DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Killing my wifi??

Draker1007

Reactions
when I turn on my mavic at home it kills my home wifi! The drone is not in wifi mode, just regular RC mode.
Our speed goes from 6.6mbps down to nothing!

Anyone know why?

Reactions: wyodirt
I personally have never seen this issue, the way I would troubleshoot it is with a wifi analyzer (you can download apps for your phone) that will show you signals in the area. Start up the app and look at the signals and then turn on Mavic while watching and see if your home Wifi disappears, if it does then there is definitely some interference but not sure what it would be.

6.6 mbps is already fairly slow for wifi as it is, maybe you need to upgrade your wifi router if it is old. Do you have strong signal strength on your wifi connection even when the speed drops?

Reactions: jerryflah
My speed is slow because I live in the county and only Internet avail is slow. It's better than the .62mbps I used to get.

It's strange because as soon as I shutdown everything returns to full speed.

If that is the case selecting a different wifi channel in your wifi router may help. Doing the test I mentioned above should show if you have a signal that is killing wifi and what channels it is affecting the most.

This is a known issue, Ocusync (communication between Mavic and remote) frequency is close to wifi frequency. The remote control might "push away" your wifi signal.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
If it's anything like lightbridge then I believe it is exactly using the same bands as WiFi...

WiFi is 2401 MHz (lower bound of channel 1) to 2473 MHz (US channel 11 upper bound) or 2483 MHz (channel 13 upper bound). According to DJI, that appears to be exactly where lightbridge operates in the 2.4ghz and the same is true for 5.8 GHz WiFi & lightbridge.

Unless DJI found some mysterious open bands to use for occusync I would imagine it's operating in the same spectrum.

I can confirm this, too. I have an Internet radio and if the Mavic and its remote are close to it the running radio transmission will get interrupted. Maybe because it is one floor different from the router. I also was not able to do a Mavic firmware update with my mobile phone connected to the home WIFI.
Meanwhile I have solved this by defining a second WIFI network on my router, running at 5.8GHz instead of 2.4GHz and connecting my mobile phone and the radio to the new network.

The Mavic bleeds a lot of energy. I am sure you have seen videos of Mavic unboxings, and as soon as they turn the Mavic on, you hear bussing in the filming camera's audio. Think about it... This thing can send HD video back from over 4 miles away! It's got a high powered, digital transmitter on board. It's gonna cause some interference, with it's multi channel transmission.

To fix the issue, you may want to put your house's wifi on a different channel, or use "auto", which will look for a frequency with low interference. Many wifi routers default to channel 6 or 11, or are set to something else. Also, it will depend on what type of wifi you are using. Are we talking about B? G? N? AC? Dual Band N+AC?

Has anybody looked at a Mavic and the controllers Tx on a Spectrum Analyzer?
I think they use WiFi channels 13-20 for communication. Given that it can do 1080P video at this extreme range and still be within FCC regulated power outputs I suspect that all data is split between two WiFI channels. As an EE and also an Amateur Radio operator I would love to see some technical data on Mavic

I switched my Asus router to Auto from Ch11, switched on the mavic and I dropped out 2mbps. A better result than totally losing wifi.
Thanks for the insight guys.

Anybody have a fix for this yet first post wish it was a better one , Just got my Mavic yesterday and am having the same prob. we also live outside the city and just last week we upgraded our WIFI system it gets the signal from a tower down the street , the signal is strong at 10mbps and the router is on 5GHz.
When the RC and the drone are turned on the WIFI signal goes to 0 until i turn the drone off then it returns immediately. We also have a prob. with the microwave interrupting the wifi Bose speaker but not as bad it doesn't take out the internet just the speaker.I read that microwaves run on 2.4 GHz

I switched my router settings on,
Wireless Mode,Control Channel and Extension Channel all to AUTO and now mine works fine.

Reactions: BIGLUG24
Ok just figured out that the Mavic was on the desk next to the Mac and after moving it away from the Mac about 6' the internet came back on, So it wasn't interrupting the WIFI just the Mac keeping the RC close doesn't seem to effect it All good now just need to keep the drone away from the computer :) Thanks

Reactions: BIGLUG24 and MLR
Just got a new mavic pro and went to do the initial firmware update. My house wifi dropped like a rock. No one could use it.
I live in a rural area so it's DSL. My router is already set to Auto for the channel and I just changed it from 20 to 40mhz. I don't know if that'll help or not.
Is there another way to update firmware then downloading it to my iPhone while the remote and quad are powered up? Is there a way for example to download it to my PC and load it from there?

Just got a new mavic pro and went to do the initial firmware update. My house wifi dropped like a rock. No one could use it.
I live in a rural area so it's DSL. My router is already set to Auto for the channel and I just changed it from 20 to 40mhz. I don't know if that'll help or not.
Is there another way to update firmware then downloading it to my iPhone while the remote and quad are powered up? Is there a way for example to download it to my PC and load it from there?

DJI Assistant 2.

Reactions: BIGLUG24
Either setup your router and mobile device for 5.8GHz Wifi or connect your mobile device to the remote by a long cable using the rear USB port to get some distance from the remote and place your mobile device near to the router, maybe 1-3m away. Then it should work.

Either setup your router and mobile device for 5.8GHz Wifi or connect your mobile device to the remote by a long cable using the rear USB port to get some distance from the remote and place your mobile device near to the router, maybe 1-3m away. Then it should work.

I'll give it a try and see if that works. I wish I could figure out what wifi channels the mavic is using so I could set my router to use a different 1.

Thanks for the suggestion

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradl