DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jello effect heavy in video

You're not showing us a video?

In general, jello is vibrations transmitted from airframe to camera. Gotta fix that. Loose rotor, chipped blade, loose motor mount or arm, loose gimbal elastic, bumping gimbal in maneuvers, etc.

Some people will probably say even in this thread that adding a neutral density (ND) filter will somehow magically fix your jello. It won't. Fix the vibrations.

I second vibrations. Did you nick your props on anything. Prop vibration is the most likely cause. Put on a new set as a start.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Nate107
Thanks for the reply. I will upload the video later because I just arrived at work. I'm hoping that its the blades, I haven't changed them since I received the Mavic which was a few days before Christmas. I have care refresh but I hope I wont have to use it because if its anything with the motors or rotors i'm clueless. Thanks so much for responding halley.

Im hoping that's the case dmyers7, I haven't changed them since I received the drone so I'll keep my fingers cross and change the props ASAP. Thanks a lot for your response. I feel a lot better now. I use a rubber band to keep the props together during transit, and I've flown quite a bit, so its time to change the props. Thanks again!

I have had that issue a couple times. Is it like the whole screen goes (very) wavey for a second or so then it clears up?

Yes, only for a few seconds, and it seems to do it more while im flying forward. But it happens flying backwards also. It happens frequently and it gets very wavy but only for a few seconds.

Vibration is one more "why" I often remove the blades and inspect each one carefully along with the mount and spring. Usually the night before an outing.

Looking forward to hearing some feedback if new props fix it. Have you updated to the latest firmware? I remember reading one of the firmwares worked to fix gimbal jitter in cold weather (assuming your in a cold weather climate like some of us). Also assuming your not flying with a ND filter while this is accruing (extra weight on the gimbal as a possible cause).

Thanks Alan, I really didn't know what to look for when inspecting the blades because their isn't any noticeable damage. Ive had them on since the beginning so it may be time to replace them. I hope the blades are whats causing this jello effect. Ive flown many flights and this has just started to happen.

So the jello effect happen to me for the first time this weekend.

Prior to that, I was capturing a shot, landed it and instead of flying it to my next location (approximately 2 blocks away), I decided to hand carry it while the mavic was still on and when I took off from the second location, that was when I noticed the "jello" effect. I simply turned off the mavic and controller and it fixed it.

These gimbals are more sensitive than my ex girlfriend

Thanks Alan, I really didn't know what to look for when inspecting the blades because their isn't any noticeable damage. Ive had them on since the beginning so it may be time to replace them. I hope the blades are whats causing this jello effect. Ive flown many flights and this has just started to happen.

It could be something else - really inspect the gimbal for damage - esp. up in the mount (rubber band) area. A gimbal calibration may help (I sort of doubt that, but you never know).

You may have deformed props using the elastic band?

I don't think this has anything to do with props or gimbal. My jello is kind of like changing channel on an old analogue TV. You know, it's super wavey for a second like its 'tuning in'. That's the best way I can explain it.

I have read on a few other threads that it is more related to your shutter speed vs frame rate.....and the simple fix is to use ND filters to lower your shutter speeds and it will resolve the issue. It makes sense and can say that when running the appropriate ND filter for the given light conditions, I have never had the jello effect crop up. But with no filter, I have had it a couple of times....

If you're only getting some wavy video for very brief moments during maneuvering, I would not call that jello. Jello is ongoing and persistent (the whole scene looks like it wobbles like gelatin).

The gimbal has some retaining clips to ensure it is not lost even if hard maneuvers or a minor crash bumps the gimbal free of one or more of the elastics. Unfortunately, the gimbal occasionally bumps the retaining clips during some maneuvers. You just have to learn how to fly smoother to avoid 90% of these bumps, and the other 10% is just bad luck when a gust of air pushes the gimbal a bit more than the rest of the drone.

If you're only getting some wavy video for very brief moments during maneuvering, I would not call that jello. Jello is ongoing and persistent (the whole scene looks like it wobbles like gelatin).

The gimbal has some retaining clips to ensure it is not lost even if hard maneuvers or a minor crash bumps the gimbal free of one or more of the elastics. Unfortunately, the gimbal occasionally bumps the retaining clips during some maneuvers. You just have to learn how to fly smoother to avoid 90% of these bumps, and the other 10% is just bad luck when a gust of air pushes the gimbal a bit more than the rest of the drone.

The jello I experienced was when flying dead straight. This is not related to yaw movements.

I don't think this has anything to do with props or gimbal. My jello is kind of like changing channel on an old analogue TV. You know, it's super wavey for a second like its 'tuning in'. That's the best way I can explain it.
So the jello effect happen to me for the first time this weekend.

Prior to that, I was capturing a shot, landed it and instead of flying it to my next location (approximately 2 blocks away), I decided to hand carry it while the mavic was still on and when I took off from the second location, that was when I noticed the "jello" effect. I simply turned off the mavic and controller and it fixed it.

These gimbals are more sensitive than my ex girlfriend

773c04bee6e304df31f2a555f417581d.jpg
6b151f3f2cb27a7231994419217cefde.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242