DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lesson Learnt : Always Hand Pick while landing

networth

Reactions
I just got the mavic 3 days back and I was not getting proper place to fly. So, I went to my terrace, which had only hardly 50 cm radius blank.
I took from there and did a nice flight.

But when I did RTH, I felt some weird behavior by the bird.
It was going up and up by itself and flying crossing the line of home point.

HOME point was locked, home height was set to 60m too.

Very weird 1st point.

So, I switch off RTH and manually made the drone come to near to the 50cm radius area.

I kept on descending to make it to the accurate that 50cm radius spot.

But when it was hardly 30-40cm above ground, the mavic itself moved backwards and got hit to my terrace one small plant and went upside down and all the 4 props got scratched.

Thats very weird, because 1st RTH did not work and land to accurate area, then when I landed manually, it went mad at 30cm height.

So, it seems whenever you fly from very complex areas, its always best to hand pick it and switch off the motors.

I just changed all 4 props.
Lesson learnt.
Now, I dont trust RTH :(

I had 15 GPS locked.
is there a way, we can get to know from the logs, if it was mavic fault or my fault ?

You should read the manual about how RTH works.
- RTH does not engage when you are already near your home point.
- When you initiate RTH, the drone will first ascent to the set RTH height, then fly to the home location, then descent.
- To properly record the home point, you need to ascent at least 10m before you start flying horizontally.
- 50 cm is of course not enough space. You can try that doing manually when you have enough experience.

Yes, I think, I was over confident in just 3 days.
May be I should be more careful next time.

And only fly when there is enough space around.

BTW, here is what my log says.
Do you see anything wrong ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 8.54.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 8.54.09 PM.png
    232.5 KB · Views: 79
You should read the manual about how RTH works.
- RTH does not engage when you are already near your home point.
- When you initiate RTH, the drone will first ascent to the set RTH height, then fly to the home location, then descent.
- To properly record the home point, you need to ascent at least 10m before you start flying horizontally.
- 50 cm is of course not enough space. You can try that doing manually when you have enough experience.

1. I was around 600ft far, when i clicked on RTH, and it also started flying towards the home.
But I could see that, when it came towards the home, it almost crossed me at 60ft RTH height, so I thought its acting weird and I switched off RTH and did manual flying.

2. Okay did not know that, cool.

3. Means, click on slide take off and keep hovering for atleast 1 min ?
Or better to goto settings and click on RTH location set every time ?

4. yes, 50cm was dead space

3. Means, click on slide take off and keep hovering for atleast 1 min ?
Or better to goto settings and click on RTH location set every time ?

No, you need to ascend 10 meters for the precision landing feature to work, because the drone needs to take a picture of the ground from that height. GPS is not accurate enough to hit a 50 cm target.

It's all in the manual, really.

ascend 10 meters above the same take off position and keep hovering for 1 min ?
But there is no where in the manual such.

I said nothing about hovering 1 min. A couple seconds should be enough.

Page 15 in the manual lists the conditions for precision landing to work. Among them: "Aircraft must take off vertically. Take off altitude must be greater than 10 meters."

Take what he said above as it was in the manual. If you notice when you pull up your flight logs in the app there is almost always a picture of the ground on mine. Like he stated If I just tear up in altitude and take off it wont come back to my landing pad. If I rise up a little and hover for a minute it will recognize that and comes back almost (almost) perfectly.

If you ascend to 10m and hover the mavic, it will shrill at you that homepoint is recorded/updated. Fly on. 3-6FT is fantastic for GPS. 50cm is like optically guided cruise missile accuracy...mavic aint there yet.

50cm is like optically guided cruise missile accuracy...mavic aint there yet.

With Precision landing, it does. Mine hits the take off spot with less than 10 cm deviation if I let it record the home point according to the manual. And it is optically guided accuracy indeed :)

With Precision landing, it does. Mine hits the take off spot with less than 10 cm deviation if I let it record the home point according to the manual. And it is optically guided accuracy indeed :)
10 cm- 50cm.. Peanuts in the scheme of things in my opinion... If it can hit a trashcan lid after it RTH I am satisfied. :)

Reactions: enigmamdw
As said above ... as long as you do what is says in the user guide then the Mavic hits the take off point every time Even in windy dull conditions ...

yes it says point noted updated even at 60cm its regular hover height, when I slide to fly.

As said above ... as long as you do what is says in the user guide then the Mavic hits the take off point every time Even in windy dull conditions ...

Nearly dead center! BTW, where did you have your personalized "target" made?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka