DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing to a new location at a long distance from home point

i've seen it .. but was talking more of a lost connection scenario which means 13km aprox. distance at full speed and fully automatic flight path ... like delivering a pizza!!

I dont see any issue with having Litchi land at a remote location, provide you are satisfied it is a safe spot to land..
It allows you to reset the home point to anywhere you like. It is not restricted to Aircraft or RC position as is the case with DJIGo. So you can easily change the home point to the remote landing site KMs away. Therefore you would not actually need signal over landing site.

"Point is would the landing sensors slow down the mavic so not to hit the ground at high speed as at that distance it is difficult to judge height."
The sensors are autonomous and will work just as well having it land 10 feet or 10km away.

I routinely have Litchi autoland at the end of an 11km route. This is not dependent on signal connection or home point which is elsewhere albeit nearby in my case.

For a one way route with Litchi,you could simply set the finish action to Land at last WPT (as I do) and move the home point to the final Wpt/ remote Landing site once underway to prevent it flying back original home point on low battery.

Wow.....Best post in recent memory....especially since it's not a theory, you've done it…

Check Litchi waypoint mission settings. You could choose RTH, Land, hovering(none) or reverse:
d62ad3ce57307bbfa8f55973784bbd9d.jpg

So long as it is safely done I like the idea, but..
As a test done once or twice it's risky at best. As a routine mission your odds of the drone not returning and being trashed go up significantly with each flight. If you succeeded 10 times without failure I would be impressed.

Rob

I wouldn't perform this with my own Mavic but I've definitely thought of how cool it would be to send a Mavic back and forth with a friend on a one-way waypoint mission, say 12km, out of range of the controller. I guess it would be almost as cool without losing range too, but I like the Transatlanticness of it.

As for whether it would work, I think you could do it in a much safer test by setting it on a very short mission (all in view) then putting the controller in a metal box to kill the signal. See how it behaves. It should behave the same way on a long mission when you go out of range.

Also, if you wanted to do the long mission and still maintain radio connection, you could have someone drive you and follow the drone within range while you pilot it.

But I don´t understand the issue. With Litchi you set last point as landing and that´s it. Once it has landed....it will be waiting there...won´t it?

Has anyone tried to land the mavic pro to a new location say about 7-8km away from home point and from the remote controller of course?
Point is would the landing sensors slow down the mavic so not to hit the ground at high speed as at that distance it is difficult to judge height.

Also i was wandering with Litchi app as i use it a lot if anyone has tried a 12-13km mission one way to a landing sight with no connection to the remote controller, as its possible with litchi to fly missions without the mavic starting the RTH whenever the signal is lost .. which means it would go on its mission untill all the waypoints are finished or it runs out of batterie.

I like this guy's videos. He's always trying crap out including long distance landings. Two videos, at least.

He does use range extenders on his RC. So there's that.

This is with the P4 but you'll get the idea.

Who here wants to try a Litchi one way waypoint mission with the Mavic and have someone at the landing spots to do a quick battery change and send it along it's way via a new mission ? Should be able to keep it going with two remotes bound to it and keep leap frogging it with the remote that is not in use . Probably a way to keep it going with one long waypoint mission with the extra battery mods by just swapping the piggyback batteries if we can figure out how to keep the main intelligent battery from going into low voltage shutdown . We could do a world record cross country Mavic flight . All within VLOS of course ;)

But I don´t understand the issue. With Litchi you set last point as landing and that´s it. Once it has landed....it will be waiting there...won´t it?
Yes, that's correct. I guess others are looking for non Litchi solutions.

Reactions: dlopezjurado
I dont see any issue with having Litchi land at a remote location, provide you are satisfied it is a safe spot to land..
It allows you to reset the home point to anywhere you like. It is not restricted to Aircraft or RC position as is the case with DJIGo. So you can easily change the home point to the remote landing site KMs away. Therefore you would not actually need signal over landing site.

"Point is would the landing sensors slow down the mavic so not to hit the ground at high speed as at that distance it is difficult to judge height."
The sensors are autonomous and will work just as well having it land 10 feet or 10km away.

I routinely have Litchi autoland at the end of an 11km route. This is not dependent on signal connection or home point which is elsewhere albeit nearby in my case.

For a one way route with Litchi,you could simply set the finish action to Land at last WPT (as I do) and move the home point to the final Wpt/ remote Landing site once underway to prevent it flying back original home point on low battery.
Hey, this is exactly the solution I have been trying to figure out... I will be using this on Litchi one way missions... the mission I am working on is 2,590 meters (8,500 ft) Thanks!!!

Hey, in one of your postings you said: "For a one way route with Litchi, you could simply set the finish action to Land at last WPT (as I do) and move the home point to the final Wpt/ remote Landing site once underway to prevent it flying back original home point on low battery. " the mission I am working on, (approx 13,800 ft - 4.2KM) start to finish) I have the quad at the last waypoint and program set to Land in the "Finish Action" settings.. My take off position is midway between waypoint 1, which is my Home Point and waypoint 56. I likely will lose connection quad to controller at #56. Are you saying to move the Home Point after the mission begins? If so, how?

...Are you saying to move the Home Point after the mission begins? If so, how?

If you are flying, you can long-press the Home Point icon an drag it to a new location, thereby establishing a new home Point. (excerpt from Litchi manual)

You do not need to move it due to risk of loss of signal because Litchi can deal with that.
You may need to move it to prevent low battery RTH. On a long mission that flies far enough away from the take off point the Mavic firmware will calculate it has reached this point of no return will override the Litchi mission. Your mission is only 4km long, so I doubt low battery RTH will trigger unless you are flying really slowly. But if you are worried about the battery getting to this point, simply drag the Home point from it initial position (where you took off) to the last WPT and that is where it will head to, if it runs low on battery before the mission completes.

Who here wants to try a Litchi one way waypoint mission with the Mavic and have someone at the landing spots to do a quick battery change and send it along it's way via a new mission ? Should be able to keep it going with two remotes bound to it and keep leap frogging it with the remote that is not in use . Probably a way to keep it going with one long waypoint mission with the extra battery mods by just swapping the piggyback batteries if we can figure out how to keep the main intelligent battery from going into low voltage shutdown . We could do a world record cross country Mavic flight . All within VLOS of course ;)
Not me.[emoji12]

I lamded mine safely 3km from me, but as soon as it touched down, it stopped transmitting video and I was unable to control it. A quick drive to the area by a friend found it exactly where landed it, safe and sound.

My guess is the ground interrupted the signal and communication was thus lost.

If you are flying, you can long-press the Home Point icon an drag it to a new location, thereby establishing a new home Point. (excerpt from Litchi manual)

You do not need to move it due to risk of loss of signal because Litchi can deal with that.
You may need to move it to prevent low battery RTH. On a long mission that flies far enough away from the take off point the Mavic firmware will calculate it has reached this point of no return will override the Litchi mission. Your mission is only 4km long, so I doubt low battery RTH will trigger unless you are flying really slowly. But if you are worried about the battery getting to this point, simply drag the Home point from it initial position (where you took off) to the last WPT and that is where it will head to, if it runs low on battery before the mission completes.
Thank You, the Mavic Pro is impressive.. a young 79 yr old pilot having a ball...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e