DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jello and ND filters for Mavic?

CactusJackSlade

Reactions
I've watched a lot of video reviews on the Mavic and there were a few that noted "micro vibrations" in the video... I'm wondering if this might be a slight "jello" issue.... and if so how soon someone will have ND filters available (if needed).

Every DJI copter with a camera on it to date has needed ND filters in bright lighting situations to control/eliminate jello in the video, I wonder if they have managed to control this issue on the Mavic?

Reactions: zzyzx
DJI and PolarPro are both working on filters. I'm sure we'll see the other usual companies releasing Mavic filters in the near future too.

PolarPro's filters are not out yet. You can pre-order them though.

The original description on the PolarPro website described the filters as screwing on. The current description no longer mentions that. Due to the fact that the Mavic does not have a detachable filter and given the proposed filter appearance (not sure if this is their final design), it looks like these are going to be push on filters.

dji_mavic_3pk_grande.jpg

Would anyone mind listing out what each filter does? I just need a darker polarized lens.. not sure what all the others do..

Filter-Use-Chart.png

Reactions: Mako79
The original description on the PolarPro website described the filters as screwing on. The current description no longer mentions that. Due to the fact that the Mavic does not have a detachable filter and given the proposed filter appearance (not sure if this is their final design), it looks like these are going to be push on filters.

View attachment 332

Yeah, that is my concern -- there does not appear to be any threading so these appear to be press fit which means any variation in lens barrel diameter or in filter diameter could either mean the filter doesn't fir or is too loose.

Brian

I'm guessing that's why PolarPro isn't shipping them yet. They are probably waiting to test/tweak/finish their design.

Yeah, that is my concern -- there does not appear to be any threading so these appear to be press fit which means any variation in lens barrel diameter or in filter diameter could either mean the filter doesn't fir or is too loose.

Brian

There is a material that can be 3 D printed named NinjaFlex NinjaFlex Flexible 3D Printing Filament | NinjaTek that these could be manufactured from which actually allows the material a slight amount of give or flex. Think Stretchy Jeans but for an ND filter body. Then camera barrel inconsistencies would be much less of an issue.

I print items that need to be somewhat flexible with this material like a power port cover for a Panasonic Toughbook. panasonic toughbook cf_30 power cover by 3ditalianprinting

I doubt we're going to see any of the usual filter manufacturers selling 3D printed filters.

Reactions: baron.oishi
I think your right as 3 D printing is used for quick and dirty prototyping. Get the design printed quickly and then see if it meets all the specs. Then tweak the design and reprint till the initial design meets standards. Then create the mold for the final injection molded parts to be produced.

I was trying to point out that there are materials that could be used in a mass production environment that would allow the filter body to be manufactured to provide a slight "grip" to the barrel of the camera.

Yep. And, it appears PolarPro might be using some type of rubber on the outside of their filters. Or, maybe they are planning on including some type of spacers like they ship with their P3S filters. Their products are usually well made, so I don't think they'll disappoint us.

There's any number of ways they might attach the filter and the use of a rubber like material is probably the best guess. They could use a set-screw, but that would risk damaging the lens barrel so not very likely. They also need to make this as light as possible so fancy locking mechanisms are out of the question.

Brian

There's any number of ways they might attach the filter and the use of a rubber like material is probably the best guess. They could use a set-screw, but that would risk damaging the lens barrel so not very likely. They also need to make this as light as possible so fancy locking mechanisms are out of the question.

Brian
Hey Brian,
Sorry it took awhile for the response, we just got dialed in on the Mavic Pilots site.
We don't have anything mechanical going into this filter, the tools will just need to be very precisely dialed in to account for variance on the Mavic lens barrel. This is something that we can hone in pretty quickly, as we do it with our GoPro filters all the time. The target weight on these filters will be sub 3 grams.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions!

-Jeff

Every DJI copter with a camera on it to date has needed ND filters in bright lighting situations to control/eliminate jello in the video...

How does the ND filter help with jello?

Also I see the 3 pack only includes filters for use on partly cloudy or cloudy days. So if you shoot in the sun you need to upgrade to the $100 pack?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e