DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LED's effect on battery, flight time

Kate

Reactions
Does anyone know how much power the LED's consume compared to the engines?

If you turned them off, theoretically how much flight time would you gain?

i assure you im not bored posting, im genuinely interested how much power modern LEDS use.
thankyou

------------------------------------------------
- I left my Mavic in El Segundo!

a single led is usually 1watt I'm not sure exactly on the Mavic but I'm sure the flight time gained as a result of not using them would just be a matter of seconds

Reactions: dewster
Not a scientific calculation but... considering that they could probably run for days if they were the only load, I'm thinking it would gain you less than a few seconds. if even that.

LEDs use milliwatts of power. They're usage is negligible. Let's do some math. Let's assume the current drawn from the battery when flying is 10A, and we know we use 12V of power. That's 120W of power being user. Let's assume the LED is limited to 10mA of current at 12V. That's 0.12W of power times two being 0.24W of power. So the additional power draw in relation to flying without them is 0.2%. Now let's take a flight time of 25 minutes, reserving the last two for critical landing. we have an 0.2% increase power usage with added LEDs, if we reverse the relations, we actually have 99.8% of the time for flight with LEDs on. If we do the math, you lose 3 seconds of flight. Your flight would be 24:57 minutes long instead of 25 minutes. That's quite negligible.

EDIT: I did my math wrong. I have corrected it.

Reactions: Rabid Machina
Good ol LEDS. Makes you wonder why they ditched them in the 80's for lcds, or halogen.
Thanks for the math btw. You could have gotten away with the bad math, with me anyway ;)

I should have mentioned the light at the back too.
I put some duct tape over it once for yuks, and it was as if the tape were sellotape

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54