DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jane stop this crazy thing!

Bill Debevc

Reactions
Ok I am new at this. But yesterday I hit a chain link fence, me getting cocky. Today I flew into the middle of a few palm trees. Flying a but too fast.

There has got to be a way to get it to stop quicker.

Btw the fence broke 3 props. On the palm tree the Mavic bounced off and keep hovering. Then I had to gingerly fly it out of the way between the trees.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I hope you have DJI Refresh, because at the rate you're going you'll need it. On a serious note, I suggest either you fly high above crap or get to know the area you're flying in a little better.

Slow the controls down too.. I found it to allow me to make bigger mistakes as a beginner. Once I got better thumb control and aircraft control in general I made them faster

Reactions: toegema
Bill ! put it in beginner mode.....get used to it and then put it in normal mode and fly it in open spaces to get used to it and then get cocky ! Learn all about it and it will love you back. I have 45 flights including some indoors and (knock on wood) not a nick and have not flown into anything..... yeah, it will happen some day when I put it into sport mode and do something stupid however I have been taking the time it takes to learn everything about the toy first..... and how it responds.....

Glad to know you have DJI Care refresh. In this hobby is not a matter if you crash, it is a matter of when you crash. It is just a matter of time when this will happen, you're just accelerating the "when' part.

Reactions: Twan and Icarus
Here is a photo of the palm trees I was stuck between.

76ee23d00c534f8612f9ed0047de22d5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

You are flying in what seems to be a pedestrian area and an area close to a road, have you considered the limits of your talent and the risks to others, you have responsibilities.

Don't blame the equipment (tools), learn the limit of you're capabilities with the equipment and then decide if you can fly a quadcopter at the speeds and in the location you are aiming for safely with the risks associated with the area.

Thanks for the buzz kill MavicPete and longrange, glad you took the time to comment. I am not flying over the road, the fence stops me :) there is no one around, if there were I wouldn't fly, don't want to hurt anyone but myself and some props.

Bill, some here are using pretty inflamatory language, but try to take what they're saying to heart.

People go to the hospital when drones get out of the control of the pilot.

Drones are fun but they're not inconsequential toys you can just throw around without preparation and consideration of others. You say the fence stops you but the shot we all see has no fence between you and pedestrian/automobile areas. If you goose the sticks a bit too roughly you will be right in their way. Take things slow, don't pick up bad habits from YouTube, heck, you can learn good habits by watching a few "drone crash compilation" videos.

People are giving you very solid advice, you just don't want to hear it. Put the Mavic away. Get something very small and very cheap. Then learn to LOS fly it in an empty soccer field. Come back to the Mavic when you've mastered LOS flying on a non-gps, rate mode quad.

Reactions: M4RK and Alabast
I guess I will need to find a new forum to belong too. I would have thought that this would be somewhere I could learn.

Thank you everyone.

You will learn. The thing is pilots like those above and maybe myself have been flying since aged 7 so that will make me a veteran of 38 years... scary when I think of it!
Point being drones are not any different to the scale jets I fly. Sure they are simple to fly but if you're not a kid and older it takes time to get the skills.
Meanwhile if you screw up a lifetimes flying gets outlawed. Don't take offence, look at it from the point of view of some who have loved this hobby or sport for 30 plus years... [emoji1598]

Fly safe... :)

I agree with most of the posts. (this will be my last post)

Yes, people can get killed by getting hit by one of these "Toys", I understand that very well.
Yes, property can get damaged by the drone.
Yes, I understand that if I am stupid, stupid things will happen.

That is why I am flying in an open field when the park is empty and keeping it low as to let the fence and tree stop the drone. I would rather break my drone than something or someone. Drones are cheap, especially this one and I can always by another.

I asked what I thought was a simple question at the start of the thread, hoping to learn something.

Guess what I did, there are more people on this board that would rather tell someone where they broke a law, hurt the hobby, or otherwise. All this doing is making people go away and not come back, but guess what they will still fly their "Toys" and no

Good luck to everyone.

That is why I am flying in an open field when the park is empty and keeping it low as to let the fence and tree stop the drone. I would rather break my drone than something or someone. Drones are cheap, especially this one and I can always by another.

This was the sentiment we were all hoping for-- I think you dug your heels in when people started pushing their experiences onto you, which spiraled (pardon the pun) out of control. I think many of us hear "I can throw money at the problem" as a negative sentiment, where we were hoping for "I can find places where there are no people."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007