DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing Protection any reason I want this on?

ckizer

Reactions
If I disable landing protection I'll be able to hand catch my drone without hassle and force it to land when I push the sticks down. What exactly would I be giving up or losing?

I'm unclear on this feature honestly.

At least right now with the current firmware I think there is no big reason to have it turned on. It might give some protection to someone flying too close to an object below but that is far outweighed by the forced auto-land related crashes and losses.

Mavic still lands nice and soft without it being on. As long as one is paying close attention to having a good landing site there should be no issues.

Reactions: lekrantz
IMHO, the advantages of leaving LP OFF outweigh leaving it on. Much more control and no delay all the way to the ground when turned off. Even if touched down, you can still immediately take off so long as your props haven't stopped. (Stopped by holding stick down after landing )With .05 and the latest FW, it also allows you to abort Autoland once started...a major safety advantage.

By turning ON LP, you are only gaining the final safety confirmation at 0.5 meters before landing

Last edited:
Are you talking about the Enable Vision Positioning switch?

I could imagine (not tried yet) that Landing Protection might be helpful when flying close above water. It should protect the Mavic from landing on water unintentionally as long as you don't force it by permanently lowering the throttle stick.

I could imagine (not tried yet) that Landing Protection might be helpful when flying close above water. It should protect the Mavic from landing on water unintentionally as long as you don't force it by permanently lowering the throttle stick.
Unfortunately not, the Mavic has other problems over water, with downward VPS on as well. Landing protection you don't want on, exspecially over water, if the downward VPS gets confused the AC will go into autoland and will become a submarine before u can save it.

in all other ways landing protection is not needed unless you are landing it out of sight, which is another very bad idea.

Turn it off leave it off

Unfortunately not, the Mavic has other problems over water, with downward VPS on as well. Landing protection you don't want on, exspecially over water, if the downward VPS gets confused the AC will go into autoland and will become a submarine before u can save it.

in all other ways landing protection is not needed unless you are landing it out of sight, which is another very bad idea.

Turn it off leave it off
Yep....even with LP off, you want to leave yourself a few seconds to react with up throttle just in case your Mavic attempts to take a swim, because the VPS is fooled into an autoland. You could still turn off VPS but it will be less stable when near the ground, and will make a harder landing.

Turn it off leave it off
where do you shut it off, i want to do low water shots......help please

DJI-GO-Landing-Protection.jpg

If I disable landing protection I'll be able to hand catch my drone without hassle and force it to land when I push the sticks down. What exactly would I be giving up or losing?

I'm unclear on this feature honestly.

You can still hand catch with it on. The quad will try to avoid landing on your hand by rising up about a foot and then coming back down. You need to keep the stick down the entire time until the quad lands a second time and props stop spinning. If you let go of the stick before the props stop spinning it will rise again.

With .05 and the latest FW, it also allows you to abort Autoland once started...a major safety advantage.

Some are reporting that the latest firmware has a bug where you can't throttle up to prevent it landing and the cancel button doesn't work when auto-land is initiated by holding down the left stick. The only thing you can do to abort the auto-land in this case is to toggle the Sport mode switch which will cancel it immediately regardless if you're in Sport mode or P mode. Here's a YouTube video about it: DJI Mavic Pro - How to Abort an Auto Landing in v01.03.0500

Yep....even with LP off, you want to leave yourself a few seconds to react with up throttle just in case your Mavic attempts to take a swim, because the VPS is fooled into an autoland. You could still turn off VPS but it will be less stable when near the ground, and will make a harder landing.

That up throttle apparently won't save you with the latest firmware as per the above noted bug. If you find yourself in this situation the safest bet would be to toggle the Sport mode switch because we know this to be reliable in all cases.

Last edited:
That up throttle apparently won't save you with the latest firmware as per the above noted bug.
You can exit forced landing mode by throttling up in firmware 1.3.0600.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242