DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just want to share my misery

skychatham

Reactions
Like many of you I ordered my Mavic when it was first available but I didn't receive it until November 27, 2016. I live in a relatively small but fast growing county and it was my plan to get my part 107 and be the first commercially licensed SUAV operator in the county. First is best right? In 2015 I was diagnosed with MS so I knew a career change was imminent, one less physical than a contractor/carpenter.
I flew the MAVIC every chance I got until early February when a tree lept from the woods and swatted my bird to the ground. I had the insurance so I just had to wait until early March before a new MAVIC was in my hand. While I waited I Busied myself by working on the website and studying for the 107. In the middle of March I passed my 107 test so I was ready to roll.
The first week of April I placed an advertisement in a small local publication for Ariel photography services and received three jobs from that. Very encouraging for such a small town. My plan was to target real estate agents and photographers for the busy spring season.
But alas, on April 12th I was T-boned on the drivers door by a driver who ignored their stop sign. We were both traveling about 60 mph. I remember the crunch of metal and the sounds of breaking glass I even remember being extracted from my truck but I do not remember the $47,000 airlift to a good hospital nor the next 15 days after that.
On May 8th I was discharged from the hospital and admitted into a rehab facility. I'm probably looking at four weeks of rehab before I'm released to go home. Currently I cannot stand up much less walk but I feel fortunate to be alive and thankful that I was wearing my seatbelt and the airbag functioned properly. More than I can say for the other driver and I feel sorry for their family.
I still read this forum everyday in order to learn as much as I can for when I can get back into the sky. If you read this post all the way through I apologize for the absolute pointlessness of it other than to get this frustrating situation of my chest little bit.
Thank you

Feel for you brother! Some one from South Carolina will be praying for you and yours and the other family involved . Hope to read about some flying experiences from you soon!

Reactions: skychatham
Congratulations on your 107. It will benefit you greatly ( I keep telling myself that ) at some point.
Hate to hear your misfortune, what doesn't kill you... right?. Hang in there, your time is coming.

****... sending strength. these hardships are going to make you a better pilot perhaps

Get well soon. Makes me think we never know what tomorrow will bring. $47k for the flight? I never knew that was that much money.

I have medical issues and know the flight price. I drove myself 2.5 hours the SECOND time. I want my commercial license for the same reason.

You know there's easier ways to get attention right? That seems like a big ordeal if all you needed was a hug. ;)

All kidding aside, glad to hear you're on your way to a speedy recovery and use the joy of drone flying as motivation to kick the crap out of your therapy! In the meantime, practice your video skills with your iPhone and post some creative bed-pan movies here. :)

All the best my friend and get well soon.

Congratulations on your 107. It will benefit you greatly ( I keep telling myself that ) at some point.
Hate to hear your misfortune, what doesn't kill you... right?. Hang in there, your time is coming.
Thanks Robert I appreciate it I guess I'm bummed because I have spent 4 to 5 months gearing up to hit the springtime market, Real estate, graduations, etc etc etc.
I live near a small town of 3000 and some really rich guy but 10,000 acres and has a development plan to bring 60,000 people to the area. There will be lots of opportunities but it sure would be nice to be the first and best known operator.
Thanks again

You know there's easier ways to get attention right? That seems like a big ordeal if all you needed was a hug. ;)

All kidding aside, glad to hear you're on your way to a speedy recovery and use the joy of drone flying as motivation to kick the crap out of your therapy! In the meantime, practice your video skills with your iPhone and post some creative bed-pan movies here. :)

Thanks for the wishes for a while I didn't need any hugs I was getting sponge baths from 20-year-old Nurse aides. A bucket list item I did not know I had. Awesome idea on using the flight simulator thank you for that

Get well soon. Makes me think we never know what tomorrow will bring. $47k for the flight? I never knew that was that much money.
I'm just glad they didn't ask for the money upfront also glad I have good insurance

Thanks Robert I appreciate it I guess I'm bummed because I have spent 4 to 5 months gearing up to hit the springtime market, Real estate, graduations, etc etc etc.
I live near a small town of 3000 and some really rich guy but 10,000 acres and has a development plan to bring 60,000 people to the area. There will be lots of opportunities but it sure would be nice to be the first and best known operator.
Thanks again
I understand the desire and benefit of being in first. But I am convinced that being "the best" is what will quickly make up for a little slow start off the line.

Please keep in mind that APPLE is not usually " The First " with anything but end up being the best. Just use your downtime to study technique. There are alot of good YT videos out there re: Video tech with Mavic.

Like many of you I ordered my Mavic when it was first available but I didn't receive it until November 27, 2016. I live in a relatively small but fast growing county and it was my plan to get my part 107 and be the first commercially licensed SUAV operator in the county. First is best right? In 2015 I was diagnosed with MS so I knew a career change was imminent, one less physical than a contractor/carpenter.
I flew the MAVIC every chance I got until early February when a tree lept from the woods and swatted my bird to the ground. I had the insurance so I just had to wait until early March before a new MAVIC was in my hand. While I waited I Busied myself by working on the website and studying for the 107. In the middle of March I passed my 107 test so I was ready to roll.
The first week of April I placed an advertisement in a small local publication for Ariel photography services and received three jobs from that. Very encouraging for such a small town. My plan was to target real estate agents and photographers for the busy spring season.
But alas, on April 12th I was T-boned on the drivers door by a driver who ignored their stop sign. We were both traveling about 60 mph. I remember the crunch of metal and the sounds of breaking glass I even remember being extracted from my truck but I do not remember the $47,000 airlift to a good hospital nor the next 15 days after that.
On May 8th I was discharged from the hospital and admitted into a rehab facility. I'm probably looking at four weeks of rehab before I'm released to go home. Currently I cannot stand up much less walk but I feel fortunate to be alive and thankful that I was wearing my seatbelt and the airbag functioned properly. More than I can say for the other driver and I feel sorry for their family.
I still read this forum everyday in order to learn as much as I can for when I can get back into the sky. If you read this post all the way through I apologize for the absolute pointlessness of it other than to get this frustrating situation of my chest little bit.
Thank you

Always good to vent!!! Get well soon and get in the air and put that part 107 to use![emoji1417]

OK, so I remember the flight simulator from when I first got my MAVIC but I can't seem to remember where that was.
I have go 4.0 end it doesn't seem to be on there or at least I cannot find it. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, thank you

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada