update this morning, all went smooth no problems with updating both the Mavic and RC. Went out to fly a known route at about HALF the distance I normally HD signal loss the signal dropped dramatically. I checked my settings, flew to the home point. Next battery flew another route well known to me with the same result. I might add, I live in a rural area with topography so flat you can see the curvature of the earth in the horizon. So I am always pushing the distance on my Mavic with great results consistently. I don't have a question per se. But any feedback or advice would be appreciated.
But has anyone else that flies out long distance notice a difference after today's update? ?
*I have already downgraded the FW and flew the other 4 batteries and all is back to normal.

I have the same problem... sigh... time to downgrade to older FW...

In the new FW .4000 according to the release notes:
1. What is "interval mode"?
2. In what way is the "video transmission optimised"?
a) Is the video down link rate (Mbps) dynamically reduced when video signal SNR drops or Attenuation increases(meaning if the video signal degrades will the FW reduce its transmission quality/bandwidth to maintain long range?
b) or does the opposite happen, meaning when signal degrades below a threshold level then you get loss of signal earlier than before with the new FW and so reduction in video transmission range?

Sent from my SM-T810 using MavicPilots mobile app

Never been able to get any we're close to 22k ft. With my mavic.Best I've done is 13k ft no better no worse then my old phantom 3 pro

Not trying to fan the flames but someone mentioned that software cannot change the hardware of the Transmitter and receiver. That is not true with the Mavic. The Mavic uses a Software Defined Radio (SDR) which DJI call Ocusync.
Almost every parameter of an SDR radio can be changed via software. Power output, sensitivity, BW, filters, and the list goes on. Personally I doubt they lowered the power output or did anything to degrade the transmission but if your worried roll back the firmware with DJI asistant 2.

As for being sued for not having up to date firmware. That is impossible! There is no law that says you have to have an internet connection and keep the device up to date. Millions of people live in houses in remote areas without internet. The company is responsible for getting the firmware right when they sell you the product. You are not the one in the wrong if you did not do an update of the firmware.

This FW X range debate has been going on since forever. I'm yet to read a definitive, solid, indisputable conclusion on wether it does or does not decrease range, anywhere. The best thing I've seen was a guy testing 2 identical P3As with different FW versions at the same time, a couple of times. Both had exact same range.

Conditions change reasonably along time, even in exact same locations. Air density, humidity, wind, whatever. All this and a lot more impacts range. Now, it's true the FW can control over transmission parameters and this could impact range in either way. And some P3 Tx versions were definitely better than others in this regard, though that's HW not FW. But every new FW release by DJI has sparked this paranoia. Each time without any serious proof.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest