DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I've banned OA for RTH.

AlanTheBeast

Reactions
Before I start on my settings, etc. this decision fits the way I fly currently and foresee flying over the next while. This reasoning may not be right for your circumstances and might not fit my own future circumstances.

After recently understanding (as discovered on these hallowed pages) that an OA hover 'til battery death do us part event is not only possible, but likely given my preference for magic hour shooting, I've turned off OA for RTH and set RTH at the max legal height above ground (or at least TO point). Indeed given the ridiculously low max height in Canada (300'/91m), I'd consider, for the purposes of RTH height alone, setting the RTH to 400'/122 m. (I assume it cannot be set higher than the max however so if I set it that high, I'll have to be careful not to exceed that in normal circumstances).

This works for my current and foreseeable flying. That is, there will never be an obstacle that high between me and my MP for the range I would be flying. (insert various finger crossing and wood knocking guarantees here).

Hoping DJI one day actually grok the issue and land the ****** thing straight down when the battery is on its last Joules in such situations. And improve the OA in such situations as well. Or pack a parachute into the battery pack that bursts open when the drone runs out of power. Doesn't have to be a perfect parachute, just enough to protect people and property below and hopefully the drone itself.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54