DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Las Vegas Red Rock Canyon area

Shame on you 300' into restricted air space. You could have taken down that jet you didnt notice.
Jokes aside great photo man.

Thanks and glad you like them. I was a little nervous the ranger was going to see me but it was a quick flight to get the pictures. But I am still waiting for the pitch fork mobs... lol!!

Reactions: FPVJunkie
Gorgeous pics man! First time at Red Rock with the Mavic? Do the rangers usually just ask you to leave, or wonder if they would fine you? I get the nuisance that drones might cause due to the noise, but it's a shame we can't enjoy taking awesome pictures like this without being harassed.

I've flown out there twice. No one, including a Ranger, has bothered me yet. But I'm trying to be aware of the area and try to fly as responsible as possible. I won't fly in or too close to the scenic loop but with all places to fly out there I'm Ok with it. I typically fly in the south part of the park near the Blue Diamond.

Reactions: bluezdawg
Some super awesome pics. One might rethink admitting to flying where the FAA "feels adversely" about... but hey you're only breaking the FAA's not so legally binding opinions, if you get caught. Que pitchforks, tar and feathers, etc...

Reactions: Mevans010
There is no problem flying camera equipped quad copters into the park. The only restriction is from launching and landing UAVs from within specific areas of the park. The borders for what constitutes these areas are clearly outlined in readily available maps.
The scenery is absolutely beautiful and the opportunities for amazing photography are limitless. And it's completely legal!

From the Red Rock Canyon website:

"visitors can fly drones for recreational purposes at Red Rock Canyon. Drones must be registered through the Federal Aviation Administration before flying them. Please do not disturb wildlife or visitors while flying your drone.
Visitors are prohibited from launching and landing drones and other unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) in Red Rock Canyon’s Wilderness Areas (La Madre Wilderness Area & Rainbow Wilderness Area)."

Reactions: dv8ed
Trying to find the federal statute but roads and the easments adjacent to them to a certain measured FT length are public use guaranteed. Which would extend to drone use. Roads go thru National Parks... fly from the road, get better shots, etc...

Trying to find the federal statute but roads and the easments adjacent to them to a certain measured FT length are public use guaranteed. Which would extend to drone use. Roads go thru National Parks... fly from the road, get better shots, etc...

I was wondering about this too. Does anyone else have a more informed opinion on the legality of this. From what i gather national parks are a no fly zone below a specific altitude for aircraft i dont know how this would apply to drones.

AIM 7-4-6, “Flights Over Charted U.S. Wildlife Refuges, Parks, and Forest Service Areas” reads, in part:
Pilots are requested to maintain a minimum altitude of 2,000 feet above the surface of the following: National Parks, Monuments, Seashores, Lakeshores, Recreation Areas and Scenic Riverways administered by the National Park Service, National Wildlife Refuges, Big Game Refuges, Game Ranges and Wildlife Ranges administered by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and Wilderness and Primitive areas administered by the U.S. Forest Service.

FAA Advisory Circular AC91-36 defines the surface of a National Park area as: the highest terrain within 2,000 feet laterally of the route of flight, or the upper-most rim of a canyon or valley. Simply stated, find the highest ground on your flight path and add 2,000 feet to your cruising altitude.

IMG_0658.JPG

Red Rock is administered by the Bureau of Land Management. They had prohibited drone flights in the past - and it says it's prohibited on the map they handed me today - but I was assured by both their web site and the personnel in the Visitor's Center that it is NOT prohibited. The woman I spoke to even suggested some areas for good drone footage and photography.

Here's some of my shots from today. I'll be there tomorrow and Monday as well. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0656.JPG
    IMG_0656.JPG
    597.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0657.JPG
    IMG_0657.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 61
Yes, visitors can fly drones for recreational purposes at Red Rock Canyon. Drones must be registered through the Federal Aviation Administration before flying them. Please do not disturb wildlife or visitors while flying your drone.

Visitors are prohibited from launching and landing drones and other unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) in Red Rock Canyon’s Wilderness Areas (La Madre Wilderness Area & Rainbow Wilderness Area).

The Las Vegas Soaring Club also has flying space nearby. To find out more information, please visit www.lvsoaringclub.org

Reactions: bluezdawg
Yes, visitors can fly drones for recreational purposes at Red Rock Canyon. Drones must be registered through the Federal Aviation Administration before flying them. Please do not disturb wildlife or visitors while flying your drone.

Visitors are prohibited from launching and landing drones and other unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) in Red Rock Canyon’s Wilderness Areas (La Madre Wilderness Area & Rainbow Wilderness Area).

The Las Vegas Soaring Club also has flying space nearby. To find out more information, please visit www.lvsoaringclub.org

So you are saying that the Drone Pilot must take off outside the park and flying within the park and then land outside the park. Fortunately the main road is still close to beautiful landscape. Unfortunately Valley of Fire is a little more difficult!

I've flown out there twice. No one, including a Ranger, has bothered me yet. But I'm trying to be aware of the area and try to fly as responsible as possible. I won't fly in or too close to the scenic loop but with all places to fly out there I'm Ok with it. I typically fly in the south part of the park near the Blue Diamond.
Hey, I am heading out tomorrow...exactly where in the park is best place to fly. Please be specific as I don’t know the area and have limited time.

Thanks

Hey, I am heading out tomorrow...exactly where in the park is best place to fly. Please be specific as I don’t know the area and have limited time.

Thanks
Technically your not supposed to take off or land from inside the conservation area but you can fly over it. It even says so on their website. Just before the entrance, there’s a RC field to the right of the road but unless you have permission from them, they don’t like you using their space without being a member. I asked them once and they said yes. You can give that a try. If not there’s a parking area on the other side of the road as you head to the camp sites. Either one gives you good access and line of sight to the rocks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N