DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing platform B/W or colour?

arachnida

Reactions
Hello,

Are the downward looking cameras B/W or colour, in other words does it make sense to make a landing platform in colour or will a high contrast B/W non symetrical pattern do a better job?

Cheers

will a high contrast B/W non symetrical pattern do a better job?
Any kind of high contrast non-repeating pattern should work well. For example:

416I1l4TS+L.jpg

Per the Mavic manual, you'll also want to keep the following in mind:

Manual.png

The manual states, under "Using the downward Vision System":

"Note that the Downward Vision System cannot work properly on surfaces without a clear pattern variations".

The mention of "patterns" and the absence of a mention of "colors" give a clue as to what to get.

MK

Thanks for your answers. Most of the commercial available landing platforms are quite symmetrical, not a really good idea.

OT: In Belgium around this time of the year the sun sits quite low at the horizon. I noticed that the front cameras used for obstacle avoidance are blinded by the sun and made the Mavic think there was an object close in front of the Mavic. So I will go for a not too reflective material or colour on the landing platform as I don't want the cameras to be blinded during summer.

Last edited:
Most of the commercial available landing platforms are quite symetrical, not a really good idea.
A symmetrical pattern is fine as long as it does not repeat like this one:

RepeatingPattern.jpg

I have on of those "H" foldable circles on the way. I think I will add some variable patterns with electrical adhesive tape in the 4 defined circle quadrants to further help the DVS.

MK

@MK, I was thinking about doing the same, great idea. I want one that can be fixed to the ground using tent pins for two obvious reasons. First I don't wat the platform to move by the prop wash and second in tall grass I noticed that using a thick plastic table cloth alone wasn't good enough to get the bumps out of the landing surface. The front mavic landing gear pushed the cloth down and the gimbal touched the ground.

Cameras give a black and white image during calibration.

I have high speed imaging equipment at work, and for improved edge/pattern detection greyscale is better.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada