DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Karma vs mavic

Sal_recon26

Reactions
Is it just me or did go pro really screw up?
I mean I kinda just feel really bad about go pro. Coming out around the same time the mavic did? Man, just comparing them. Anyone who buys a karma over a mavic is just kinda, meh I won't say it. EVERY tiny little thing about the mavic just blows away the karma. I feel bad for go pro I really do. How long until they pull karma off the shelves like how 3dr pulled the solo. DJI is just completely took over the drone world. I kinda feel bad for everyone lol. I really do love my dji products tho :)

I don't feel bad for them. You want to try and break into a booming industry, you need to do your homework and find something that stands out above the competitors, and does it well. The Karma is really over a year behind, tech wise, to most of the competition.
You don't need to look far to find failed companies around the globe who waited to long to get onto the old .dot com Ferris wheel that made other companies Billions

It's crazy just watching it happen. I honestly thought the 3dr solo was gonna be something. But nope

It's necessary we have competition to DJI, if not, they don't need upgrade too much at all. Look at customer service of DJI, awful. Step by step GoPro will grow, it's good for us too.

Heck ya it's good for us!! I love it... but look at light bridge. No one is even close to getting that distance, and then BAM! ocusync comes out and doubled it! Like man!! Ya there customer service blows. But it is a helluva lot better than it was 2 years ago. And dji care is the bomb

22a10d299bb686b04f21c6e8a19b0dd9.jpg

I actually bought the Karma... then returned it back to BestBuy the other day. The range was absolutely terrible, but the RC was very nice. Also, no sensors meant I had to pretty much crash land it each time there was wind. The GoPro video quality is good, but I'm forced shooting non-4K due to linear mode. Carrying it around in that massive case was more than I expected. If I'm going to get a bigger drone, it'll be the P4P.

I had the karma for 2 weeks. Loved It. Especially the removable gimbal part. But after 2 attempted fly always, i called it quits. Returned It to Best Buy, bought the karma grip seperate and picked up the Mavic Pro. So far, love It!!!

GoPro really should have designed the Karma as an autonomous action sports follow drone like the Staaker and Airdog II. Why? Because that fits so much better with the GoPro theme and there is a strong demand for this type of drone. Just remember those huge pre-sales Lilly was able to pull off. Secondly, DJI’s Active Track and Follow modes are really weak, something GoPro could have easily exploited.

IMHO Staaker has a viable chance of establishing itself in this niche. Users here don’t want fancy fpv video feeds, 4 mile flight distances, and hours of scenic video. They want an autonomous camera drone to follow them closely while they’re mountain biking, surfing, kayaking, snowboarding, etc. Heck, I’d tell GoPro to bail on the worthless Karma, buyout the Staaker kids, and make it the type of aerial platform that GoPro cameras were always best suited for.

FWIW I owned one of the very early non-HD GoPro cameras before anyone heard of the company, and a couple of newer models since. I now own a Chinese GoPro clone (YI 4K which is every bit as good as a Hero 5, and cost me $150)

Last edited:
Forget about a follow-me drone from GoPro. They are centric to their cameras and the drone is just an accessory to them. Mavic's ActiveTrack works quite well by optical target recognition. This has the advantage over following just some target device that the camera is always positioned to keep the target centered by not just adjusting the drone's orientation but also the camera's pitch angle. The GoPro concept can not compete here as there is no image recognition software on the camera and also no way to mark a target on the remote and transmit this target into the camera.

Forget about a follow-me drone from GoPro. They are centric to their cameras and the drone is just an accessory to them. Mavic's ActiveTrack works quite well by optical target recognition. This has the advantage over following just some target device that the camera is always positioned to keep the target centered by not just adjusting the drone's orientation but also the camera's pitch angle. The GoPro concept can not compete here as there is no image recognition software on the camera and also no way to mark a target on the remote and transmit this target into the camera.
Sorry, but if you’re involved in any aggressive ”Follow” activity with rapid direction changes, limited contrast or interfering objects (tree branches, etc) Active Track falls apart quickly. Just read the endless threads about it on this forum. Even the gps based Follow drones have to play catch-up with rapid direction changes at close range. But at least they attempt to catch up. When the target image is lost its game over for the image recognition algorithms

You’re also limited to forward-sensor-on flight speeds for any of the DJI itellegent flight modes. A Follow drone like Staaker will track right up to its max air speed

Last edited:
I didn't state that ActiveTrack is a perfect solution. But following some tracking device isn't, too. At least if you want to ensure the target is always in view of the camera.

I didn't state that ActiveTrack is a perfect solution. But following some tracking device isn't, too. At least if you want to ensure the target is always in view of the camera.
Got ya, but that’s my whole point. Way too many activities out there where the target image is always lost quickly while the tracking device keeps the drone engaged. For those activities the contest isn’t even close. If you’re following something slow, contrasty, never obscured even for a second or two, and not too close or too far away, ActiveTrack is great solution

And GoPro’s were always meant for close-in wide angle POV filming of those hard to capture activities, not scenic shots from a distance.

Last edited:
For me Go Pro used the wrong camera to design a drone around in the first place as this had a direct influence on its size .....

They should have gone with the Session 5 ( or 4 as it was at the time ) this would have helped them produce something more compact.

GoPro-1521928520-HERO5_Session_315-zoom.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zantuna