DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Italy and Greece drone regulation

Thx to @Nasko who finally got the form you are now able to save time by getting the form directly from here. SO, if you plan to visit Greece for vacations and you want to go by the book (totally up to you) here it is:

OFFICIAL REPLY, DETAILS AND FORM

Dear Sir,
Thank you for contacting Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority (HCAA).
Since January 1st 2017 a new regulation concerning Drone operation in Greece is in place (Official Government Gazette ΦΕΚ Β’ 3152/30.9.2016, attached in EN Version).
All Drones with flight capability >50m must be register. Registration in HCAA’s Data Base requires Greek Tax Registry identification.
For citizens of EU countries national state registration is accepted. For non EU countries citizens CAA’s approval & registration policy will be considered. (I think they mean 'will be used instead')
In order to operate a Drone in Greece there is a general rule permitting drone operation in a distance as shown in the picture below. Flights are prohibited beyond sunset and above persons and infrastructure (at least 50m distance) and all safety measure must be undertaken. All national and EU Data Privacy legislation must be observed.

Drone flights are permitted in areas (Free Flying Zones) where no restrictions applies (Civil Aviation, Military, Security, Archaeological, etc). This information can be retrieved using a new on-line application that can be found in our website: http://dagr.hcaa.gr.

All other fights (> 50m in free flying zones) must be approved by HCAA. An application form can be filled and send via email. The application form is attached.
In the form you have to include drone Registration No and if this is N/A you have to submit full drone details (S/N, Model, characteristics, etc.). Flying area in WGS84 coordinates must be stated.
All personal details must be included (Name, ID, Address, etc) and a valid Mobile Number in order HCAA or local authorities (Local ATC units, Police, etc) may contact you.
We inform you that you have the obligation to inform the local authorities (Police and Municipality Authorities) for your flights.
As far as your flight plan, in Free Flying Zones, you can send it, via email, maximum 3 days prior to your flight and you will receive HCAA’s response.
We hope that the above mentioned information will be helpful to you and we remain at your disposal for any additional questions.

View attachment 13927 View attachment 13928

I have to say that I'm amazed with the effort that you gave collecting all that data for the forum but at the same time I can't stop laughing with our(Greek) policy for drones......

thx mpampis, I think it would be great if we could have official guidelines for all countries and only members can help us do so. I also agree with you about the policy, it is very strict. I think they over exaggerated and it would be very difficult for us, local or foreign, to stay legit at all times. Last but not least, I have no idea if authorities are well informed regarding the subject, no offence police officers, and how they the long arm of the law will actually apply...

PS: I also think that I am protecting my self from over exaggerated officers as well as annoyed citizens. knowing the law is empowering... following the law... well... thats another thing...

if you take time to check the web app (Drone Aware - GR no need to register to check areas), you will be amazed by the restrictions in almost all of our islands. 8km radius in all airports (logical) but tons of Heliport Perimeters which require human authorization after flight plan submission.

View attachment 13872

Hi Hexagon,
So heliport perimeters are ok as long as we get approval for the submitted plan?

Reactions: makalu
Hi Hexagon,
So heliport perimeters are ok as long as we get approval for the submitted plan?
Talked to them on the phone since I had the exact same question. They told me that if I am registered as a hobbyist I well never get approval on a heliport perimeter. Only professional quad pilots can be approved... pffffff

ok guys...so i've been here in Santorini already for 4 days...the only one place that i saw the sign "NO DRONES" was at Oia...
so far haven't seen any police or security person in the whole island ...
I did fly my Mavic from my hotel ( at Imerovigli ) twice...i did once from the highest point of the island for the Sunset...and also i just did it for another Sunset from the top of the Volcano (Skaros Rock). Also i did it from the Catamaran once we stop for a swimming and diving( did the famous Catamaran sailing tour for the island)
I think all of you will be fine as longest fly smart and not over peoples heads or private balconies.

BTW, can u give me a pointer to this sailing tour :)

They are 4-5 companies that do the cruise...i booked with this one spiridakos.gr (check the website for points). It's either day( 10:30am ) or sunset (3:30 pm) tour. Last 5 hours...you have 3 stops for Swimming and one of them is longer because they do BBQ for you (chicken , fish , calamari, tzatziki ,pasta, greek salad ) .Also you have unlimited drinks as a soda,water ,juices and Local beer and wine.The prices are between 100-150€ depends of the company and the dates(slow season or no). They all do a transfer from and to the Hotel where you staying at.

2735d25c0b91217383a22a58e8b4b46a.jpg

Reactions: mildim
I'm yet another soon-to-be-visitng the beautiful Greek islands (Naxos and Santorini) in a couple of weeks with my Mavic Pro. So if you see me flying it (hopefully undetected by those who wouldn't want us flying) please do say hello! @Hexagon Supremely useful information! And all of the other members who've contributed to this discussion - similarly grateful. I've just sent them an email ....awaiting to see what they say :)

Reactions: makalu and Hexagon
Thanks for your effort on gathering this information Hexagon. Greetings from Norway. We had new rules introduced January 2016, but they were not as extensive as yours. From the looks of it - it seems that the HCAA copied the EASA prototype rule and possibly tightened it even harder - then applied it as rule? If so - the new EASA rules will be good for drone operators in Greece :).

I have one question. The application form is very specific on where, when and what. I am travelling to south western parts of Crete in a few weeks, and I don't know where and when I want to fly. I do a lot of 360 panoramas as well as 3D structure mapping. Generally I think most of my flights will be within the 50m limit. Do I still register with the same form? What to put in the field "date of aerial photography"?

Happy to help you. You are totally right, the form is very specific and must be submitted 10 days before for approval. Doesn't make much sense... If I were you and wanted to play be the book I would send 3-4 different forms with different dates i.e. 3-4 days in a row, so just to be sure that I am almost legit. You can use the web app here Drone Aware - GR to view areas which are NFZ free. No registration is needed. However, there is no need to do all the above if you intend to fly within 50m radius.

ok guys...so i've been here in Santorini already for 4 days...the only one place that i saw the sign "NO DRONES" was at Oia...
so far haven't seen any police or security person in the whole island ...
I did fly my Mavic from my hotel ( at Imerovigli ) twice...i did once from the highest point of the island for the Sunset...and also i just did it for another Sunset from the top of the Volcano (Skaros Rock). Also i did it from the Catamaran once we stop for a swimming and diving( did the famous Catamaran sailing tour for the island)
I think all of you will be fine as longest fly smart and not over peoples heads or private balconies.

Hi I am also here in Imerovigli, I saw a mavic fly over my villa and also a phantom. No one seemed to notice, but I know the sound and was excited to see it. I saw a mavic pro over Oia yesterday despite many no drone signs. People here don't seem to notice them at all, or if they do think they are cool. I have my mavic here but I just got it last week and have only flown it indoors in tripod mode. I want to fly it here but also not cause trouble or disturb locals or other guests and maybe not sending it into the ocean would be nice. Any advice for new flyer?

Hexagon thanks so much for the info. USA laws have changed and now you don't need to register it there so you it means I think under new regulations you must also register in USA voluntarily first.

Reactions: Hexagon
They are 4-5 companies that do the cruise...i booked with this one spiridakos.gr (check the website for points). It's either day( 10:30am ) or sunset (3:30 pm) tour. Last 5 hours...you have 3 stops for Swimming and one of them is longer because they do BBQ for you (chicken , fish , calamari, tzatziki ,pasta, greek salad ) .Also you have unlimited drinks as a soda,water ,juices and Local beer and wine.The prices are between 100-150€ depends of the company and the dates(slow season or no). They all do a transfer from and to the Hotel where you staying at.

2735d25c0b91217383a22a58e8b4b46a.jpg
There are several boat tour companies, Caldera Yachting, and Santorini Sailing. For catamaran, smaller size, sunset do you recommend one over the other? Santorini Sailing has a private beach they stop at.

Hi I am also here in Imerovigli, I saw a mavic fly over my villa and also a phantom. No one seemed to notice, but I know the sound and was excited to see it. I saw a mavic pro over Oia yesterday despite many no drone signs. People here don't seem to notice them at all, or if they do think they are cool. I have my mavic here but I just got it last week and have only flown it indoors in tripod mode. I want to fly it here but also not cause trouble or disturb locals or other guests and maybe not sending it into the ocean would be nice. Any advice for new flyer?

Hexagon thanks so much for the info. USA laws have changed and now you don't need to register it there so you it means I think under new regulations you must also register in USA voluntarily first.
Did first flight today near Skaros Rock. Loads of fun.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada