DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It seems the drone world is full of hypocrites

First and foremost, make sure you have insurance.
Most flyers don't and if you crash and hurt someone, you could be liable for millions!
Not worth the risk. There are plenty of uav insurers now and some will insure both your craft and damage to a third party.

Reactions: Mike_in_Letcombe
The issue is more about the idiots who fly over 'downtown' areas, over motorways / freeways and give a commentary about how they didn't have full video feed / low battery / 'no idea what went wrong' type of thing then promptly publish their videos online. They are endangering people below and seem to have no idea why - basically, they should be banned from flying the **** things! Then you have people who understand the ethos behind the rules / guidelines, why it's not acceptable to put others at risk and use common sense. Beyond line of sight when in a city is ludicrous; beyond line of sight, in a desert or over a lake, is totally different. What none of us want are the authorities, in both the US and here in Europe, cracking down on ALL drone users because of the idiotic antics of immature, reckless fools. But they have plenty of ammunition to attack us with, as there are hundreds of the 'how far / how high / how illegal can I possibly be' videos out there. Sooner or later, I fear we will all be banned from ANY public flying due to these idiots.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Grey Wolf
So I am American and am living for a few years in Japan. I have only flown the drone in Japan; it has similar but not exactly identical laws to USA. I used to fly large electric helis in private fly clubs in USA. When I was considering getting a drone, I looked at all the nasty growth of regulation in USA, and all the nasty growth of regulation in Japan, and decided as follows.
  • I can remain compliant and feel safe flying in Japan. It restricts me a bit, but not so much I would not bother to buy and fly a drone.
  • I would have difficulty remaining compliant and feeling safe flying in USA. The extra scrutiny at all levels of government, the in-your-face "drones are evil" mindset some people have, the first-to-sue knee-jerk culture in USA just makes my stomach churn.
The laws, as I said, are almost the same between the countries. The culture is not.

When I was a kid in the 60s, 70s, I remember a whole lot more of "well, it's a free country, I guess." Now it's a lot more "there should be a law against that." I feel like a lot of Americans have forgotten what freedom means, and those who do venture to do their own thing have forgotten what personal responsibility and accountability means: they enjoy freedom in the most reckless way possible.

I decided Japan will be a good spot for my Mavic. I don't know if I will want to fly anywhere near as often when I move back to USA.

Reactions: kodiak1120
Maybe so but that is an absolute waste of my tax dollars. I'm all for authorities focusing on activity that actually cause harm.. not made up harm. Not imaginary harm. Not theoretical harm.. real harm real danger.

Maybe someone needs to stop watching YouTube for guys flying out of VLOS and pay more attention to the Harrison Ford's of the world. Just thinking out loud.. SMDH
Uh where did Harrisson Ford cause harm exactly?
Exact same thing, he could have. Coming down on him is no different from coming down on someone posting a video with behavior that could have caused harm.

Reactions: joet
First and foremost, make sure you have insurance.
Most flyers don't and if you crash and hurt someone, you could be liable for millions!
Not worth the risk. There are plenty of uav insurers now and some will insure both your craft and damage to a third party.
Here in the UK, I have £30,000,000 of 'third party' insurance, costs me a whole £33.00 per annum. Almost daft not to take it out...

Reactions: Grey Wolf
Where did you get your UK insurance from?
BMFA - you become a 'country member' and this allows you to have 3rd party insurance, legal back up, etc. Plus you get your insurance certificate, membership card (which tends to shut people up if they ask 'are you licensed for that thing???') so quite a good deal. Just google BMFA and you'll find them.

Reactions: Jamesmac
BMFA - you become a 'country member' and this allows you to have 3rd party insurance, legal back up, etc. Plus you get your insurance certificate, membership card (which tends to shut people up if they ask 'are you licensed for that thing???') so quite a good deal. Just google BMFA and you'll find them.
Thanks for the info. I'll probably join up this weekend!!

Thanks for the info - I had looked at BMFA, but I was under the impression you also had to be a member of a local flying club. Was I incorrect in thinking that?

The current US FAA rules do not classify different types of UAS by risk for a given aspect of flight. The same rules apply to advanced quads like DJI, cheap $80 crap with no GPS, RTH, auto hover in position, etc, fixed-wing model airplanes, R/C helicopters - and all of these could weigh up to 50 lbs!

They have said that the rules would be subject to relaxing (well, Part 107, anyway), and I am hoping that they come out with UAS classes, each of which must observe some or all of the existing rules based on their risk profile. For example, it's a very low risk that a properly flown DJI quad will hurt someone while flying over them, as there are safety features that cover positioning, altitude, loss of control signal, etc. That's a lot different than an R/C copter, which generally upon LOS will simply crash.

However, my concern is that the more we have incidents involving quads - and really, 95%+ of the incidents I've read about appear to be DJI equipment - the more risk may be assigned to them. RTH works great until someone flies it 5 miles out with 35% battery left, and then it lands on a busy street and causes an accident. The more people obey the law AND guidelines, the more likely that we will have more freedoms, IMO - and the opposite as well.

However, based on the responses I get on here when I am trying to explain the actual law, not that many people are interested in following it, so I've pretty much given up and - quite frankly - have gotten kinda soured on participating here and in FB groups.. I'll just let the FSDO sort that kind of thing out in the future. My understanding is that they are beginning to look at YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, and forums to find and identify scofflaws..
Not from what i've heard, I heard that they aren't looking at youtube videos. But what I heard is a rumor so I don't know but i'm pretty sure they aren't going around looking for videos. MAYBE local law enforcement is but not the FAA.

I would agree. I'm sure the FAA has better things to do than troll YouTube for violators, and if they did come knocking at your door just because you post a video they have no way to prove it's you unless your talking or showing your face in the video.

Reactions: Kestrel
Is this a UK question or a USA question about people breaking rules on flying drones/quads?

I am in USA and here we have rules/guidelines. (really can you police over 600,000 drone owners and climbing).

As an operator/hobbyist you need to use your better judgement on what is safe and what is reckless. That was always taught when starting out flying RC planes. The same applies to drones/quads as well.

I guess what I am trying to say is you are the operator and its up to you to do the right thing.

As far as YouTube goes post what you want, if you know you are following the rules at the best of your capabilities then there shouldn't be a problem with the content you post.

If I'm not mistaken, the FAA's "fly within sight" for recreational users is a guideline. Not a federal law. And the violation of it does not have prescribed legal penalties. Of course, I could be wrong about that. And for the record, I'm completely opposed to operating any UAV in a reckless manner or outside of one's control. And not over 400 feet - too many aircraft up there.

But when we talk about the "rules" I think we need to understand and be clear about what is a law and what is a guideline.

I found a couple of links that seem to clear it up some. The first link is the real restrictions. Airspace Restrictions The second are just guide lines. Where to Fly Per their site other than FAA Restricted Airspace, Temporary Flight Restrictions, Stadiums and Sporting Events, Wildfires, Airports there really are no other laws just guide lines.

If I'm not mistaken, the FAA's "fly within sight" for recreational users is a guideline. Not a federal law. And the violation of it does not have prescribed legal penalties. Of course, I could be wrong about that. And for the record, I'm completely opposed to operating any UAV in a reckless manner or outside of one's control. And not over 400 feet - too many aircraft up there.

But when we talk about the "rules" I think we need to understand and be clear about what is a law and what is a guideline.
FAA sets guidelines, they don't make laws, Law enforcement is the ones that enforce those laws.

FAA sets guidelines, they don't make laws, Law enforcement is the ones that enforce those laws.

FAA REGULATIONS are codified in law (14 CFR), with legal penalties like fines and jail for violating them.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...rts/civil_penalties/media/civil_penalties.pdf

For violations of certain aviation laws and regulations occurring before December 12, 2003, the
FAA has authority to issue orders assessing a civil penalty of up to $50,000. For violations of
certain laws and regulations occurring after such date, the FAA has authority to issue orders
assessing a civil penalty of up to $400,000 against persons other than individuals and small
business concerns and against individuals and small business concerns the authority to issue
orders assessing a civil penalty of up to $50,000.​

FAA REGULATIONS are codified in law (14 CFR), with legal penalties like fines and jail for violating them.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...rts/civil_penalties/media/civil_penalties.pdf

For violations of certain aviation laws and regulations occurring before December 12, 2003, the
FAA has authority to issue orders assessing a civil penalty of up to $50,000. For violations of
certain laws and regulations occurring after such date, the FAA has authority to issue orders
assessing a civil penalty of up to $400,000 against persons other than individuals and small
business concerns and against individuals and small business concerns the authority to issue
orders assessing a civil penalty of up to $50,000.​

Is this for Drones or is this for Civil Aircraft? There is a set of regulations set forth by the FAA for just drones.

Getting Started

Public Law 112-95, Section 336 – Special Rule for Model Aircraft

(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a communitybased set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport
(b) STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION.—Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursue enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who endanger the safety of the national airspace system.
(c) MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘model aircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is— (1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;

Is this for Drones or is this for Civil Aircraft? There is a set of regulations set forth by the FAA for just drones.

The regulations are different, but the fact that penalties can be levied is FAA-wide - which is the point I was making. Doesn't matter if you violate a drone regulation or a civil/commercial aviation regulation, the FAA can still fine you and you can still go to jail depending (obviously) on the offense.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S