DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing Pads

Excuse my ignorance, what is the point of the landing pad? Is it just when you are taking off/landing on uneven surfaces or grass and sand? Yes I read the manual

I've never used one but am considering the Hoodman 3ft pad for when I'm taking off on surfaces such as snow or sand which I don't want blown up into the motors or gimbal/camera assembly.

I'd imagine it would also be helpful when I'm out in the field away from perfectly manicured yards, I don't use leg extensions and don't have the desire to use my $1000 flying camera as a weedwacker.

View attachment 7639 I have this FlatHat drone pad. Got it on Amazon a few months ago, it was around $30

I've read reports somewhere on this forum or maybe it was one of the Facebook groups that this particular model was causing issues with landing. It was suspected that the pattern in the design was throwing off the down facing imaging system. Any issue with yours?

I've read reports somewhere on this forum or maybe it was one of the Facebook groups that this particular model was causing issues with landing. It was suspected that the pattern in the design was throwing off the down facing imaging system. Any issue with yours?

I've also read that . I did get the "unsafe landing area" alert , likely as a result of my take-off method. I was taking off manually ; meaning - I was firing up the motors and just taking off after receiving the "homepoint recorded" message. Then proceeding to return and (attempt to) land manually .

Now when I take-off either manually or automatically from the pad, I let the craft hover for a few seconds to "gather" the needed data to store the image . My Mavic now lands gently on the pad each and every time.

Reactions: DavidNDC
I have that same one pictured. I like it alot. Folds up easy and snaps right when removed. Works perfect with precision landing.

Excuse my ignorance, what is the point of the landing pad? Is it just when you are taking off/landing on uneven surfaces or grass and sand? Yes I read the manual

Launch/Landing pads help prevent particles from kicking up into the drone components, especially the camera. You could make due with home remedied mats and such. I own a Hoodman 3 foot pad. It's a luxury item in my opinion.

On the occasions when I've wanted to use a landing/takeoff pad, I just grab one of the big, brightly colored, interlocking foam rubber mats I have leftover in my garage from the days when my daughter was a baby/toddler. Works just fine.

Reactions: Scapegoat
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It separates the drone from any loose sand/dust on the ground which blows all over the place on takeoff. This is a possible issue by possibly getting crud on the camera's lens.

Reactions: zebrock
On the occasions when I've wanted to use a landing/takeoff pad, I just grab one of the big, brightly colored, interlocking foam rubber mats I have leftover in my garage from the days when my daughter was a baby/toddler. Works just fine.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

I use those too, and they're great! The only glitch is that they are not very portable (don't fold or pack up)

I bought the Flathead it cost me $60 I'm happy with it but you can find cheaper alternatives.

Reactions: andyro
I use those too, and they're great! The only glitch is that they are not very portable (don't fold or pack up)

I happen to have some extra 2 ft by 2 ft Interlocking Utility Mats. Indeed they aren't foldable, but I cut them into four squares. This makes them a bit easier to pack. They are still bulky. In use I interlock them to create another 2ft. by 2 ft. square.

First image is as it would have appeared before being cut.

Landing_Pad_01.jpg

More manageable size. Approximately 1 ft by 1 ft by 1.5 inches

Landing_Pad_03.jpg Landing_Pad_04.jpg

Interlocked for use. Ready for creative design.

Landing_Pad_02.jpg

Apart from keeping debris from entering the fans (and hurting the electronics), I think it also helps the downward cameras to establish the landing point.

Now, has anyone used one on a beach? With wind? I'm wondering if the wind will pick it up and damage the drone.

Here's what I am thinking of buying: Landing Pad Helipad Waterproof Foldable Portable for DJI Phantom 4 3 Mavic Pro | eBay

Reactions: steve masterman
I've tried folding landing pad on beach, but unless you anchor it down with lots of pegs not much use. Even worse where there is only slightly long grass, as they indent the landing pad making it very uneven. Found taking a rubber foot mat out of car much more useful, always have it with you! (and much more effective in grass)
And recently started using leg extensions, take off from the damp sand, or grass on the side of the beach, or random flattish rock, no problems encountered, mavic clears everything well, and much less to carry around!
So it seems my days of carrying a landing pad are over for now.

IMG_1166.JPG
Heavy rubber car mat, sorted. Rolls up.

Thanks for your great tip, HeavensAbove. I snagged a heavy-duty rubber floormat with a sharp, high-contrast logo for homing. Handles gusts, edges do not flap in the wind, measures 17½" x 13½" and rolls up snugly. $12 at my neighborhood O'Reilly Auto Parts with no online shopping angst, shipping costs, UPS, blah, blah, blah. Mavic hasn't missed this home base yet.
★★★★★

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rodcast and LaaLaa
I bought a landing pad a few months back. Looks to be the same one that you have a pic of. Was fairly cheap (I think around 18$). Anyway - I was in Cancun and decided to use it for taking off at the beach. It was fairly windy (maybe around 15-20 mph winds). The landing pad has spikes that you put through nylon loops to better secure it to the ground. Anyway - the spikes didn't help what so ever. The darn thing started to blow away in the wind. To make it even more rediculous - since it is basically a nylon round disk - when the wind gets under it the wind can really push it pretty far / fast. I chased that **** thing for like 10 minutes before I could get it! I haven't tried to use it since - I would say don't bother and just be careful where you are landing. Even at the beach - there is usually some place solid to take off / land.

Reactions: M4RK
I bought a landing pad a few months back. Looks to be the same one that you have a pic of. Was fairly cheap (I think around 18$). Anyway - I was in Cancun and decided to use it for taking off at the beach. It was fairly windy (maybe around 15-20 mph winds). The landing pad has spikes that you put through nylon loops to better secure it to the ground. Anyway - the spikes didn't help what so ever. The darn thing started to blow away in the wind. To make it even more rediculous - since it is basically a nylon round disk - when the wind gets under it the wind can really push it pretty far / fast. I chased that **** thing for like 10 minutes before I could get it! I haven't tried to use it since - I would say don't bother and just be careful where you are landing. Even at the beach - there is usually some place solid to take off / land.
I must admit I was thinking of one of these myself as I'll be flying from grass that could interfere with stuff and don't want undercarriage extensions (despite what my wide says.....) but the thought of running around after a big Frizbee isn't the look I was going for.
Car mat - brilliant!

Reactions: M4RK
I have a landing pad myself, since we always do not have the most ideal ground conditions and don't want to destroy the prop before lift off

Has anyone bought one of the cheapish landing pads off eBay? If so, are they any good? I think they'd be useful at places like the beach...but just want to see if anyone has one and what they think of it. Thanks guys!

ebc8b2a1a0256a1f52120fec1d4e0fe9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920I using MavicPilots mobile app

I have the orange one. Love it!!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent