DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It seems the drone world is full of hypocrites

Somebody on this forum posted an article about a tiny lightweight SUPER bright strobe that had its own battery that could be attached to the belly of the "drone" which would allow you see its position (but not attitude) a looonnng way out.

I've got one of these for my P3P but I haven't had a good chance to test it for distance yet.

It seems to me that the FAA should include a limitation that their rules don't apply below the tree or building tops. There aren't going to be any aircraft down there as long as your about a half a mile from an airport.

You'd think so, although it's easy to accidentally send the thing high into the air (or god forbid a firmware bug that makes it try for 5000 feet on Thursdays whose date is the product of two prime numbers or something funky like that). Maybe once these fabled airspace grid maps are ready from the FAA we'll see some less-restrictive rules at certain airfields?

I found the article on every known faa fine levied to suas (as of a year ago,) quite interesting.

Of the millions of flights, there were only 24 fines issued for all of history.

Of those, about 12% were reduced to no fine, nearly all the remainder fines were significantly reduced. Most of the fines were for people who were creating an obvious safety hazard like flying over a stadium full of people, or flying in Washington, D.C.

I would like to see the stats for 2016!

The greywolf comment was classic, he is ripping the Mods in this thread and the pilots on the Inspirepilots forum. I'm kinda shocked he isn't responding to this thread...

The greywolf comment was classic, he is ripping the Mods in this thread and the pilots on the Inspirepilots forum. I'm kinda shocked he isn't responding to this thread...
Mods in that forum a little more lenient than here .
Their lucky. ;)

Reactions: Bigdz
The drone nannies are making this site really tedious. Practically every thread turns in a discussion of what people think you can and can't do. Take a look at the messages some of these people post. I looked up GW's and he had about 157 messages of which 95% where "You aren't allowed to do that!" I wonder what drives some of these individuals to take on the role of drone police when they don't even really know the rules. Rant over.

Reactions: Strafe1 and Kestrel

The ignore function makes a world of difference. If you stop feeding the trolls they eventually go away.

Last edited:
Imagine if the car had only just been invented.

I doubt any of us would ever have had the pleasure of being able to drive and visit friends and places we would have never been able to visit.

I hope officials do see that there has to be a common sense approach to health and safety, rules and regulations for drones.

Assessments of risk have to be a priority to minimise danger for every pilot no matter how old.

With advanced equipment, technology and educated pilots, we all should be allowed the freedom of enjoying flying.

Reactions: Bigdz
In my opinion only the FAA should be able to regulate them. Not local governments, park departments, GreyWolf, or other entities. Only the FAA just like with manned aircraft. You don't see municipalities or parks saying manned aircraft can't overfly them.

Reactions: mfangler
In my opinion only the FAA should be able to regulate them. Not local governments, park departments, GreyWolf, or other entities. Only the FAA just like with manned aircraft. You don't see municipalities or parks saying manned aircraft can't overfly them.

From my understanding, This is already how it works.

Certian government entities regulate drones by prohibiting landing/taking off from within a park, as an example. It is still legal to fly over the park, you just can't land or takeoff there.

This is an effective ban out west in the big parks. Not so much for small parks like the Ellis island and the Statue of Liberty.

The drone nannies are making this site really tedious. Practically every thread turns in a discussion of what people think you can and can't do. Take a look at the messages some of these people post. I looked up GW's and he had about 157 messages of which 95% where "You aren't allowed to do that!" I wonder what drives some of these individuals to take on the role of drone police when they don't even really know the rules. Rant over.
It's all about safety and following the rules.
That's all it is.

Reactions: djorgen
I'm glad you realized it wasn't me ripping the Inspire pilots.
I'm also an Inspire pilot. And I don't break the law either.

And you are a recent member! I get the impression from your post that it is your intention to break every rule in the book with regards to drones!

And you are a recent member! I get the impression from your post that it is your intention to break every rule in the book with regards to drones!

This just shows how judgemental you are and proves my point. I'm a licensed Airline Transport Pilot and a captain at a major US airline. I will have my UA license by the end of next week. I've been flying since 1987. What are your credentials to judge others and pontificate on here?

Reactions: frankiez
This just shows how judgemental you are and proves my point. I'm a licensed Airline Transport Pilot and a captain at a major US airline. I will have my UA license by the end of next week. I've been flying since 1987. What are your credentials to judge others and pontificate on here?
I have my UAV licence already. I'm ahead of you.
Time to be nice people!
I've had enough of this. This has to stop.
Time to shut this thread down.
It's getting out of control.

I have my UAV licence already. I'm ahead of you.
Time to be nice people!
I've had enough of this. This has to stop.
Time to shut this thread down.
It's getting out of control.

Haha..I kind of hope people start threads like this to see Grey Wolf's responses. I think there is another thread titled "Drone Police" that he needs to read, it goes with the quoted post perfectly.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580