DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Learned a lesson about magnetic interference yesterday.

jarettp

Reactions
Do not take off if your drone is showing magnetic interference. It started drifting like crazy. It took every bit of piloting skill I had to get it back down on the ground without it going either in the nearby street to one side of me or the river on the other side of me. I ended up putting it into a concrete barrier about a foot off the ground for safety reasons as I couldn't wait for it to do the pre landing hover. Honestly I would generally never have taken off in the first place but I was getting conflicting information. My controller told me everything was fine but the app said there was magnetic interference. I tend to trust the controller over the app but not anymore. In the end I only broke a few props but it could have been much worse. Don't let it happen to you.

Think about it: The sensors are the aircraft's eyes and ears. When there's interference, it's not too far off to compare it to a person drunk and hallucinating.

Think about it: The sensors are the aircraft's eyes and ears. When there's interference, it's not too far off to compare it to a person drunk and hallucinating.
Oh I'm aware. The issue here is more with me not trusting the app. The app has shown disconnected before while everything else was working fine.

Reactions: digdat0
Oh I'm aware. The issue here is more with me not trusting the app. The app has shown disconnected before while everything else was working fine.
Fair point.

I'd add to that that, personally, I'm unaware of any reports ever on GO 4 regarding false warnings about sensor issues.

That doesn't mean there isn't a bug buried in there somewhere that might show up, or be introduced in a new version. Still, I'm pretty confident you can trust at least that bit of functionality in GO4... After all, the software logic behind such indicators is pretty basic and hard to screw up.

Fair point.

I'd add to that that, personally, I'm unaware of any reports ever on GO 4 regarding false warnings about sensor issues.

That doesn't mean there isn't a bug buried in there somewhere that might show up, or be introduced in a new version. Still, I'm pretty confident you can trust at least that bit of functionality in GO4... After all, the software logic behind such indicators is pretty basic and hard to screw up.
If that's the case, why didn't the controller show Mag Interference? But I see your point and will err on the side of caution in the future.

If that's the case, why didn't the controller show Mag Interference? But I see your point and will err on the side of caution in the future.
Bug in the RC firmware? Who knows.

Regardless, GO4 was warning you, and it sounds like based on the aircraft's behavior, it was right.

Personally, I wouldn't fly if I got a warning from any source (GO4, RC, Litchi, my wife), until I got to the bottom of it, or it solidly went away (that one's toughest with the wife). JMO.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000