DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just received the black camera housing & protection

Spanish Flyer

Reactions
Someone might have mentioned this carcass previously, but I couldn't find it in this forum..
Prior to fliying with it(just in case it gets lost or damaged, I want to include some pics for you to see.
Bought fron Hong Kong, looks like a very smooth 3D print and what surprised me most were the steel screws that fix the carcass to the MV body. They fix it so firmly that I believe it will be much harder to become lose in the event of a crash.
It is NOT a copy of the original plastic protection, but a totally redesigned housing, with a huge "mouth" that I hope it doesn't appear in the edges of any of the videos and at the same time it manages to remove some of the sun flare. (I will know when I try it):)
Is is so different that the rubberized protection the original comes with, doesn't fit any longer:(mavic camera housing 1.jpg mavic camera housing 2.jpg mavic camera housing 3.jpg

Bought it from eBay to MAK KA YUE
302 Chong Fat Bldng, 206 CHEUNG SHA
WAN RD
HONG KONG
[email protected]
And the price $28 US

Here are the mentioned pics

Interesting use of metal screws as opposed to molded tabs. Probably more durable than plastic tabs that I've seen break on some 3D printed covers just from daily use...

Regarding your comment about not coming loose in a crash... I think you'll have bigger issues to deal with in a crash ;)

I certainly agree with the principle that some form of mechanical protection is better than the 'nothing' that is provided at the moment. I am also a 'non-flyer', but reading various reports on here it seems there is a high likelihood of the camera gimbal being damaged in any 'beginners incident'. Expensive to replace if you choose to fund your own repairs.

My understanding is that the gimbal lock should be in place while the drone is being transported, and I think you are going to need very slim fingers, or a modified pair of long-nose pliers, to be able to remove and replace the gimbal lock with the guard still screwed into place.

I hadn't seen the screwed in guard, but instead went for the injection moulded version (there are also some 3D printed versions). I ended up ordering two, one of them being from a UK based supplier. Expensive, but should be here soon, Sun Glare Shade Camera Lens Hood Protective Cover Case for DJI Mavic Pro
and a back-up from the Far East, which I expect to be 3 weeks and a prayer away, Protective Cover Lens Hood Sun Shade Camera Lens Hood For DJI Mavic Pro | eBay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272552050789
I share the concern about the standard clip failing on first impact (say with a branch), and thus not providing any protection in the second and subsequent impacts as the drone falls through the tree.
I have two ideas, one is a tape hinge, across the front, where the two tabs are, and at the rear, a matchstick or similar, wedged in the V of the latch so the latch cannot open. Again, a bit of tape across the latch should hold my 'lock' in place, but not be so desperately tedious to remove when the gimbal needs locking.

All these ideas work well on the desktop :)

Regards.

Thanks for your comments; the grip of the protection is much stronger than the original plastic with tabs, but the fixture is the same principle, nothing screws to the Mavic.
The use of a carcass in my case is clearly for two very important reasons; one to avoid as much as possible the sun glare and the other is to protect the flimsy gimbal and camera from damage (again, as much as possible).
Have just come back from a 2 mile test and I can say that not having crashed, so the only thing I noticed was that I still need to trim the right hand cover a bit, since it shows very slightly when flying the craft in that direction(starboard side).
And thank you Daviss for your comments and link; it is my belief that it is better to have two or more of those protections, since we all know the Mavic has a rather rough life in most human hands...:D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka