DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I've done a complete u turn

Wacker2611

Reactions
Well,we all get carried away a bit when we're looking for the best possible solution for our pastime don't we? Like many others I spend a lot of time on this and other forums, looking for advice on the best stuff to get to fly with. I've had my Sony Xperia z3 for ages and completely happy with it,no discos, no crashes, no issues whatsoever. However the grass is greener on the other side scenario started to kick in, with all the reports on how great the iPad mini 4 is with the Mavic in particular. So I bought one.
It arrived so I immediately went out on a sunny day to do a field test using the iPad and the Sony back to back. It was a revelation, but not for the reason I was expecting. The iPad was unbelievably difficult to see even with full brightness. Going back to the Z3 was like a breath of fresh air, much brighter and crisper even with the smaller screen.
I've really learnt something here......Sent the iPad back and have now learnt to be happy with what I've got.
If you're looking for the brightest possible screen with no hiccups at quite a low cost, the Z3 is peerless.

It happens a lot on forums, a certain idea gets reposted and becomes established fact with not a lot of evidence to prove it.
Ipad and Apple are not indisputably better with DJI.
After a period of indoctrination with the *known facts* if you point out something contrary you may as well try to persuade people 2+2=5

I'm waiting for the Crystal Sky Monitor, personally.
Much brighter than any tablet screen can ever be.
Tablets were never designed for drone flying in mind.
I expect pricing from DJI to be announced next week during NAB!

Reactions: SteelFlyer
It's funny because I was having problems with my iPad 2 Mini with video lag problems and I then tried my LG V10 and wow what a difference in being able to see the screen. The new Galaxy S8 has pretty much double the brightness too (1k Nits in Max Brightness). Going to take one out from a store and see it in direct sunlight.

I use an ipad mini 4 but am very very often switching to my iphone 6 because i cannot see the mini's screen. It is not bright enough

I'm waiting for the Crystal Sky Monitor, personally.
Much brighter than any tablet screen can ever be.
Tablets were never designed for drone flying in mind.
I expect pricing from DJI to be announced next week during NAB!
Here in New Zealand the P4P+ is $600 more expensive with the monitor. So this would be an indication the Crystal Sky wont be cheap. It is a lot thicker than an iPad or smart phone, so you may have to use a third party adaptor mount. The specs do look good though.

Its a pretty well known and established fact the Ipad's brightness is one of its shortcoming when it comes to use with these drones. Its been discussed at length on this forum as well as any of the other "...pilot" forums that discuss DJI drones...

I think we have to remember Apple did not build the Ipad with the drone user in mind. DJI chose the Apple Ipad as a preferred/supported tablet. I knew this would be problematic when I chose a tablet and decided on an Ipad. What I knew I'd get is a table that otherwise would integrate seamlessly with DJI Quads, and it has. I've never had a problem with updates and upgrades, connectivity or anything that had me panicking. Sure there have been some very minor hiccups, but Ipads (as long as supported models) have worked whether it was any of my Phantoms, Inspire, and now Mavic...

Well,we all get carried away a bit when we're looking for the best possible solution for our pastime don't we? Like many others I spend a lot of time on this and other forums, looking for advice on the best stuff to get to fly with. I've had my Sony Xperia z3 for ages and completely happy with it,no discos, no crashes, no issues whatsoever. However the grass is greener on the other side scenario started to kick in, with all the reports on how great the iPad mini 4 is with the Mavic in particular. So I bought one.
It arrived so I immediately went out on a sunny day to do a field test using the iPad and the Sony back to back. It was a revelation, but not for the reason I was expecting. The iPad was unbelievably difficult to see even with full brightness. Going back to the Z3 was like a breath of fresh air, much brighter and crisper even with the smaller screen.
I've really learnt something here......Sent the iPad back and have now learnt to be happy with what I've got.
If you're looking for the brightest possible screen with no hiccups at quite a low cost, the Z3 is peerless.

Reactions: Bintryin
I have an Ipad mini 4 and am able to see the screen very well. I manually set the screen to full brightness. I also don't use polaroid sunglasses. The screen is optimised for polaroid in the portrait mode but it needs to be landscape for the RC.

Running an iPad mini 4 here and i am very satisfied with it, my next investment will be the CrystalSky monitor.

iPad mini 4 is ok, I have a matte screen protector on that stops the glare and with a hood its very effective. My iPhone 7 is much better in the sun.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu