DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing on Snow

Kalvik

Reactions
I expect to do quite a lot of T/O and landings on snow. Now, to be clear, this is hard, arctic snow that the Mavic's legs probably won't sink in more than a half-inch or so. And my flying will be done in warmish temperatures (-10C or warmer) so the snow will not be loose enough to kick up onto the camera or gimbal.

That said, will the Mavic have trouble with recording the home point on take-off, or landing back on that same spot, given that the surface has no features or contrasting colours? Should I at least provide some dark, flat object for the Mavik to recognize?

And another question, will an ND32 filter be enough on a very bright, snow-covered surface?

Thanks.

Reactions: jc84
I've used ND 32 and less in Iceland with good result on snow and Ice on sunny days, when possible I try and shoot prior to
when the sun is high in the sky and can often get away with no filter at all...shooting ISO 100.

Reactions: Kalvik and Keule
The colours of ice and men is a great combination and your shots pay them full hommage

I expect to do quite a lot of T/O and landings on snow. Now, to be clear, this is hard, arctic snow that the Mavic's legs probably won't sink in more than a half-inch or so. And my flying will be done in warmish temperatures (-10C or warmer) so the snow will not be loose enough to kick up onto the camera or gimbal.

That said, will the Mavic have trouble with recording the home point on take-off, or landing back on that same spot, given that the surface has no features or contrasting colours? Should I at least provide some dark, flat object for the Mavik to recognize?

And another question, will an ND32 filter be enough on a very bright, snow-covered surface?

Thanks.

I'd recommend getting one of those foldable landing pads. Theyre about $15 and have a dark and orange colored side.

Landing Pad Helipad Foldable Portable Waterproof for DJI Phantom 4 3 Mavic Pro | eBay

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair