DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing Pad help

Drono_photography

Reactions
Hi Flyers,

I'm thinking of having a landing pad printed on vinyl banner material with my logo on, but I'm not too sure if the Mavic would auto land on it or not?

I know as it takes off, it takes a picture of where it took off from so it can land within an inch of that spot, but is there a certain pattern or anything I'd need to be wary of before designing a pad?

High Contrast (Black and White) should work. Without any in the wild, hard to know. May want to wait until you have yours and test with poster board first.

You are going to need to weight down that banner material with something or the prop wash will blow it around, but I'm sure you thought of that. I tried waterproof fiberboard from the hobby shop, scored it on center both directions then used gorilla tape to cover the scores, Now it folds nicely but I will have to wait and see if it will stay put before I go to the trouble of painting LZ markings on it.

High Contrast (Black and White) should work. Without any in the wild, hard to know. May want to wait until you have yours and test with poster board first.
I think a standard set of compass rows as used in the Military would be perfect.

Cheers guys!

Really helpful advice.

The banner comes with eyelets in it to peg down which is handy.

Just need the thing to turn up now! I've got everything but the drone! Lol

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Beyond that, without a frame or something to tie down the vinyl, I can see it roll up and move away on its own. Maybe add a hole in each corner with grommets and get some tent pegs to fasten it down.

OR

Get a photo white/grey card and get the logo (in high contrast) screen-printed on it. Someone linked one on another post that unfolded to 32" and folded to less than 12". Plenty big and has a rigid frame and tough fabric.

OP - You posted as I hit submit.

How about a piece of thin mat (think carpet-type runner) - should be heavy enough at about 2-3 feet square and with a light coat of spray paint + "H" or "+". Just thinking is fairly portable if you don't want to spend the $$ and use the car etc......

How about a piece of thin mat (think carpet-type runner) - should be heavy enough at about 2-3 feet square and with a light coat of spray paint + "H" or "+". Just thinking is fairly portable if you don't want to spend the $$ and use the car etc......
You mean like this...? Maybe not

That looks great, but I think its too small. DJI says it lands within an inch, but I've been reading that real world is more like 1 foot.
Thanks! What you see in the picture was just a prototype on a small mat. The actually size is 45cm x 45cm.

What did you use to make it?

It has a 5mm non slip rubber base (for softer landing) with a fabric surface which I can print directly onto. Inks are waterproof so it doesnt matter if it gets wet.
Can be rolled up for storage and it unravels perfectly flat.

You ought to make and sell these, I would buy one for sure, even though I used your other pattern and am having a heavy duty vinyl one made.

I'd be interested in having one printed with my design on it. What do you think something like this would cost?

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11