DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing/taking off from a slope.

Pedro

Reactions
Sorry if this is noob question but will the Mavic land/take off from a slope, in the absence of a flat piece of ground?

Other flight controllers I've used hate slopes, for obvious reasons. :)

Thanks.

It will but you have to be careful with the propellers so low to the ground. I would try to find a flat surface if at all possible or if worst case hand launch it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pedro
The rear props are so close to the ground that it would not take much of a slope for a blade strike to occur, with potential blade damage. In this case I always hand catch, with a Phantom it was easy and safe, with the Mavic is is harder and requires a certain procedure. I find that if I position the Mavic just above my head with its side facing me and then flip off vision position sensing, that way it doesn't try to avoid my hand, reach up an grasp the Mavic from the side just behind the gimbal with your thumb and index finger using your others fingers as support it is very easy to hand catch. Here is a couple quick photos to demonstrate.
Back.JPG Front.jpg

Reactions: Pedro
There was a thread about a guy crash landed his mavic on the roof and it wouldn't take off cause it was complaining about a steep slope... So it may complain depending in where you are I guess~

However I would always hand launch and catch as I've been dealing with a lot of snow on the ground now :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

The rear props are so close to the ground that it would not take much of a slope for a blade strike to occur, with potential blade damage. In this case I always hand catch, with a Phantom it was easy and safe, with the Mavic is is harder and requires a certain procedure. I find that if I position the Mavic just above my head with its side facing me and then flip off vision position sensing, that way it doesn't try to avoid my hand, reach up an grasp the Mavic from the side just behind the gimbal with your thumb and index finger using your others fingers as support it is very easy to hand catch. Here is a couple quick photos to demonstrate.
View attachment 2718 View attachment 2719

Rise your hand slowly from below it until you see the mavic rise (to avoid it). Then press control stick down and it will lower to your hand as if to land on the ground. No problems with forward detection in this case, and no need to turn off VPS

I use the method mentioned by sixxus above for hand catching and it works great. For hand launching I just set the MP in my hand and hold it above my head, then with the other hand I press auto takeoff on the controller. Sliding the confirmation slider one handed while wearing touch sensitive gloves can be a little tricky. Think I will add a neck strap to make it easier.
With all the snow and uneven ground where I fly, I exclusively hand launch and land. It is very easy to do. Was only scary the first time I tried it.

Reactions: sixxus
I use the method mentioned by sixxus above for hand catching and it works great. For hand launching I just set the MP in my hand and hold it above my head, then with the other hand I press auto takeoff on the controller. Sliding the confirmation slider one handed while wearing touch sensitive gloves can be a little tricky. Think I will add a neck strap to make it easier.
With all the snow and uneven ground where I fly, I exclusively hand launch and land. It is very easy to do. Was only scary the first time I tried it.

I use my nose to swipe the slider, it's pretty straightforward after a couple tries

I agreed to hand launch and land due to snow here. It was nerve racking the first few times but now its second nature. I do wish the drone would reduce the amount of time the props spin crazily prior to landing. Its like you need to hold on tight for a few seconds as it lands haha

Rise your hand slowly from below it until you see the mavic rise (to avoid it). Then press control stick down and it will lower to your hand as if to land on the ground. No problems with forward detection in this case, and no need to turn off VPS

Not a fan of this method. I don't want the Mavic coming towards me in case you don't get a grip on the catch. I feel safer turning off the downward positioning sensors and floating it at nice catching height. This way you can take your time and get a good grip on the Mavic before holding the down stick to power down the props.

I prefer a better grip than 2 fingers provide, and using the left stick to lower it into your hand is just asking for trouble IMHO. Turning off VPS (downward sensors) is just a click away and allows you to use your palm to rest the bird on without the possibility of it moving around due to the VPS seeing your hand as the ground. To each there own.

I prefer a better grip than 2 fingers provide, and using the left stick to lower it into your hand is just asking for trouble IMHO. Turning off VPS (downward sensors) is just a click away and allows you to use your palm to rest the bird on without the possibility of it moving around due to the VPS seeing your hand as the ground. To each there own.
Yep, more than one way to skin a cat. Most important thing is to do it the way that you are most comfortable with.

I use my nose to swipe the slider, it's pretty straightforward after a couple tries
Used the nose method to swipe the slider on hand launching the other day, looks silly, but works great. ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000