DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's going viral! ...finally hit 1M views

These cars don't belong to spectators....rather this is the dumping ground for vw tdi cars that have been bought back by the corporation because of the emissions scandal.

The stadium has been abandoned for years. The roof collapsed in 2013. This used to be the worlds largest indoor stadium. Now it's awaiting demolition.

Last edited:
Interesting potential.
Video is too long though!
One should not yaw the Mavic while filming.
It is not fluid enough for that procedure. You should only yaw to frame shot.
Perhaps shooting with the Inspire would be Better for this shoot as you can pan the camera.
A couple of really low angle flyovers of the cars would add to the story as would more shots of the decrepit stadium!
Could make a great video but keep each sequence no more than 7 seconds otherwise viewers get turned off!

Interesting potential.
Video is too long though!
One should not yaw the Mavic while filming.
It is not fluid enough for that procedure. You should only yaw to frame shot.
Perhaps shooting with the Inspire would be Better for this shoot as you can pan the camera.
A couple of really low angle flyovers of the cars would add to the story as would more shots of the decrepit stadium!
Could make a great video but keep each sequence no more than 7 seconds otherwise viewers get turned off!
I agree a low flyover would be cool. And more stadium, in fact, the stadium could be an entirely separate video. The average time for a Youtube video is 4:20, the suggested length for a 'short' video to be at or under 3 minutes, but more than 2 minutes. One could adjust the expo's and get smooth yawing from a steady hand. ;)

I'm going to disagree on the "one should not yaw the mavic while filming". You can see in the video that the pilot is trying to yaw slowly in some of his shots. Some setting changes and practice will make it better at some point.

I'm going to disagree on the "one should not yaw the mavic while filming". You can see in the video that the pilot is trying to yaw slowly in some of his shots. Some setting changes and practice will make it better at some point.

Totally agree, ok i have a few years experience but this is manual flying and i never even had it dialed in with correct expo lol

Reactions: younumpty

I'm a total noob that can definately benefit from some practice. This is my first real drone and I've only had it just over 2 weeks.

Back to the original question. I don't see any obvious FAA violations. The stadium is under a shelf of the Detroit Class B airspace but that doesn't start until 6,000 feet. The altitude does not look too high to me. Not over people. Not over an active sports stadium. Looks pretty good. Interesting subject to boot.

Reactions: HeavensAbove
There are a couple topics in this thread I would like opinions on when it comes to legality and etiquette.

Strafing: If I wanted to fly over these cars at low altitude, what is the lowest altitude that doesn't make me a jerk or a criminal? These vehicles are plainly visable from the street, but they are parked inside a chain link fence. There are a couple of $9/hr security guards on site, but I don't see them giving me any issues. They look like they mostly just sit in their shack and open the gate to let trucks in/out.

More video of the stadium itself:

What are the rules here? Is it ok to fly in very close proximity to abandoned buildings such as this? The fence around the parking lot is probably 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the building.

From a technical aspect, without permission, this becomes a risky endeavor as recovery of a lost mavic would likely be impractical. Mavic cannot fly inside as the signal would likely be completely blocked by the metal walls. Mavic should return to home......or at least ascend and allow the controller to reconnect and rth to be cancelled. If I put in enough effort, I could probably get permission to get inside the building. Flying around inside would be pretty awesome!

I agree a low flyover would be cool. And more stadium, in fact, the stadium could be an entirely separate video. The average time for a Youtube video is 4:20, the suggested length for a 'short' video to be at or under 3 minutes, but more than 2 minutes. One could adjust the expo's and get smooth yawing from a steady hand. ;)
Could you give your expo settings? I seem to be all over the place because the settings I have don't seem to match what I expected.

edit.....

it's going viral.

had 600 views 3 days ago

30K views this morning

110K views by 9pm today.

i don't know what this means...but its pretty exciting.

It means you should have monetised it! You can still do this. If you need any advice on the steps gimme a shout. I've had a channel for a couple of years and 2 million views later it effectively paid for my Mavic. First off get an Adsense account if you've not already set one up. Link Adsense to YT account and turn on monetisation switch in video.

A little bit of research found the reason for your explosion in views...

This Aerial Video Puts The Scale Of VW's Buyback Scheme Into Perspective

You'll normally find that you'll get more exposure on the back of it. Folk sharing article on social media, other media agencies may also pick up and run with it.

Advice in real estate is location, location, location. With YouTube it's monetise, monetise, monetise!

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada